Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 02-08-2019, 11:54 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 47
Niced 128 Times in 92 Posts

Eagles FTW! It's nice to see him experimenting with the Heat. Solid, neutral to understable speed 9 disc that is sneaky long. Pairs well with the Eagle (EX).

Dave throwing the Mayhem makes me want to try one, along with hearing reviews from other people.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2019, 12:08 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 74
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 883 Times in 326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by myllys View Post
I love me the ”integrity” of broken in overstable discs that are now flippy, that Dave talks about in the vid.
Yeah, interesting that he sees a significant difference in a disc that is beaten to hell and now flippy, compared to one that is flippy out of the box. I’m guessing the major difference is the Teebird still maintains enough LSS to be reliable, where something like a Fury might keep turning into the next zip code at his arm speed.

Another thing that blew me away: “I’m making my putts again”. So in all those years with Lat64 he couldn’t find/develop a putter that worked as well as his old Aviars? This could spark a dozen different debates about him as a player, Lat64 as a disc maker, and the whole arrow vs. archer thing. Bottom line though, he can throw whatever he wants now and it will be fun to follow the evolution of his bag and how he plays this season.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-08-2019, 01:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.4
Courses Played: 88
Niced 474 Times in 251 Posts

When the Dagger was released he was like "finally I can make putts again!" Now that he's back to Aviars it's the same thing. Sometimes it's just good to mix it up.

Old 02-08-2019, 01:13 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25.8
Courses Played: 136
Niced 3,645 Times in 1,316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baked View Post
Yeah, interesting that he sees a significant difference in a disc that is beaten to hell and now flippy, compared to one that is flippy out of the box. I’m guessing the major difference is the Teebird still maintains enough LSS to be reliable, where something like a Fury might keep turning into the next zip code at his arm speed.
Stable discs beat to understable have always been more predictable than a disc designed to be flippy. Discs designed to be understable are called "touchy" for a reason. Stable-beat-to-understable discs > Designed-to-be-fliipy discs. It's the simple math that makes cycling a thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baked View Post
Another thing that blew me away: “I’m making my putts again”. So in all those years with Lat64 he couldn’t find/develop a putter that worked as well as his old Aviars? This could spark a dozen different debates about him as a player, Lat64 as a disc maker, and the whole arrow vs. archer thing. Bottom line though, he can throw whatever he wants now and it will be fun to follow the evolution of his bag and how he plays this season.
Putting is mental. He had a favorite putter he had to put away that he gets to throw again; he's basking in the psychological crutch. In reality he probably putted exactly the same with Lat 64 as he did with Innova. He's too good to not have.

Niced: (2)
Old 02-08-2019, 01:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 46
Niced 5,175 Times in 2,163 Posts

Plus, I’m pretty sure he abandoned the Dagger not long after in favor of his Judge lol

Old 02-08-2019, 01:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 45
Niced 672 Times in 333 Posts

I thought he used the Judge for step putts and the Dagger for everything else.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:55 PM
Par Member

Niced 85 Times in 39 Posts

I could be wrong, and I certainly haven't seen a lot of the DG related videos out there, but I think/hope these videos from Mr. Feldberg and Infinite will be very informative to the casual/recreational player base. Feldberg is in a unique position to really get into comparing different discs from all companies and being honest about them, I think his main focus is his Next Gen tour vs being a touring pro.
I hope to see the videos comparing the flights of the same disc with different rated players (ie arm speed) that was alluded to in his introduction video.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:52 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Niced 352 Times in 218 Posts

I much like his multi-manufacturer approach. I like to have that as well. Unfortunately, it collides with minimalism, which I also (and much more) like to have. Feldberg shows the problem well: multiple brands lead to even more discs. Even when he cuts them down (he always carried/rolled a lot of discs), he won't have a bag like Philo or Doss. As Aviars, Rocs and Destroyers (plus Eagles and Teebirds) seem to be already set, each of the other discs and brands will grow his bag. (I don't care if he does, it's just the playground for my thoughts.)

My own bag bases on P3, Teebird and Valkyrie. I played some of my best rounds with only these three discs. For more serious rounds (when I think I have to score better -- although that might not make sense), I add a Zone and a Felon. Both discs add new shots, but not as much as the three base discs. Let's take the five-disc bag (plus backups): How could I make it even more brand-mixed? Only if I replace one of my three main discs, which are all from the Innova universe. To do so, I would have to buy and work with a lot of discs, to find one that would work. It's improbable that I'll replace the Teebirds. And the P3 is the disc I throw most. Thus, actually, only the Valkyrie could be hoped to be replaced ... with something from Gateway or Legacy or MVP/Axiom or the like ...

Hoping not finding nice discs on the way that only not fit my bag. I have a great QJLS. I like that disc. I'd like to throw it. It serves me so well in field training ... but it cannot replace one of my five main discs (the Valk goes a bit farther and is a bit more stable), thus I can only bag it if I carry an additional disc. (And still, Millenium is Innova world.)

Unfortunately, it seems that multi-manufacturer bags tend to grow big. For Feldberg that's not so much an issue, his bag was big already.

Or it leads to bags like Streets', which are constantly changing, between equally great molds that actually do the same: Wizard/Rhyno/Aviar, Roc/Comet/Buzzz, RR/Sting/Valkyrie ...

... just musing around ... ;-)
Old 02-08-2019, 04:10 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1,153 Times in 959 Posts

Just a thought but we might get to see a player who in a few years goes with all Infinite Discs brand made by Innova. Like a player that used to use disc that Innova made that are now made by Infinite Discs. The player might even consider using the brand as a sponsor or partial if they go with Innova even when they get better as a Pro. Like they Drop the Infinite Destroyer like disc for the actual thing and the putter for an Innova putter that is similar to a Infinite putter.

Old 02-08-2019, 06:08 PM
Banned

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,378 Times in 1,732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meillo View Post
I much like his multi-manufacturer approach. I like to have that as well. Unfortunately, it collides with minimalism, which I also (and much more) like to have. Feldberg shows the problem well: multiple brands lead to even more discs.
It's not necessarily a collision with minimalism. People can see what different discs do, then choose the ones that they want to try. They don't have to bag all of them, even if Feldberg does.

I'm not a minimalist (I'm the Anti-Minimalist and proud of it), but even I don't carry redundant discs. For example, I don't carry a Falchion and a Champ Sidewinder; they're so close to each other in flight that they'd be redundant. The TL/FD/Leopard3/Patriot/River/(whatever I'm not remembering right now) grouping of discs that are so much alike that they're redundant is another example.

So methinks the fears of anti-minimalism are unfounded, unless you're trying to save Feldberg himself from it.