Old 02-13-2018, 01:23 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Disc Golf Questions

Hello,

I am currently in an entrepreneurship class at Iowa State University. For an assignment, we need to talk to target customers within the market of our products. I have a couple of questions. Feel free to answer any of the questions. Thank you so much.

Question 1: What makes you buy one disc over another?

Question 2: Are you frequently losing discs due to wooded areas? What made it difficult to find it? (If you did)

Question 3: Is it easy for you to switch from disc to disc? Why?

Question 4: How much do you justify spending on a long distance driver?

Again, Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2018, 01:27 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 76 Times in 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmfstartup View Post
Hello,

I am currently in an entrepreneurship class at Iowa State University. For an assignment, we need to talk to target customers within the market of our products. I have a couple of questions. Feel free to answer any of the questions. Thank you so much.

Question 2: Are you frequently losing discs due to wooded areas? What made it difficult to find it? (If you did)

Again, Thank you.
1. Certain discs have different flight patterns, and some of us like certain discs.

2. I don't usually lose discs in wooded areas unless it is super badly maintained.
3. Each disc has a different purpose, it takes some practice time to get used to a disc, but eventually you can switch quickly depending on the shot, most people don't switch their "go to" drivers though.

4. Ill spend $25 max, but that would have to be some really good design/ stamp. Normal ones I pay no more than $18 for.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:47 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 46.1
Courses Played: 59
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 167 Times in 101 Posts

Quote:

Again, Thank you.
1. Friends are throwing, read discussion in online forum

2. Occasionally. Underbrush and leaves are most typical hard to find factors.

3. Yes. I have throw lots of discs and practice with mixed field bags.

4. Typically 17-20$ for new stock premium material

Go Clones!
Old 02-13-2018, 01:48 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 38
Niced 139 Times in 73 Posts

1. Feel and flight
2. I lose more discs in long grass / brush
3. I am familiar with all the discs in my bag, adding a new disc would take some adjustment
4. $18
Old 02-13-2018, 02:09 PM

Courses Played: 5
Niced 14 Times in 10 Posts

1) Different discs have different flight characteristics. If i feel that my bag needs a disc that will do ________ i go looking for a disc like that. In order i consider:
A) will the disc likely do ______ this includes mold and weight
B) who makes the disc not that i like one manufacturer more than others but innova is easier to get my hands on a second one than say Prodigy
c) color we all want pretty discs but i'd rather have a disc that works well or is easy to replace than one that is pretty

2) Wooded areas dont really eat discs unless it bounces under a pile of leaves or in an odd crevice or somehow gets a strange wedge in a tree/bush. WATER on the other hand has eaten several of my discs. One thing I have heard people say makes them extra difficult to find is a disc with a pattern such as tie-dye or similar. The pattern breaks up the round outline of the disc and makes them more difficut to spot.

3) If you mean something like switching from my fairway driver to my putter yes it's pretty easy. If you mean swithching to a new disc this is pretty easy but there is a process. I can throw the disc pretty well but first im gonna do some field testing to see what the disc does in the real world. Then its gonna get put in my bag and will likely be thrown as a "practice shot" for a while. This means I will thorw something I have confidence in then throw the new disc if I think i may be suited for that situation just to see how it works compared to what i have been throwing. If im happy with it i will usually leave my trusted disc out of my bag and use the new disc (practice rounds) to gain confidece in the disc. Finally once i gain confidence i will throw it and the old disc on every shot where i would use them to see which actually deserves a place in my bag (done over several rounds). So yes i can switch to a new disc easy but to want to keep it is actually a process.

4) about 3 bucks. I dont have enough power to throw most distance drivers and the only reason i bag one is because they are super overstable for me and good for getting to a basket that is hidden behind an obsticle out near my max range (cant hyzer bomb it because would lose distance and not get there) so yeah about 3 bucks for whatever high speed driver i can lay my hands on because it might only come out once every 30-40 holes.

Last edited by mrtho; 02-13-2018 at 02:12 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:13 PM

Years Playing: 1.6
Courses Played: 26
Niced 12 Times in 6 Posts

Replace or duplicate a disc with known flight characteristics.

The discs that I've lost most were: (a) in water, (b) in deep thorns or bushes, (c) beneath snow, or (d) beneath deep leaves in mid-Fall.

No. Once you know and trust the behavior of a disc for a range of shots and under a particular set of conditions, you really want to stick with that disc. Hence the answer to Q1, exact replacements only.

$18
Old 02-13-2018, 04:07 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 150
Niced 234 Times in 94 Posts

[QUOTE=fmfstartup;3274441]Hello,

1. Replacing a lost, broken or worn out disc. Or a suggestion from my disc selection consultant.

2. no unless there are a lot of leaves on the ground

3.Yes. Because I do it all the time. During the winter I play night golf during the week since I get off after dark and day golf on the weekend so I have duplicates of my go-to discs, one with a light and one without. So I have to be able to switch readily.

4. $18
Old 02-13-2018, 04:44 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Niced 78 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
Hello,

Again, Thank you.

1. Familiarity and trust in a brand/disc. Also, I'll add on something that no one else has. People will try out new discs if top pros are throwing them and promoting them. It's a big way for disc companies to move discs. The thought of "If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me." type of thing.

2. I basically never lose discs when I play. Occasionally I'll lose one to water. That's about it.

3. I don't really add new molds to my bag anymore. I've gotten comfortable with a certain set of discs and just cycle through the same molds now.

4. $20
Old 02-13-2018, 05:31 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 150
Niced 234 Times in 94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegaSnapples View Post
1. Familiarity and trust in a brand/disc. Also, I'll add on something that no one else has. People will try out new discs if top pros are throwing them and promoting them. It's a big way for disc companies to move discs. The thought of "If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me." type of thing.

2. I basically never lose discs when I play. Occasionally I'll lose one to water. That's about it.

3. I don't really add new molds to my bag anymore. I've gotten comfortable with a certain set of discs and just cycle through the same molds now.

4. $20
I have no idea what any of the pros throw nor do I care particularly (okay I am assuming MJ throws a Comet because of the thread). I have to use a different form than they do due to a torn meniscus so it's not like throwing the same disc would ever yield similar results. I put more stock in advice from my buddy that taught me to play. He knows my throwing style, grip, etc.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 29
Niced 70 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
Hello,

Again, Thank you.
1. Flight, comfort in hand, plastic quality/feel
2. Not frequently, but when I do it is because it was not a brightly colored disc.
3. No. I like the throw the same molds/specific discs when playing competitively. Once you learn exactly how a specific disc will fly, it is hard to move on from it. I only throw new discs for fun or when playing casually.
4. $20