Old 06-23-2020, 11:41 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 41.4
Courses Played: 514
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 386 Times in 159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobwilson View Post
When reviewing a course, does anyone use some kind of rubric to score? In my opinion, this would allow for some added objectivity by taking away from certain factors that are more personal than truly relate to the course (e.g. Playing horribly).
My criteria for reviewing courses can be found at my site "Disc Golf Course Reviews" (created before DGCR) at the page Olorin's Review Criteria. I also have an unweighted version.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 06-24-2020, 11:59 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.4
Courses Played: 162
Niced 47 Times in 28 Posts
Send a message via AIM to magictenor1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeshoe View Post
Good topic.

Yes, I do use a rubric in an attempt to objectively review courses; however, I realize that the individual review process is an inherently subjective experience.

In my opinion, the main criteria needed in a successful rubric is allowing for "intangibles."

Attempting to remain 100% objective is silly and probably pointless. But remaining as objective as possible over concrete matters (pun intended), such as tee pads and signage, helps one stay consistent over time.

Having a rubric helps achieve this objectivity, and thus consistency.
Well said. By definition a review is a subjective opinion. There are some objective things you can factor in but i laugh when I see the words "objective review"

Niced: (1)
Old 06-24-2020, 01:55 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 26.4
Courses Played: 54
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 158 Times in 52 Posts

I, personally, have been issuing my final "disc count" on mostly gut feel, as I have not taken the time to create a rubric where I rate X characteristic somewhere between 0 and 5, and it comprises Y percent of my total rating, this other characteristic is Z percent, etc. However, I attempt to be as comprehensive as possible in my reviews in documenting what I noticed about the course, and now that I am starting to get some reviews under my belt, I've adjusted some "gut feel" ratings based on "OK, is this course *really* better/worse than (course I had rated equal to or below/equal to or above the current course I am reviewing).

This probably has generated an overall rating profile/distribution "higher" than it should be (I still have not rated anything below a 2.0, and have issued two 4.5s), but I have generated a solidly "bell curve" shape of rating distribution in that range, so I think I'm managing to stay somewhat objective.

Niced: (2)
Old 06-24-2020, 06:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 41.1
Courses Played: 396
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 206 Times in 113 Posts

Whereas I can see the hoped-for comparative objectivity of a rubric, to me it just smacks of a post-meal fast food restaurant survey card. Any of the odd or endearing quirks have been leached out, leaving a bland, numerical judgement.
For instance, I like to insert what little historical significance of the property or course that I can discover, or interactions with the locals, or nutty occurrences, or other activities in the area for the family or to fill the day.
Don't like my subjectivity? Fine. Gimme a then.

Last edited by ohtobediscing; 06-24-2020 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-24-2020, 06:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 41.1
Courses Played: 396
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 206 Times in 113 Posts

Damn time limit. I DO try to provide objectivity across the spectrum of all my reviews. For instance, weather, bad play, crappy partners, location or lost discs do not factor in my reviews.

Last edited by ohtobediscing; 06-24-2020 at 06:43 PM.

Old 06-24-2020, 07:05 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.3
Courses Played: 100
Niced 844 Times in 406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohtobediscing View Post
For instance, I like to insert what little historical significance of the property or course that I can discover, or interactions with the locals, or nutty occurrences, or other activities in the area for the family or to fill the day.
I like these types of additions when I read reviews. Locals always seem to have something to add that I don't see or realize when I'm visiting for the day.