Old 03-12-2019, 07:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,378 Times in 1,523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
Really interesting analysis, guys. As a sub-400' thrower, I don't have the perspective on what these discs do when they're really pushed to their limits. It's great to hear what big arm throwers get out of discs...maybe I'll have that power in a year or two...

For my arm, the Felon/Getaway combo is superior to the Firebird/Thundy combo. But that's again probably why I'm partial to Trilogy discs over Innova -- Trilogy molds fly like their numbers for me right out of the box, whereas Innova takes a significant break in period to get there.
Yeah just know what works for you and eventually if they get unpredictable then you can add in a Firebird or the like for those situations. It's much better to go about it the way that you are, rather than forcing yourself to throw the OS discs that lots of big arm pro's do because they are "more consistent"...yeah they are for those guys but not when you have to throw them 90%+ power every time or they punish with an early sweeping fade. I know Thunderbirds can do that to me if I'm not on them.

I've had a couple Felons, and initially they took over like 70% of my Firebird shots, but over time as I've gotten more power BH and FH they really can glide out on me too much in some situations...Firebirds seek the ground on a hyzer line a bit more predictably for me. There's a reason why DD made the Criminal and also put the Felon in Lucid-X plastic. I've seen Eric Oakley throw a mellow Felon on a 375' line, it flew like a Teebird shot for most people. They take power very well if you have a big arm, but they aren't a complete wind fighter at that point. But then for medium arms they are a perfect thrower Firebird slot.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2019, 07:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 630 Times in 496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
Really interesting analysis, guys. As a sub-400' thrower, I don't have the perspective on what these discs do when they're really pushed to their limits. It's great to hear what big arm throwers get out of discs...maybe I'll have that power in a year or two...

For my arm, the Felon/Getaway combo is superior to the Firebird/Thundy combo. But that's again probably why I'm partial to Trilogy discs over Innova -- Trilogy molds fly like their numbers for me right out of the box, whereas Innova takes a significant break in period to get there.
I could bag either of the combos you mentioned above and do fine. As it is, I bag only the Thunderbird of the 4 discs you mentioned. The Thunderbird fills that speed 9 slot for me with a Teebird-like flight. I could plug the Getaway in there and it would work fine too. I don't bag a Felon or Firebird. For overstable shots I'll use a Flick or XCal. On the course I seldom see the need for something as brutally glideless and overstable as a Firebird. I don't often play in gusty wind, so a Firebird is just overstable overkill. I'd rather throw something that will actually penetrate flat for a while before fading. A Firebird generally won't.

If I decided to work the Felon into the bag it would take the spot of the Flick. I won't, though. I love the Flick. IMO its the best damn overstable disc ever invented, and no other company makes anything that's even comparable. I can rifle that thing backhand or sidearm and know what its going to do. It cuts through wind effortlessly, and actually will go a long way if thrown hard and flat.

In all honesty, I prefer Innova to Trilogy. Their premium discs fly truer to the numbers and are made of better quality, longer lasting plastic. Plus, Trilogy has this annoying habit of not giving their discs the proper flight ratings. You won't see that on every mold, but I could definitely name a few examples where it exists.

It isn't an accident that Innova invented the disc flight number system. They have that stuff down. Its like someone at Trilogy copied Innova's system, but didn't do as good of job at it.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:50 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 163
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,124 Times in 1,002 Posts

I've been tossing a couple of Felons lately, once for a tourney with a lot of wind and water, and for trying out the very wooded course I've been doing. You can use them for FB stuff but I don't really like the comparison. I've got a fresh Lucid Felon and a beat in, puddle topped Fuzion Felon and they're both better at line-shaping than FBs IMO. Neither are as OS as a FAF FB but they both glide and go farther with less effort than regular FBs which tend to be dumpy. The Innova comparison I'd make is I guess a faster Banshee. They're just decently workable despite the OS, especially on hard sidearms where you want to hold flat for a while or flex around trees. The beat in Fuzion is practically an OLF. It will turn over w/o much power, especially in wind, but a very dependable hook up as long as you don't put a lot of OAT on it. Just a really easy S-curve driver. One of my holes requires a really long turned over FH and late fade to hit the dogleg and that beat Fuzion is just right for it. I don't know if I'd carry a Felon for a pure wind/super beef driver, maybe the lucid X would work?, but it's a pretty good OS mold to cycle a few of.

Niced: (1)

Old 03-13-2019, 02:06 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 280 Times in 164 Posts

I was also going to say that a Felon seems to fly more like an Eagle/OLF with the ability to turn, but still fade. Maybe even more fade than a Thunderbird.

I have two Lucid Felons that I was going to use for forehands like a Firebird, but they really aren’t. And a Ceiminal is as overstable as a Firebird for me, but is noticeably faster and goes noticeably further if cranked on. I’ve never thrown one, but I’d guess an Ahti might be more like a trilogy Firebird. Or maybe the new Pioneer?