Old 04-05-2020, 07:34 PM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Shoulder wipe?

Hi everyone!

There's a lot of talk about the butt wipe and correctly rotating the hips. But no one is really talking about the shoulders in the same way? Why's that?
Isn't it equally important? Otherwise you'll have a broken whip. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Try whiping a towel against a spot on the wall. You'll get both power and accuracy if you are just whiping it with one hand. Now grab on to the towel in the middle with your other hand as well and try to whip it again with both hands. It's nearly impossible to get the same power and accuracy that way. The lenght of the whip is cut in half since you are hindering it with a broken link. That broken link could very well be your shoulders if we are talking about disc golf form. And if so, you are cutting your whip in half and also messing up tour accuracy by flailing around with a big part of your body that's not even a part of the whip anymore.

So why is no one talking about shoulder wipe as well as the butt wipe? It must be important. And it's not coming naturally to everyone.

Here's a link to Drew Gibson throwing a drive in slow-mo:
https://youtu.be/ALrdHD3XMdY
Looks like he's doing a shoulder wipe as well, right?

How do you teach this to someone in a good way?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2020, 09:27 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.9
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 995 Times in 834 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by navel View Post
Hi everyone!

There's a lot of talk about the butt wipe and correctly rotating the hips. But no one is really talking about the shoulders in the same way? Why's that?
Isn't it equally important? Otherwise you'll have a broken whip. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Try whiping a towel against a spot on the wall. You'll get both power and accuracy if you are just whiping it with one hand. Now grab on to the towel in the middle with your other hand as well and try to whip it again with both hands. It's nearly impossible to get the same power and accuracy that way. The lenght of the whip is cut in half since you are hindering it with a broken link. That broken link could very well be your shoulders if we are talking about disc golf form. And if so, you are cutting your whip in half and also messing up tour accuracy by flailing around with a big part of your body that's not even a part of the whip anymore.

So why is no one talking about shoulder wipe as well as the butt wipe? It must be important. And it's not coming naturally to everyone.

Here's a link to Drew Gibson throwing a drive in slow-mo:
https://youtu.be/ALrdHD3XMdY
Looks like he's doing a shoulder wipe as well, right?

How do you teach this to someone in a good way?
Releasing across the chest is what I call it, I have a bad habit of throwing from my belly button or from my lower rib cage for a number of shots, something that with my discs only control 9-10 driver I have it works with my Valkyrie and then discs that are lower speed.
Old 04-06-2020, 02:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 221
Niced 3,426 Times in 2,090 Posts

I'm a little lost on the drill explanation.

Inside Swing Drill wipes the front shoulder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWasFdvnGio#6m4s

Old 04-06-2020, 03:07 AM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
I'm a little lost on the drill explanation.

Inside Swing Drill wipes the front shoulder:
It's not really a drill explanation as much as it's a way of describing the broken chain.
I just think that the shoulders is somewhat overlooked. Shouldn't the butt wiping drill be almost identically transferable to the shoulders as well? The shoulders should rotate in place, around the center, not around the left or right. And the shoulders shouldn't leave "the wall" behind them, nor should they push through the wall that they are lined up against. Am I making sense?
Why isn't this incorporated as the next step after the butt wiping drill? Would it be possible to do them at the same time if you get the angle on the upper body right in regards to the wall?
Like if you were to put your butt against the wall and a big pillow between the shoulders and the wall?
Old 04-06-2020, 03:48 AM
* Ace Member *

I understand you now. Need a tilted wall behind you, or use the wall in front of your feet like Inside Swing Drill because the shoulder rotation centers right over instep. If you combine buttwipe and inside swing drill you have a wall behind you and in front of you squeezing your center of rotation tighter. That is why I put these together in same vid.

The shoulders are also basically following the hips, so if your hips are moving properly, your shoulders should as well.

Tilted axis:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWasFdvnGio#t=4m15s

Center of Shoulder Rotation over front instep:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvvF6eW-by8#t=7m30s

Niced: (1)
Old 04-07-2020, 12:14 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 36
Niced 213 Times in 121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
I understand you now. Need a tilted wall behind you, or use the wall in front of your feet like Inside Swing Drill because the shoulder rotation centers right over instep. If you combine buttwipe and inside swing drill you have a wall behind you and in front of you squeezing your center of rotation tighter. That is why I put these together in same vid.

The shoulders are also basically following the hips, so if your hips are moving properly, your shoulders should as well.

Tilted axis:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWasFdvnGio#t=4m15s

Center of Shoulder Rotation over front instep:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvvF6eW-by8#t=7m30s
What symptoms would you see if someone was lagging the shoulders too much or ineffectively?

Is your intention to keep your hips and shoulders completely in sync and allowing lag or x-factor to happen naturally? Sort of like how the wrist functions in the throw?
Old 04-07-2020, 01:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by drk_evns View Post
What symptoms would you see if someone was lagging the shoulders too much or ineffectively?

Is your intention to keep your hips and shoulders completely in sync and allowing lag or x-factor to happen naturally? Sort of like how the wrist functions in the throw?
Symptoms of too much lag, is typically the hips way open at plant or flying open so the lower back is twisted and rear arm is dragging behind the back.

Lag happens in transition automatically like wrist. Not really trying to create x-factor, but resisting it somewhat/loading and keeping the core engaged and intact getting ready to brace for impact.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-12-2020, 08:14 PM

Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

Any good drill to keep the shoulder closed at the power pocket. My shoulders are usually open along with hips
Old 04-12-2020, 11:05 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 395 Times in 272 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudubs View Post
Any good drill to keep the shoulder closed at the power pocket. My shoulders are usually open along with hips
Not a drill but I think this may help. Do work in backswing:

https://youtu.be/ypfx-L8qz08

Old 04-13-2020, 02:01 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudubs View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5xfv9jPqZs#t=8m26s