#141  
Old 07-04-2019, 12:57 PM
tomsdiscs's Avatar
tomsdiscs tomsdiscs is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 15
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 423
Niced 46 Times in 20 Posts
Default Puddle topped Firefly

My Firefly arrived yesterday.
Have not used it, will tomorrow.
Yellow.
Scales at 176.5, which is better than being underweight, I bought 2 Tour Pro Aviars, both well underweight, very annoying.

Too close to a P2 to call it anything other than a P2.

It does provide more grip than regular KC Pro plastic and is closer to KC Pro than it is to XT.

For putting, XT has much less glide than KC Pro, this disc feels like it will have a little less glide than regular KC Pro, but more than XT, so you will need to have some oomph in your putting to use this disc, it will not really be a glidy touch putter.

Probably better in windy conditions than regular KC Pro.

The problem is it is slightly puddle topped, which I hate.
Not Yeti Pro puddle, but has a big shoulder and drops from there, so slight puddle top, which means it will not shape the same putting lines, notably and most importantly, rise and fall, as a flat or slightly domey putter will.
Being slightly puddle topped, will be more nose-angle sensitive than flat or slight dome.

I will take it out tomorrow and use it, if it seems promising, I will be on the hunt for one that is not puddle topped to give it a proper testing. That may be hard to find as these soft plastics contract when pulled from the mold and start cooling.

I really like Dynamic Discs/Trilogy Classic Hard plastic, firm with good grip, yet has good glide, and this is what Innova has been missing, I assume Nexus is their effort to try and create something along those lines.

Not everybody has grippy skin on their fingers, so some need a grippier plastic for drier hands and drier playing conditions, it gets very dusty in the summer where I play.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (50.2 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (68.9 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 008.jpg (48.1 KB, 64 views)
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 07-30-2019, 08:36 PM
nitron2097 nitron2097 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pinellas Park, Florida
Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 16
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I have a pair of Fireflies. I got my first one right after they came out and I really like it so I got a second one. I had been putting with DX Aviars and wanted something a little stiffer but with that same tackiness and this Nexus plastic nails it.
I have not thrown it; only use it for putting. I throw the Sonic and a Star Aviar for upshots and drives.
I putt similar to Ricky Wysocki except I don't putt as hard as he does, but I do minimize the spin as much as I can. I have a larger hand and the Firefly feels good in my grip. I rest the pad of my index finger on the flat bottom part of the rim similar to Paul McBeth and that flat part is exactly the size of my finger pad so the release is very clean.
I love this disc and would recommend it to anyone who push putts.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 07-31-2019, 04:54 AM
Casey 1988 Casey 1988 is offline
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Pierre, South Dakota, USA
Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,019
Niced 675 Times in 581 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitron2097 View Post
I have a pair of Fireflies. I got my first one right after they came out and I really like it so I got a second one. I had been putting with DX Aviars and wanted something a little stiffer but with that same tackiness and this Nexus plastic nails it.
I have not thrown it; only use it for putting. I throw the Sonic and a Star Aviar for upshots and drives.
I putt similar to Ricky Wysocki except I don't putt as hard as he does, but I do minimize the spin as much as I can. I have a larger hand and the Firefly feels good in my grip. I rest the pad of my index finger on the flat bottom part of the rim similar to Paul McBeth and that flat part is exactly the size of my finger pad so the release is very clean.
I love this disc and would recommend it to anyone who push putts.
This makes me wonder if the Nexus plastic is the same DX blend that is currently used on the Classic Grid Aviar.
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 07-31-2019, 09:18 AM
SD86's Avatar
SD86 SD86 is online now
Snowflake
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Atlanta, GA
Courses Played: 8
Posts: 8,848
Niced 2,000 Times in 1,497 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
This makes me wonder if the Nexus plastic is the same DX blend that is currently used on the Classic Grid Aviar.
No, it's not.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 07-31-2019, 10:12 AM
Monkeypaws's Avatar
Monkeypaws Monkeypaws is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SE Minnesota
Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 57
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 3,454
Niced 244 Times in 160 Posts
Default

I've had one in the bag for the last week or so. Not gonna kick the Swan/Crown combo out of the bag, yet.

