Old 04-17-2020, 10:46 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 10
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 19 Times in 13 Posts
Default Types of overstability

I figure theres three kinds of overstability. The "I'm overtstable so the edge of my wing wants to get to the ground as fast as possible" kind and the "I'm overstable so I dont turn over" and "in overstable so I get to the left". Basically glide so low the stability doesnt matter, the torque resistant kind, and the glidey overstable kind.

These are the best examples of each in my opinion.

Putters
Kind 1: stego, berg
Kind 2: wizard, bb aviar, pa2
Kind 3: harp, zone

Mids
Kind 1: anvil, flat top gator, justice
Kind 2: wasp, roc
Kind 3: drone, hornet, sentinel

Fairway
Kind 1: h1, fat firebird,
Kind 2: glow teebird, barsby eagle, machete
Kind 3: xxx, viper, felon

Distance driver
Kind 1: x1, spirit, max
Kind 2: good destroyer / wraith / whatever you throw in this slot, ballista pro
Kind 3: dimension, beefy destroyer / whatever you throw in this slot

Let me know how I messed up and which ones I missed lol
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2020, 11:18 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 281 Times in 129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by InWaves View Post
I figure theres three kinds of overstability. The "I'm overtstable so the edge of my wing wants to get to the ground as fast as possible" kind and the "I'm overstable so I dont turn over" and "in overstable so I get to the left". Basically glide so low the stability doesnt matter, the torque resistant kind, and the glidey overstable kind.

These are the best examples of each in my opinion.

Putters
Kind 1: stego, berg
Kind 2: wizard, bb aviar, pa2
Kind 3: harp, zone

Mids
Kind 1: anvil, flat top gator, justice
Kind 2: wasp, roc
Kind 3: drone, hornet, sentinel

Fairway
Kind 1: h1, fat firebird,
Kind 2: glow teebird, barsby eagle, machete
Kind 3: xxx, viper, felon

Distance driver
Kind 1: x1, spirit, max
Kind 2: good destroyer / wraith / whatever you throw in this slot, ballista pro
Kind 3: dimension, beefy destroyer / whatever you throw in this slot

Let me know how I messed up and which ones I missed lol
I am so confused.

With your original wording, kind 1 is the most OS and kind 3 is the least OS.

Based on that, you think a BB Aviar and a P2 is more OS than a Zone?

And you think a beefy Destroyer is less OS than a good Destroyer or a Wraith?

Niced: (1)
Old 04-17-2020, 11:21 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 82
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,493 Times in 951 Posts

I get where your coming from here, I’ve always called your type 1 a dumping fade, two turn resistant, and three a hooking or sweeping fade.

Basically what your looking at is two types of low speed stability(1 and 3) and one type of high speed stability(2). But the way you put it and the discs you put there are pretty appropriate.

Niced: (2)
Old 04-18-2020, 02:25 AM

Niced 7 Times in 7 Posts

I get this idea. I category my Firebirds like this. I have a FAF Champ, does not want to fly. Then i have a -18 Sexton that does not turn over but is kind of dumpy. Then a -16 Sexton that is super beat in. It has that magical glidey fade and it get's really left on a RHBH shot.
Old 04-18-2020, 06:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 91
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,562 Times in 778 Posts

Blake T really spelled out this concept quite a while back with "Type I" and Type II" overstability categories.

Here's the article that contains the relevant info. Disc models are dated, but the concept is solid.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/r...ingadisc.shtml

Niced: (3)
Old 04-18-2020, 09:06 AM
Par Member

Niced 153 Times in 64 Posts

Between Speed, Glide, Turn and Fade you get a full picture of the stability of the disc. If the other numbers didn't exist and we just only had a "stability" rating then it would make sense to break down stability into different categories.
Further when you really start talking about the differences between high speed stability and low speed stability and the glide a disc has in those flight sections, it begins to be hard to compare apples to apples as even the spin vs velocity difference of peoples unique form changes how that disc flies for one person to the next.

It certainly is a good exercise to try and better understand flight differences that discs can offer. I think talking about speed turn and glide as qualifiers is still the best way to go.

In my opinion I would describe the three flights you described as follows:
Overstable so the edge of the wing gets to the ground as fast as possible = Overstable with no glide
Overstable so I get to the left = Overstable
Overstable so I don't turn over = Stable

Old 04-18-2020, 09:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 944 Times in 729 Posts
Default Overstable

I'd almost rate it more like, discs that will turn over into a headwind vs. those that won't. You get those molds that fly pretty overstable in calm conditions, but as soon as you toss them into a headwind they flip all over the place.

Discs that turn into a headwind: Destroyer, Outlaw, XCal, Zeus, Defender, Enforcer, Flick.

Discs that WON'T turn into headwind. Ultimate beef. These will always hit the ground at a 45 degree angle no matter what conditions you throw them in: Warhorse, Max, Monster, Stiletto, Gladiator, Firebird, Nuke OS. These discs also tend to lack glide.
Old 04-18-2020, 10:09 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 65 Times in 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
Discs that WON'T turn into headwind. Ultimate beef. These will always hit the ground at a 45 degree angle no matter what conditions you throw them in: Warhorse, Max, Monster, Stiletto, Gladiator, Firebird, Nuke OS. These discs also tend to lack glide.
I would agree with that list except for the Gladiator. I have owned over a dozen and they have been bagged on and off since release. I have yet to own one that is as OS as any other disc in that list. Also only my two most overstable are even comparable to that of my stable destroyers, most of them I would rate at -1, 2-3 in the turn fade category. Some that have been bagged longer are all the way to -2, 2.
Old 04-18-2020, 04:16 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 59
Niced 146 Times in 89 Posts

I agree with the poster that said in essence that so much is dependent on how the INDIVIDUAL throws than anything. I don't have the power really to deserve to own a destroyer for instance. I'll likely never get that out to 450'+.

But...I love it as a forehand that (for me) will go 225'-250' straight and then start fading.

I try to take every disc I own (not many really) and throw them long, short, hyzer, anny, and in the wind (with and against), just to see what they will do for me.

Here is a for instance--my forehand gets good initial speed, but my form is off, so it wobbles at the beginning. But since the speed is good off my hand, I need a slightly more overstable disc than my overall form would dictate. A higher speed disc with a +3 fade actually works well for me, though it really shouldn't.

I guess my point--try every disc you can with various types of throws--don't forget rollers and thumbers if you throw them. You might be surprised that a particular disc ends up being a good one for you in certain conditions. I have a Vulture that I love as a forehand roller, but have little use for it otherwise.

Old 04-18-2020, 07:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 944 Times in 729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenHaavisto View Post
I would agree with that list except for the Gladiator. I have owned over a dozen and they have been bagged on and off since release. I have yet to own one that is as OS as any other disc in that list. Also only my two most overstable are even comparable to that of my stable destroyers, most of them I would rate at -1, 2-3 in the turn fade category. Some that have been bagged longer are all the way to -2, 2.
Of the discs I listed, the Warhorse and Gladiator on the ones I have the least experience with. I've thrown 2 Gladiators, and they both seemed pretty damn beefy and glideless to me. Granted, I fully realize Trilogy has consistency issues with their discs.

The only "really overstable" disc I even bag is the Firebird. It doesn't turn at all... ever. I don't find myself needing a disc in that category overly often.