Old 06-28-2022, 03:17 PM
Hiding in Kona's closet

Years Playing: 1.6
Courses Played: 69
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 121 Times in 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastnav View Post
There was an interview with Jerm on the Ultiworld disc golf podcast, where he was asked whether he saw himself transitioning to Jomez commentary only.

Besides the fact the he isn't done competing yet, he said that he wasnt even sure what was going to happen to Jomez. The current contract with DGPT only runs 2 years.

With the silver series, DGPT is clearly trying to bring post-production in house. Frankly, I think those productions have been fairly lackluster compared to the regular post-pro product, even though it's still being produced by Gatekeeper, Central Coast and GKPro.

I understand DGPT wanting to retain more control over the product. But I think it would be a huge mistake to push out the existing post-pro teams and approach. DGPT wouldn't be were it is today without Jomez and others. And they are better at it.

But, DGN will get to eventually make post-pro subscription only if they pull it all in house, so maybe that is what they are looking at. Whether that would actually pull in more revenue than the existing Patreon model, IDK.
Jomez's days are numbered by the current trend. Presumably DGPT will be looking to eat them after this 2 year deal and Jomez can transition fully to non-competitive content.

I don't know what Gomez is interested in, but if I was him I'd be running the numbers on getting investors for a Jomez Pro tour or trying to outbid DGN for non DGPT majors.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2022, 03:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,455 Times in 794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastnav View Post
There was an interview with Jerm on the Ultiworld disc golf podcast, where he was asked whether he saw himself transitioning to Jomez commentary only.

Besides the fact the he isn't done competing yet, he said that he wasnt even sure what was going to happen to Jomez. The current contract with DGPT only runs 2 years.

With the silver series, DGPT is clearly trying to bring post-production in house. Frankly, I think those productions have been fairly lackluster compared to the regular post-pro product, even though it's still being produced by Gatekeeper, Central Coast and GKPro.

I understand DGPT wanting to retain more control over the product. But I think it would be a huge mistake to push out the existing post-pro teams and approach. DGPT wouldn't be were it is today without Jomez and others. And they are better at it.

But, DGN will get to eventually make post-pro subscription only if they pull it all in house, so maybe that is what they are looking at. Whether that would actually pull in more revenue than the existing Patreon model, IDK.
I agree...I don't watch DGN. Mainly because I don't have time to watch tournaments live online. I prefer the post tournament videos and might watch them the next day or several days later. I also like being able to skip parts if I want to. If Jomez was no longer providing post coverage, I wouldn't watch disc golf coverage. It's just not that important to me.

I do watch some of the other post production company's videos....I just prefer Jomez.

Old 06-28-2022, 08:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 13
Niced 3,076 Times in 1,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFleming View Post
I agree...I don't watch DGN. Mainly because I don't have time to watch tournaments live online. I prefer the post tournament videos and might watch them the next day or several days later. I also like being able to skip parts if I want to. If Jomez was no longer providing post coverage, I wouldn't watch disc golf coverage. It's just not that important to me.

I do watch some of the other post production company's videos....I just prefer Jomez.
This 100% for me as well. I usually only get time to maybe watch 9 holes of post pro at a time, and usually never on consecutive days. I just finished up Jomez Portland coverage last night. If post pro is phased out, I'll just live vicariously thru those here that watch and give us some updates.

Old 06-29-2022, 12:28 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.4
Courses Played: 33
Niced 2,112 Times in 918 Posts

The DGPT should probably be cautious with their approach on coverage over the next few years.

If high-quality post-pro goes away, I won't watch much professional disc golf anymore.

The only time I make time for live coverage, is maybe an hour on Sundays for the last part of the round. (if I have a free hour).

Old 06-29-2022, 02:11 PM

Niced 22 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJon View Post
If high-quality post-pro goes away, I won't watch much professional disc golf anymore.
Same here. One of the reasons I don't watch most professional sports is because the events are around 3 hours. When I've got 3 hours of free time, watching TV is not what I prefer to do.

Old 07-02-2022, 07:07 AM
Hiding in Kona's closet

The Walker - Stinchcomb pairing on GK pro definitely has a lot more of that Sexy-Barri vibe than forced friendship with Pierce and Panis. Very comfortable together, nice mix of color and play by play, don’t take themselves too seriously. More time together obviously.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-28-2022, 01:10 PM
Hiding in Kona's closet

Big Jerm on the mic for DGN’s post pro coverage of the European open.
Old 07-28-2022, 08:33 PM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 18.2
Courses Played: 414
Niced 10,246 Times in 3,957 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJon View Post
The DGPT should probably be cautious with their approach on coverage over the next few years.

The only time I make time for live coverage, is maybe an hour on Sundays for the last part of the round. (if I have a free hour).
True for me as well. I won't make the time commitment to watching live disc golf for 3 days.

I enjoy my "Breakfast with Jomez."

Old 07-28-2022, 09:39 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 132
Niced 1,182 Times in 446 Posts

I think DG in general needs to be careful. The boom definitely seems to be slowing--post COVID return to traditional activities, coupled with a recession will make those $30 disc purchases less frequent. I just bought 5 drivers from Innova, $49 total--all factory seconds--star and champion plastic.

Sports equipment and viewing are a discretionary expense. If it comes to a new disc, $$ to watch others play, or gas to go play a course myself, well...

That said, I do enjoy DGN monthly coverage--about 2 months for the cost of 1 new disc. But that is with the current setup.

Old 07-29-2022, 12:58 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 28
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 188 Times in 93 Posts

Speaking of Jomez, I had fallen off watching their practice rounds lately but found myself enjoying the latest one. Only made it through a couple holes but it seemed to be more about the course and shot breakdowns and not gimmicky, for lack of a better term