This is a great feeling putter. I like it for longer putts.

I have gone with softer putters for years, but I really like the stiffness of the plastic on the Firefly.

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 07-31-2019, 06:42 PM
Casey 1988 Casey 1988 is offline
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Pierre, South Dakota, USA
Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,019
Niced 675 Times in 581 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
No, it's not.
Thanks!

So then is it like old stiff R-Pro or the DX used on the Dragon?
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old 07-31-2019, 07:10 PM
SD86's Avatar
SD86 SD86 is online now
Snowflake
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Atlanta, GA
Courses Played: 8
Posts: 8,848
Niced 2,000 Times in 1,497 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
Thanks!

So then is it like old stiff R-Pro or the DX used on the Dragon?
It's not really like Dragon plastic (stated from my experience of a sample of one Dragon disc). I'm not very familiar with the R-Pro plastic.

The closest thing to the Nexus in the Firefly that I know of is the very good XT plastic in my Bullfrog, and the Nexus is a bit firmer than regular Pro P2s. Sorry if I'm not describing it well; indeed, I had to buy a Firefly just to satisfy my curiosity on what Nexus was like. Curiosity killed the cat, and satisfaction brought him back.
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old 07-31-2019, 07:40 PM
Casey 1988 Casey 1988 is offline
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Pierre, South Dakota, USA
Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,019
Niced 675 Times in 581 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
It's not really like Dragon plastic (stated from my experience of a sample of one Dragon disc). I'm not very familiar with the R-Pro plastic.

The closest thing to the Nexus in the Firefly that I know of is the very good XT plastic in my Bullfrog, and the Nexus is a bit firmer than regular Pro P2s. Sorry if I'm not describing it well; indeed, I had to buy a Firefly just to satisfy my curiosity on what Nexus was like. Curiosity killed the cat, and satisfaction brought him back.
So the plastic is like XT for anything outside of the Nova but stiffer then XT. So Like if you mixed XT and KC Pro is this plastic in my mind.
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 08-03-2019, 03:40 PM
SD86's Avatar
SD86 SD86 is online now
Snowflake
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Atlanta, GA
Courses Played: 8
Posts: 8,848
Niced 2,000 Times in 1,497 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
So the plastic is like XT for anything outside of the Nova but stiffer then XT. So Like if you mixed XT and KC Pro is this plastic in my mind.
No, just not like KC Pro. Truly, it's something you have to acquire or hold in your paws to really understand.

I will also say this: my new Nexus Firefly, Infinite Discs Scarab in X-blend plastic, and XT Bullfrog have a noticeable smell to them, a sweet smell that I've not observed in other discs. So it's very similar if not the same plastic in all three.

And yes, I know someone will get snarky and say something rude about sniffing discs, but seriously, the odor was noticeable without trying to find it.
Reply With Quote
 

  #150  
Old 08-03-2019, 07:25 PM
Casey 1988 Casey 1988 is offline
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Pierre, South Dakota, USA
Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,019
Niced 675 Times in 581 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
No, just not like KC Pro. Truly, it's something you have to acquire or hold in your paws to really understand.

I will also say this: my new Nexus Firefly, Infinite Discs Scarab in X-blend plastic, and XT Bullfrog have a noticeable smell to them, a sweet smell that I've not observed in other discs. So it's very similar if not the same plastic in all three.

And yes, I know someone will get snarky and say something rude about sniffing discs, but seriously, the odor was noticeable without trying to find it.
That is not unusual, more recent runs of Waxy DX starting in 2018-2019 used for the Dragon have had a soap smell and that R-Pro has had the same smell the last few years.

XT the last time I picked up one of the XT Colts I had noticed it had that new Rubber/some types of Plastic smell to the disc but that was a few years ago about the time that one Female Innova Sponsored Pro player Switched from DX Colt to XT.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.