Old 09-12-2020, 11:09 PM

Years Playing: 5.1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default Rover cart mods/accessories

I recently won a Rover cart and am looking for the best mods and/or accessories. Wondering what people have done with their Rovers or other carts that would work on the Rover as well. Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 09-13-2020, 10:23 AM
Par Member

Niced 153 Times in 64 Posts

Rangefinder bag and the Cooler tube are both really well done and are the two things I use the most often. Angled umbrella holder and steering knob are both great. Big cooler is ok. Seat is way too noisy.
  • The range finder bag is very large for most range finders alone, but it works great as an extra spot for phone, keys, wallet, ect.
  • The cooler tube is great to keep a couple drinks cool and works even better as a trash can to hold your crushed empty 12oz cans. This stops the cans from dripping into your disc golf bag.
  • The angled umbrella holder is much nicer than the normal umbrella holder. The little bit of extra height you get from the angled one and the fact that you can tilt it are awesome. I have used it as much for shade as in wet weather. With the normal umbrella holder the front edge of your umbrella will drip water directly onto/into your bag.
  • When the angled umbrella holder is not on there I have been enjoying the steering knob. When you are reaching out to grab the cart from an odd angle the knob really makes it take less effort to swing the cart around.
  • Mitts, I almost forgot these and had to edit my post to include them. I play all winter and these mitts are just silly comfortable and warm. Sure they look goofy, but your friends will envy you immediately when they slide there hands in there and feel how warm they are. Totally worth it and you can put heat warmers in them.
  • The big cooler is nice for extra storage as it can hold discs in the top section or a large sweatshirt. The cooler bag does tend to sag low and I kick it with my toes when im walking, so its not the best fit
  • The seat is garbage IMO. The thing rattles like a mason jar half full of coins being kicked down a dirt road. It is comfortable but the noise it makes is just embarrassing to anyone that is halfway conscious of such things. Also the seat makes the cart feel much wider than it all ready is, and it is WIDE.

The thing that bugs me the most about the Rovic RV1D is that it was not designed to balance the weight of a disc golf bag. When you hang a disc golf bag on the front then there is way too much weight over the front wheel. Normally to steer a cart like this you push down on the handle lightly to remove weight from the front wheel and then you can swing the front wheel left or right for quick turns. Well with so much weight over the front wheel it is burdensome to push down that hard on the handle and it makes the cart feel heavy and sluggish. The more stuff you can remove from your disc golf bag and put in bags on the back of the cart it starts to even things out and the cart begins to feel more responsive.

To fully address that weight issue, my good friend designed an built a couple trays to hold the bag up higher and closer to the rear wheels. This helps so much with the weight issue. Another thing to consider is that when your bag is hanging the side walls get pulled inwards on the discs. This will make your main disc compartment feel tighter than normal and you likely will want to keep 2 or 3 less discs in your main compartment and put them somewhere else.

Niced: (2)

Last edited by doth_savek; 09-13-2020 at 10:27 AM.
Old 09-14-2020, 07:11 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 150
Niced 81 Times in 44 Posts

"Rover" (MVP)? or Rovic? Two VERY different carts!

Old 09-14-2020, 07:51 AM

Years Playing: 5.1
Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default MVP Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyooMac View Post
"Rover" (MVP)? or Rovic? Two VERY different carts!
Sorry, MVP Rover. I was just about to clear that up.

Old 09-14-2020, 09:19 AM
Par Member

Niced 153 Times in 64 Posts

Oh gosh, I totally misread that. My bad. Too bad I can not delete my post
Old 09-14-2020, 11:04 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 189 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doth_savek View Post
Oh gosh, I totally misread that. My bad. Too bad I can not delete my post
Even so, I found it very useful, thanks!
Old 09-14-2020, 01:44 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugular View Post
Even so, I found it very useful, thanks!
...but did you find yourself for just a second asking yourself "How can I possibly hang all that stuff on my Rover????"
Old 09-14-2020, 02:11 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 189 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyooMac View Post
...but did you find yourself for just a second asking yourself "How can I possibly hang all that stuff on my Rover????"
I actually have neither a Rover nor a Rovic, "Why were you in this thread?" You may very well ask.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-14-2020, 05:32 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1,158 Times in 963 Posts

Something I have seen is people talk about adding more frame to the Rover to have a seat on it. This is the big one is they raised up the two bottle holders with a piece of thin plywood that they spray painted black and used a thin layer of spray clear coat on top to protect the wood. The cart bottle holders even from what I see online, sit way too low.

Old 09-15-2020, 07:33 AM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
Something I have seen is people talk about adding more frame to the Rover to have a seat on it. This is the big one is they raised up the two bottle holders with a piece of thin plywood that they spray painted black and used a thin layer of spray clear coat on top to protect the wood. The cart bottle holders even from what I see online, sit way too low.
When I was considering the Rover I spoke to a few people who owned them, and took a look at theirs. I really doubt the frame is strong enough to support a seat. It felt like lightweight aluminum tubing (sort of like old school tent poles), not the steel that you find in Zuca. Pieces are fit together without a lot of welding, so there's a fair amount of shimmy and shake over rough ground, and torque when you pull it around corners. Lastly, it's REALLY low - and you might find some problems with mud and roots.

My takeaway was that the Rover was really good at being a lightweight low rolling platform to pull a bag around on, but it's not built to be anything more than that.