Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 15
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 46 Times in 20 Posts
Default Puddle topped Firefly

My Firefly arrived yesterday.
Have not used it, will tomorrow.
Yellow.
Scales at 176.5, which is better than being underweight, I bought 2 Tour Pro Aviars, both well underweight, very annoying.

Too close to a P2 to call it anything other than a P2.

It does provide more grip than regular KC Pro plastic and is closer to KC Pro than it is to XT.

For putting, XT has much less glide than KC Pro, this disc feels like it will have a little less glide than regular KC Pro, but more than XT, so you will need to have some oomph in your putting to use this disc, it will not really be a glidy touch putter.

Probably better in windy conditions than regular KC Pro.

The problem is it is slightly puddle topped, which I hate.
Not Yeti Pro puddle, but has a big shoulder and drops from there, so slight puddle top, which means it will not shape the same putting lines, notably and most importantly, rise and fall, as a flat or slightly domey putter will.
Being slightly puddle topped, will be more nose-angle sensitive than flat or slight dome.

I will take it out tomorrow and use it, if it seems promising, I will be on the hunt for one that is not puddle topped to give it a proper testing. That may be hard to find as these soft plastics contract when pulled from the mold and start cooling.

I really like Dynamic Discs/Trilogy Classic Hard plastic, firm with good grip, yet has good glide, and this is what Innova has been missing, I assume Nexus is their effort to try and create something along those lines.

Not everybody has grippy skin on their fingers, so some need a grippier plastic for drier hands and drier playing conditions, it gets very dusty in the summer where I play.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (50.2 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (68.9 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 008.jpg (48.1 KB, 64 views)
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 07-30-2019, 08:36 PM

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 12
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I have a pair of Fireflies. I got my first one right after they came out and I really like it so I got a second one. I had been putting with DX Aviars and wanted something a little stiffer but with that same tackiness and this Nexus plastic nails it.
I have not thrown it; only use it for putting. I throw the Sonic and a Star Aviar for upshots and drives.
I putt similar to Ricky Wysocki except I don't putt as hard as he does, but I do minimize the spin as much as I can. I have a larger hand and the Firefly feels good in my grip. I rest the pad of my index finger on the flat bottom part of the rim similar to Paul McBeth and that flat part is exactly the size of my finger pad so the release is very clean.
I love this disc and would recommend it to anyone who push putts.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-31-2019, 04:54 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 25
Niced 675 Times in 581 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitron2097 View Post
I have a pair of Fireflies. I got my first one right after they came out and I really like it so I got a second one. I had been putting with DX Aviars and wanted something a little stiffer but with that same tackiness and this Nexus plastic nails it.
I have not thrown it; only use it for putting. I throw the Sonic and a Star Aviar for upshots and drives.
I putt similar to Ricky Wysocki except I don't putt as hard as he does, but I do minimize the spin as much as I can. I have a larger hand and the Firefly feels good in my grip. I rest the pad of my index finger on the flat bottom part of the rim similar to Paul McBeth and that flat part is exactly the size of my finger pad so the release is very clean.
I love this disc and would recommend it to anyone who push putts.
This makes me wonder if the Nexus plastic is the same DX blend that is currently used on the Classic Grid Aviar.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:18 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,000 Times in 1,497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
This makes me wonder if the Nexus plastic is the same DX blend that is currently used on the Classic Grid Aviar.
No, it's not.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-31-2019, 10:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 57
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 244 Times in 160 Posts

I've had one in the bag for the last week or so. Not gonna kick the Swan/Crown combo out of the bag, yet.

This is a great feeling putter. I like it for longer putts.

I have gone with softer putters for years, but I really like the stiffness of the plastic on the Firefly.

Niced: (2)
Old 07-31-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
No, it's not.
Thanks!

So then is it like old stiff R-Pro or the DX used on the Dragon?
Old 07-31-2019, 07:10 PM
Snowflake

Quote:
Thanks!

So then is it like old stiff R-Pro or the DX used on the Dragon?
It's not really like Dragon plastic (stated from my experience of a sample of one Dragon disc). I'm not very familiar with the R-Pro plastic.

The closest thing to the Nexus in the Firefly that I know of is the very good XT plastic in my Bullfrog, and the Nexus is a bit firmer than regular Pro P2s. Sorry if I'm not describing it well; indeed, I had to buy a Firefly just to satisfy my curiosity on what Nexus was like. Curiosity killed the cat, and satisfaction brought him back.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
It's not really like Dragon plastic (stated from my experience of a sample of one Dragon disc). I'm not very familiar with the R-Pro plastic.

The closest thing to the Nexus in the Firefly that I know of is the very good XT plastic in my Bullfrog, and the Nexus is a bit firmer than regular Pro P2s. Sorry if I'm not describing it well; indeed, I had to buy a Firefly just to satisfy my curiosity on what Nexus was like. Curiosity killed the cat, and satisfaction brought him back.
So the plastic is like XT for anything outside of the Nova but stiffer then XT. So Like if you mixed XT and KC Pro is this plastic in my mind.
Old 08-03-2019, 03:40 PM
Snowflake

Quote:
So the plastic is like XT for anything outside of the Nova but stiffer then XT. So Like if you mixed XT and KC Pro is this plastic in my mind.
No, just not like KC Pro. Truly, it's something you have to acquire or hold in your paws to really understand.

I will also say this: my new Nexus Firefly, Infinite Discs Scarab in X-blend plastic, and XT Bullfrog have a noticeable smell to them, a sweet smell that I've not observed in other discs. So it's very similar if not the same plastic in all three.

And yes, I know someone will get snarky and say something rude about sniffing discs, but seriously, the odor was noticeable without trying to find it.

Old 08-03-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
No, just not like KC Pro. Truly, it's something you have to acquire or hold in your paws to really understand.

I will also say this: my new Nexus Firefly, Infinite Discs Scarab in X-blend plastic, and XT Bullfrog have a noticeable smell to them, a sweet smell that I've not observed in other discs. So it's very similar if not the same plastic in all three.

And yes, I know someone will get snarky and say something rude about sniffing discs, but seriously, the odor was noticeable without trying to find it.
That is not unusual, more recent runs of Waxy DX starting in 2018-2019 used for the Dragon have had a soap smell and that R-Pro has had the same smell the last few years.

XT the last time I picked up one of the XT Colts I had noticed it had that new Rubber/some types of Plastic smell to the disc but that was a few years ago about the time that one Female Innova Sponsored Pro player Switched from DX Colt to XT.