Old 03-09-2015, 06:54 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 14
Niced 15 Times in 7 Posts

A lot of posts in a row here guys, sorry...

I wonder if someone originally trying to describe an insert used the word "spacer" instead. An insert could be used in a stripper plate and swapped out quickly to essentially create a different geometry for the wing of the disc.

I'm glad Discette "validated" some of my thoughts. Thanks for that! Because someone used the word "spacer" on the internet, whether correct or incorrect, it will probably never go away, even if Dave D. visited DGCR and shot down the theory himself.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2015, 07:18 PM
Eagle Member

I feel like I'm both sleuthing and padding my post count...

I've posted this video in it's own thread, but its worth a view. Below are screen shots from a video taken at Discraft.

Sorry for the large pictures, but they're worth it.

First image, a stripper plate!

Second image, the rack that holds all the plates that make different geometries, you can make out quite a few of the names.

Last image, a close up of the Cyclone, Cyclone-O?, Cyclone 2, Xtra, Xtreme, Xpress...
Old 03-09-2015, 07:49 PM
Free At Last

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,351 Times in 681 Posts

Wow! Meulen, please pad your count some more. Those pics are sweet!
Old 03-09-2015, 07:54 PM
Free At Last

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 1
Niced 1,351 Times in 681 Posts

Discraft has 250,000 discs, ready to ship. Amazing. Thank you so much for posting that vid!

(Yea, I'm a little excited, but to me, this stuff is AWESOME!)
Old 03-10-2015, 12:38 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 3
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

No, you were trying to tell people a PD is a "just a faster Teebird" ... when it has a Firebird bottom, nothing to do with a Teebird, and doesn't share the top with that disc either. You also let us know "It's actually a Discmania mold ..." as if you don't understand who makes Discmania discs and molds. The only person confused as to your fanboy routine is you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
what are you talking about? I was referring to the top anyways lol im far from a PD fanboy
Old 03-10-2015, 12:54 PM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 134
Niced 1,140 Times in 770 Posts

I bet you are so much fun to be around.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:55 PM
Big Country

Years Playing: 31.1
Courses Played: 52
Niced 217 Times in 128 Posts

Classic DGCR comeback.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:22 PM
FROLF OFF!

well I can tell you from experience the people who bag PD's and firebirds don't generally use them the same ways. I know lots of players who use tb's and PD's somewhat interchangeably though given the plastics and wear. Unless you have a FR beefy CPD I don't see it really flying like a firebird ever even if you want to try and point out it shares the firebird bottom its the top that matters--OP asked about Innova discs and the anhyzer top is/was specific to discmania. Pretty sure PD is Jussi's baby not DaveD.

Jeeeeeeeeeeez.

(From PD thread...lulz)
Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post
I already answered you in the parallel universe. Enjoy your champ PDs, if you don't like them, trade them to me!

To answer the question more directly, the disc is the most versatile in golf in terms of line and distance. Add that to the fact that it now comes in 3 plastics, and its a minimalist's wet dream. The Star loses HSS, and keeps its LSS, so it turns into a great S turn driver. The P starts out like a new faster Teebird and breaks into a frozen rope quickly, and then wears VERY slow from there. Teebird, TL, Orc, Starfire, Valk, Viking, all in one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkeberhart View Post
its a faster Teebird really,
Go throw some discs'
Old 03-10-2015, 06:04 PM
FROLF OFF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJB View Post
Classic DGCR comeback.
Lulz. Im finna drop the mic now tho. Glad to see when i post real info it gets discussed yet I AM TROLLING? ha.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:22 PM
Eagle Member

Where to start....

Bear with me as I try to explain the basic concept behind how a mold works for a disc. As always, if you have any questions at the end, I'd be more than happy to answer them.

I'd like to preface this long post by stating that I intentionally left out almost all mold components to those that are familiar with injections molds. This includes leader pins, sprue bushing, vents, springs, cooling channels, clamping plates, etc. etc. Here we go!

First we'll start with a key:
Red Plate = Cavity
White Plate = Stripper Plate
Blue Plate = Core
Green = Disc
Pink = "Spacer"
Yellow = Modified Disc

Below is a cut-away view of the mold. Refer to the key above if necessary. The cavity makes the top surface of the disc, the core makes the inside rim and underside of the flight plate, and the stripper plate makes the underside of the wing and in this case, half of the leading edge. Any place where 3 colors intersect in the image, there will either be a parting line (Red/White/Green), or a witness line (Blue/White/Green). The green area can be thought of as either the disc, or negative space the plastic will fill to create the disc.

The next image shows a cut-away as if the mold were opening. The stripper plate "strips" the part, in this case a disc, off the core, or plug. This is usually spring actuated with shoulder bolts to prevent over travel. As pictured, the disc stuck to the cavity plate, and would remain there until removed by an operator. This view shows the stripper plate geometry a little better.

Here's where I try to explain away the "spacer". I added a spacer, shown in pink. As with the green area before, the yellow can be thought of as both the disc and the negative space the plastic will fill. The spacer I added is 0.100" thick. You can see the nose is now more blunt. However, adding a spacer effectively shifts the cavity plate by 0.100", so the flight plate is also now 0.100" thicker, for a total of 0.170". I personally have never handled a production disc with a flight plate that thick. Hence, I still don't believe "spacers" are utilized to modify molds.

Next I'll throw in two "exploded views" just because. You'll notice the stripper plate shown doesn't look too different from the Discraft screen-shots I posted earlier.

Lastly, here is a video that shows a short animation. When the mold opens the cavity and the stripper plate travel together until the stripper plate reaches the end of travel dictated by shoulder bolts. The cavity continues to open to allow room for the disc to be removed. Using either a robot or an operator the disc can then be removed from the stripper plate. Depending on where the undercut in the mold is added, the disc may continue to travel with the cavity after the stripper plate has stopped, where the disc would then be removed from the cavity plate instead.