Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 04-14-2020, 05:42 PM
Par Member

Niced 74 Times in 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
Furthermore, I don't think run makes a huge difference with Shrykes. I've thrown a whole bunch of them since they came out. For the most part the Shryke is a pretty consistent mold. I see very few oddballs that don't fly right.

Dome is the key. The domier the Shryke the more it'll bomb. All 3 plastics will work. Heavy G*s absolutely defy gravity. They'll do 450' pretty easily.

Obviously with a Shryke you're going to get that flippy, floaty glide. It isn't a mold I use when accuracy is of grave importance. When you absolutely want to throw as far as possible the Shryke will get you there though.
Already ordered another star and a gstar damnit.

My real concern is that I can’t throw this disc on any wooded courses or gaps I’m nervous about because it would become a roller after a few hits. It flies like a beat in champ valk in a row sweet spot with a long sweeping turn. I know y’all had different experiences but my champ mamba, star and champ terns are more stable out of the box than this. Whereas those are glide machines, this has the sick glide, a beautiful turn, but just seems to haul ass while doing it.

Have you thrown standard champs? Better than the color glow? Too bad, I love Innova color glow champ. Sexton firebird and Allen teebird are two of my favorite discs.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2020, 05:43 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenHaavisto View Post
Agreed. My newer one that crushes is one of the domiest discs that I have bought in the last 3 years, and it just flies out of the hand fast and glides for days.
What plastic?
Old 04-14-2020, 06:27 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 65 Times in 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkles View Post
What plastic?
Both of my Shyrkes that go far are Star plastic
Old 04-14-2020, 07:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 944 Times in 729 Posts

Quote:
Already ordered another star and a gstar damnit.

My real concern is that I can’t throw this disc on any wooded courses or gaps I’m nervous about because it would become a roller after a few hits. It flies like a beat in champ valk in a row sweet spot with a long sweeping turn. I know y’all had different experiences but my champ mamba, star and champ terns are more stable out of the box than this. Whereas those are glide machines, this has the sick glide, a beautiful turn, but just seems to haul ass while doing it.

Have you thrown standard champs? Better than the color glow? Too bad, I love Innova color glow champ. Sexton firebird and Allen teebird are two of my favorite discs.
I've thrown 6 or 8 champion Shrykes. Only 2 of them are glow. The Karina Nowles one I mentioned earlier was probably the only bad Shryke I've ever thrown in any plastic. I have one regular glow Shryke with a big dome that flies how it ought to. Usually a champion Shryke flies pretty true to the assigned numbers.

BTW, I do all my Shryke throwing in the open. We don't really have heavily treed courses around here.

Lastly, I try to avoid glow plastic in general. I don't think it flies that well or glides. I've thrown quite a few molds in glow and they always seem beefy and glideless.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:51 AM
Par Member

Got a throw in today without the wind and the disc really played true to its numbers without turning over too much - a slightly more narrow valk flight path in a disc that is a touch faster and higher glide than a destroyer.

Niced: (2)
Old 04-18-2020, 06:54 PM
Par Member

Anyone thrown halo shrykes? Got a few from Japan open with a higher PLH and wondering if they will be like a mellow destroyer.
Old 04-18-2020, 07:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Anyone thrown halo shrykes? Got a few from Japan open with a higher PLH and wondering if they will be like a mellow destroyer.
Nope. Give them a toss and let us know.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-19-2020, 04:29 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 12
Niced 571 Times in 396 Posts

So I know this was labeled as a Lat thread (really Trilogy), but what is DCs/DGAs Shryke-like mold? Thrasher is slower by about 2 speeds, the Crank is too OS otb and slightly too wide rimmed, and the Nuke SS is also too wide rimmed and inconsistent. I hear the Hades might fill this slot, but with its release being delayed by Covid I'm stuck.
Old 04-19-2020, 09:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSMGS18 View Post
So I know this was labeled as a Lat thread (really Trilogy), but what is DCs/DGAs Shryke-like mold? Thrasher is slower by about 2 speeds, the Crank is too OS otb and slightly too wide rimmed, and the Nuke SS is also too wide rimmed and inconsistent. I hear the Hades might fill this slot, but with its release being delayed by Covid I'm stuck.
Discraft doesn't have anything that matches the Shryke for speed and floaty glide. The Crank is somewhat close, but it isn't as understable, and doesn't glide nearly as well. I get MUCH better distance with Shrykes than I do with any Crank I've ever thrown. Cranks will turn, but they have a somewhat dumpy late fade.

The Thrasher is quite a bit more finicky than a Shryke. They flip over and don't come back. I've had good throws with a Thrasher, but overall I didn't like the mold. It seemed like a really beat Surge.

I know the Nuke SS is flippy and inconsistent, but I'd still say its Discraft's longest mold at this time.

I think Discraft just came out with the Hades. Isn't that supposed to be a Shryke-like disc?

What really sets the Shryke apart from almost all other drivers is the 6 glide. That is absolutely legit. The Shryke floats better than almost anything out there.

Niced: (1)

Old 04-19-2020, 01:55 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
Nope. Give them a toss and let us know.
Slightly higher PLH and just a tad more stability but def not a headwind disc. The plastic feels like it will maintain stability for a long time.