Old 08-16-2018, 02:55 PM
*Administrator*

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 350
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 632 Times in 200 Posts

Static map will always be around for premium members. Browse map and route map are safe for now If it came down to it, I could re-write the browse map for another provider but so far it doesn't seem to be necessary and I'm really hoping to not have to do it anytime soon (or ever!)

The map in the app isn't subject to the new Google rules, it's only web stuff.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 08-16-2018, 03:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 157
Niced 399 Times in 282 Posts

I didn't even know about the road trip planning function. Is that a premium function? My version is to click along my route and pick courses along the way. Does that increase the number of google maps "hits?" I recently did this from Oklahoma City to Pittsburgh and was able to find exactly what I was looking for... times eight...

The map overall is definitely one of DGCR's awesome features, and I was surprised to find some DGCRers who weren't aware. Guess I shouldn't have made them aware? I especially like being able to sort by rating, though I usually skip this. Thanks Tim.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:04 PM
*Administrator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
I didn't even know about the road trip planning function. Is that a premium function? My version is to click along my route and pick courses along the way. Does that increase the number of google maps "hits?" I recently did this from Oklahoma City to Pittsburgh and was able to find exactly what I was looking for... times eight...

The map overall is definitely one of DGCR's awesome features, and I was surprised to find some DGCRers who weren't aware. Guess I shouldn't have made them aware? I especially like being able to sort by rating, though I usually skip this. Thanks Tim.
Route Planner is a premium feature. Your method works fine too, the route map just sort of automates that, allows you to save the trip, etc. As for the way you use the map, once it's loaded then anything you do with it doesn't count as an additional view/load or anything.

That said, you guys totally don't have to worry about toning down your use of the map, please keep using the site however you have been. If I have to make any changes at some point down the road you'll know about it.

Old 08-16-2018, 04:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 117
Niced 242 Times in 131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
Yes Road Trip is part of the VIP package and comes in handy if you do any long road trips. Enter Start/Finish addresses and then you can select various criteria to populate courses along your route. I usually do courses rated 3.5 or higher within 10 miles of route to see what pops up. Then you can tag which stops you want to make and add them to your trip route. Pretty much all the Browse Courses features can be applied to Road Trip. Then you can save your trips on your profile.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:46 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 286
Niced 117 Times in 58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timg View Post
Route Planner is a premium feature. Your method works fine too, the route map just sort of automates that, allows you to save the trip, etc. As for the way you use the map, once it's loaded then anything you do with it doesn't count as an additional view/load or anything.

That said, you guys totally don't have to worry about toning down your use of the map, please keep using the site however you have been. If I have to make any changes at some point down the road you'll know about it.
What if you limit the map feature only to registered users? That'll encourage visitors to register on the site.

To take that a step further, what if you limit map views to non-premium members? Essentially make it a paywall. Once a non-premium member views a certain number of maps (or other site features) in a month, they're cut off. Enticing people to become premium members (and to help offset the costs associated with the site) isn't the worst business decision.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:10 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 157
Niced 399 Times in 282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by heelboycraig View Post
What if you limit the map feature only to registered users? That'll encourage visitors to register on the site.

To take that a step further, what if you limit map views to non-premium members? Essentially make it a paywall. Once a non-premium member views a certain number of maps (or other site features) in a month, they're cut off. Enticing people to become premium members (and to help offset the costs associated with the site) isn't the worst business decision.
It sounds like Timg isn't into the pay-limitation. The registration limitation seems like a great idea to me as well, though it may be better for the site overall not to provide a barrier. I imagine any traffic is good traffic in the web business.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:21 AM
*Administrator*

Pretty much what armiller said, I don't want to give people a reason not to use the site.

Niced: (3)