#11  
Old 12-04-2020, 09:39 AM
scooby snack scooby snack is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Courses Played: 1
Posts: 133
Niced 63 Times in 40 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDeO View Post
Knew this local high school coach around where I live and everyone he coached who didn't give up could throw 90 mph including his own kids one of which was adopted. I had firsthand knowledge of his training methods and it was hard, hard work and discipline. Seeing that has always motivated me to believe anything is possible if I work hard and have the right discipline.

Can anyone throw 500 feet? Maybe the question should be- can any male who is not too old and not limited by physical disabilities throw 500 feet? Yes, if they work hard at it and have the right discipline. The distance would have to be different for women as they are limited by physical ability.
This statement completely contradicts what you previously said, which was:

all the other kids parents on your sons baseball team hired professional coaches to teach their kids to throw. However you couldn’t afford a professional coach so you taught him to throw by yourself.

Not with the help of the HS baseball coach or his knowledge, you taught him, yourself.

You seem to do this alot.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-04-2020, 10:00 AM
autocrosscrx autocrosscrx is online now
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 624
Niced 641 Times in 274 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDeO View Post
Knew this local high school coach around where I live and everyone he coached who didn't give up could throw 90 mph including his own kids one of which was adopted. I had firsthand knowledge of his training methods and it was hard, hard work and discipline. Seeing that has always motivated me to believe anything is possible if I work hard and have the right discipline.
Any links on this dude?

Because the most renown coaches in the world aren't getting every pro pitcher to that number.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-04-2020, 10:22 AM
Tinkles Tinkles is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 160
Niced 101 Times in 53 Posts
Default

I thought this was a good summary of these items and definitely see likely correlation in DG. Humeral retroversion is interesting. There are physical changes that our bodies go through for high rep, specialized activities and I would imagine that applies to throwing a disc. Of course there is a combination of technique/mechanics, genetics, reps, age, access to coaching that works for you which apply to a skill like this.

I often wonder if my distance improvements are from reps or improvements in technique. Sometimes its hard to determine.

I feel like my floor continuously slowly improves and is initially related to technique but more on reps once you get the basic technique down. My ceiling seems more variable and bounces around more day to day and I think is more related to dialed in mechanics. I feel like my floor is 350' now (bad driver throw) with a 400' ceiling but even when my floor was more like 330', I could still occasionally hit 400'. Ceiling is probably naturally more variable and likely lags floor improvement.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-04-2020, 10:27 AM
RoDeO RoDeO is offline
Captain Oblivous!
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 892
Niced 71 Times in 60 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrosscrx View Post
Any links on this dude?

Because the most renown coaches in the world aren't getting every pro pitcher to that number.
I don't think so. Me and him didn't really get along at all. He snubbed my son/ had him snubbed from a few showcase teams (politics). I did like his coaching style though of intense physical workout.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-04-2020, 10:28 AM
Tinkles Tinkles is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 160
Niced 101 Times in 53 Posts
Default

Would be nice to have athlete X who starts at 40... I asked a local pro who is 42 and played for 20 years how much distance he lost and he thought around 50'. Is there good data on pitcher decline with age excluding Roger Clemons?

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-04-2020, 10:40 AM
RoDeO RoDeO is offline
Captain Oblivous!
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 892
Niced 71 Times in 60 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkles View Post
I thought this was a good summary of these items and definitely see likely correlation in DG. Humeral retroversion is interesting. There are physical changes that our bodies go through for high rep, specialized activities and I would imagine that applies to throwing a disc. Of course there is a combination of technique/mechanics, genetics, reps, age, access to coaching that works for you which apply to a skill like this.

I often wonder if my distance improvements are from reps or improvements in technique. Sometimes its hard to determine.

I feel like my floor continuously slowly improves and is initially related to technique but more on reps once you get the basic technique down. My ceiling seems more variable and bounces around more day to day and I think is more related to dialed in mechanics. I feel like my floor is 350' now (bad driver throw) with a 400' ceiling but even when my floor was more like 330', I could still occasionally hit 400'. Ceiling is probably naturally more variable and likely lags floor improvement.
I would argue that distance improvements are mostly physical effort and reps and partially technique.

Most people don't account for physical effort and reps because it happens so slowly thst over time it still feels like the same effort only the discs go farther. They think it must be improved mechanics. Saw this all the time in coaching baseball after a long winter. It would take several weeks and sometimes a few months of throwing for pitchers to get their velocity back up to where it was the previous year. It wasnt that their mechanics changed, it was that their muscular ability hadn't come back yet.

The average disc golfer I know doesn't really put in enough reps and work on effort to throw farther. They generally have good mechanics but because they lack the reps and effort they never throw really far. It's analogous to the pitcher coming off a long winter and sees his velocity down, gets discouraged or complacent, and never works on his effort and never really improves his velocity much from year to year.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-04-2020, 10:49 AM
Tinkles Tinkles is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 160
Niced 101 Times in 53 Posts
Default

Obviously an oversimplification but I would speculate that for the average male at 25 who just started playing and actively works on quality reps and improvement, the distribution would follow something like:
Sitting at 300' -> 90% mechanics, 10% reps
300-400' -> 50% mechanics, 50% reps
400-500' -> 30% mechanics, 70% reps -> personally think we are starting to get out of the "average male" limitations in this tier but I also disagree that anyone can throw 90. Could be a good concept for a reality TV show...

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-04-2020, 11:00 AM
DiscFifty DiscFifty is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,576
Niced 1,856 Times in 1,032 Posts
Default

Just poppin in to say that there is an obvious increase in throw height as you increase distance. Alot of players seem to forget that. Just recently I was doing field work with a bud who can throw 350+ low disc golf shots all day long. He was happy his discs were landing flat, sliding, etc. I told him I could magically get him to 400 in one sentence. I simply said "release the disc higher". It worked. I forget where I read it, maybe one of the gurus can chime in but I think a max distance flight path looks similar to a question mark. ?

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-04-2020, 12:22 PM
seedlings's Avatar
seedlings seedlings is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Northwest Missouri
Posts: 702
Niced 337 Times in 196 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkles View Post
Obviously an oversimplification but I would speculate that for the average male at 25 who just started playing and actively works on quality reps and improvement, the distribution would follow something like:
Sitting at 300' -> 90% mechanics, 10% reps
300-400' -> 50% mechanics, 50% reps
400-500' -> 30% mechanics, 70% reps -> personally think we are starting to get out of the "average male" limitations in this tier but I also disagree that anyone can throw 90. Could be a good concept for a reality TV show...
I’m wondering if your progression assumes the thrower has learned good mechanics early on, and the reps later are assumed to be using that good form learned at first?
Reply With Quote
 

  #20  
Old 12-04-2020, 12:30 PM
RoDeO RoDeO is offline
Captain Oblivous!
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 892
Niced 71 Times in 60 Posts
Default

Speaking of "Good mechanics", how far must a person be able to throw to where people will generally agree that they must have "Good mechanics" to throw that far?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Those who throw 500' backhand, which method do you use? Twmccoy Technique & Strategy 68 12-10-2020 12:00 AM
I'm a noob. Help me throw 500'. JohnWood Form Analysis/Critique 2 07-07-2020 07:06 PM
Critique My Form Please...I throw 500 ft. Amadeus Form Analysis/Critique 2 05-30-2014 12:05 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.