Old 07-29-2020, 05:29 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 3
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 230 Times in 115 Posts

You'll hear the sandbagging term in any sport that has any sort of handicap.

In bowling, there are money handicap leagues and tournaments (which is absolutely absurd), so it is pretty prevalent. You'll see teams that keep their average down to try to win league matches. You'll see people with something like a 170-180 average throwing monster scores in tourneys and so forth. And anybody who is inconsistent and has a good night gets accused.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 07-29-2020, 06:28 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 127
Niced 5,148 Times in 2,006 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
Interesting. I've played way more pick up basketball in my life than disc golf, and I've either never seen that strategy or was simply oblivious.

As far as disc golf, is the implication that players have previously played poorly rated rounds intentionally so they can qualify for a lower division? That seems kinda silly. Maybe I should just be thankful that things seem pretty reasonable in my neck of the woods.
Ever watch "White Men Can't Jump"?

Yes, for disc golf, actual sandbagging would be silly---and almost never happens. It can't, in a sanctioned event with a competent TD. Theoretically, if you have a non-member (no rating) managing to get into divisions for which he wouldn't be qualified (if he had a rating), that would constitute sandbagging---but though I've read hundreds of claims, I've yet to see it documented. It almost always comes down to someone who shot well above his head for a tournament.
Old 07-29-2020, 08:44 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 150
Niced 81 Times in 44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrosscrx View Post
You'll hear the sandbagging term in any sport that has any sort of handicap.
It's organizational nature to try to make things equal and thereby comparable - but it's human nature to try to outsmart the organization's efforts.

Old 07-29-2020, 11:34 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 209 Times in 98 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
It can't, in a sanctioned event with a competent TD. Theoretically, if you have a non-member (no rating) managing to get into divisions for which he wouldn't be qualified (if he had a rating), that would constitute sandbagging.
It can, it does, and that ain't the only way.
Old 07-29-2020, 02:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 213
Niced 612 Times in 364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by araytx View Post

. . . valid point directed at OP even though I was quoted . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by GripEnemy View Post
I should play Open only (if/when competing).

I've only ever played in Am1, most of which were BYOP doubles, and it wasn't many tournaments (rate of play is ). Yes you and MTL quote the PDGA and all that good stuff, but I guarantee I could squeeze in at least five tournaments at Am2, if not more. Should I or will I? Absolutely not. However, I absolutely could "bag" those tournaments...and then I could Am1 the same way. I'm not shooting constant 1200 rounds so how would a TD be able to truly tell my skill level (assuming I don't know them personally)?

Just sayin'

First you confused me for a sec, with the "quote" when it really was a point. Took me a bit to figure that out.

Again, you're talking semantics.
the "SHOULD you" is your choice, your decision. The "absolutely not" is only a correct response if A) you have accepted cash at a sanctioned PDGA event; or B) if you have not accepted cash and have consistently shot rounds above 935 for the last 12+months in your sanctioned events (with a minor caveat for both cash and rating under 970) for A-tiers & below) -- whether you are a current PDGA member or not. You may not know this, but I, as TD, have your tournament record summary on my screen when you register for a sanctioned event. And if it tells me you are an Amateur and your rating is above 935, I can then tell you that you aren't eligible for MA2 -- even if you tell me you haven't been a PDGA member for umpteen years. If it tells me you are a pro (meaning you've accepted cash) and your rating is above 970, I'll tell you that you aren't eligible for MA1 for an A-tier or below. It really is that simple. There's a chart which says what divisions you or any registered player is eligible for; all the TD has to do is look and follow it. Then, as long as you play in a division you're eligible for, you cannot be called "bagging" (at least not legitimately) in that division.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-29-2020, 02:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 213
Niced 612 Times in 364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armus Patheticus View Post
It can, it does, and that ain't the only way.
Explain it to me, with a competent TD.

Old 07-29-2020, 02:31 PM
Flippy Flopper

Years Playing: 27.4
Courses Played: 142
Niced 1,191 Times in 496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripEnemy View Post
I should play Open only (if/when competing).

I've only ever played in Am1, most of which were BYOP doubles, and it wasn't many tournaments (rate of play is ). Yes you and MTL quote the PDGA and all that good stuff, but I guarantee I could squeeze in at least five tournaments at Am2, if not more. Should I or will I? Absolutely not. However, I absolutely could "bag" those tournaments...and then I could Am1 the same way. I'm not shooting constant 1200 rounds so how would a TD be able to truly tell my skill level (assuming I don't know them personally)?

Just sayin'
You actually just proved the reason a quantitative measure for who can play where is functional - it takes all the TD decision out and removes the opinion.

Sure you might get 5 events in MA2 and get some W's but it won't last long. A month at most (which is your 5 example makes sense). But if you are averaging 930+ golf, which if you won every MA2 event you played you would, you would get bumped out of MA2.

Unless ratings are updated weekly, there is no other better solution. The other option is the wild wild west of opinions of TDs.

Old 07-29-2020, 07:32 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by araytx View Post
Explain it to me, with a competent TD.
It is easy to play under alternate names as a non-member. It is easy to play as another pdga member. I don't know if competent directors demand identification, but I've never seen it done. These stunts won't work if you're playing where people know you. I haven't used these tactics to cheat, only to experiment.
Old 07-29-2020, 07:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 127
Niced 5,148 Times in 2,006 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armus Patheticus View Post
It is easy to play under alternate names as a non-member. It is easy to play as another pdga member. I don't know if competent directors demand identification, but I've never seen it done. These stunts won't work if you're playing where people know you. I haven't used these tactics to cheat, only to experiment.
So who's dedicated to continually traveling to places where he's not known, just to sandbag and win discs?

Old 07-29-2020, 07:46 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
So who's dedicated to continually traveling to places where he's not known, just to sandbag and win discs?
Nobody that I know of. But it's sure easy. I've only done this to play in A-tiers and to keep people from following my tournament history by searching my name. And to see if I can.