#11  
Old 05-16-2019, 07:57 AM
Bardu's Avatar
Bardu Bardu is online now
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 145
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,092
Niced 113 Times in 84 Posts
Default

Nice bag! Valk or TeeBird are good suggestions. Keep it simple and learn these discs. You can add discs once you find spots that you don't have the right disc for.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-16-2019, 03:58 PM
kingkoala42 kingkoala42 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 2
Niced 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Thanks for all the responses! I will definitely pick up a more stable fairway driver and possibly a more stable midrange. Does anyone have any recommendations for discs from other manufacturers? I would like to try something other than innova although if innova is the only option I will buy more.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-16-2019, 05:28 PM
armiller's Avatar
armiller armiller is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: West Virginia
Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 172
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,999
Niced 621 Times in 413 Posts
Default

Everyone should own a Comet, though feel one and see if it's worth getting for a start. Either Z or X would be a good start. For fairways, you could stick with Leopard and get another in a different plastic like DX or maybe Pro.

There are way too many good discs out there, but learning to throw them is more important than the buying/choosing process. Nevertheless, you'll find we all like trying and buying lots of discs, and we're all happy to suggest new discs for you to try!

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-16-2019, 06:29 PM
slowplastic slowplastic is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5,911
Niced 2,375 Times in 1,521 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkoala42 View Post
Thanks for all the responses! I will definitely pick up a more stable fairway driver and possibly a more stable midrange. Does anyone have any recommendations for discs from other manufacturers? I would like to try something other than innova although if innova is the only option I will buy more.
The Verdict is a good overstable midrange that isn't "too" overstable...definitely a notch or two up from the Buzzz/Mako3 but very similar in flight style and feel, with an increased fade. It would pair will with them. Although don't expect to like throwing it as much as the Buzzz/Mako3 for most shots...those discs are so good and straight and will glide well. Verdict needs power to glide well, but it won't be so OS it's not useful for a newer player looking to expand their bag. It's also a great FH approach midrange.

For something overstable, that is tricky. I bet your Leo flies well and straight-ish, with likely a bit of fade. Don't expect something more overstable to fly as far or as well. So you can either get something moderately overstable like a Teebird and not use it as much as the Leo except for when you need a heavy fade as well as wind resistance...or you can step up to a very OS disc like a Firebird and learn some new types of shots. Like spike shots, FH rollers, overhand shots, flex shots, intentional skip shots, etc. This is all fun to learn new shots with a disc like this, but do not expect something like a Firebird to go any distance or be enjoyable to throw normally if you don't have a reasonable arm speed.

Get another putter so you can practice putting with multiple discs, that is key. An overstable midrange isn't a bad idea. And a more overstable or very overstable driver is good to learn how to use, although not necessarily fun at first. You have such a good start with the discs you have, just add a few more and then see in a while what shots you are missing or what type of discs you want to add in for practice shots, etc. You don't need 10-12 discs immediately, especially with a good core lineup of straight discs.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-17-2019, 08:02 PM
curmudgeonDwindle curmudgeonDwindle is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: CLT
Years Playing: 39.8
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 259
Niced 153 Times in 83 Posts
Default

It would help advice-givers were you able to state more clearly, what your goals are for participation - in this way, the advice might better be tailored to your specific situation.

Is there a delivery that's giving you pause?
Any specific limitation (golfers in general strive for length) you wish to overcome?
etcetera...

For example, if you 'just want to get better', then the answer is play/practice more. In fact, the 'answer' is NEVER in your bag - it's between your ears, unless your goal is merely doing as others do...
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-17-2019, 09:01 PM
Pymm's Avatar
Pymm Pymm is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Triad, NC
Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 32
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,440
Niced 142 Times in 102 Posts
Default

Verdict is a go to for OS mids. Great for backhands, forehands, tomahawks. I've had one in my bag since my early days. It was one of the first discs I purchased after my starter set.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-18-2019, 03:31 AM
Meillo's Avatar
Meillo Meillo is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Ulm, Germany
Years Playing: 2.5
Posts: 403
Niced 166 Times in 116 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
Don't expect something more overstable to fly as far or as well. So you can either get something moderately overstable like a Teebird and not use it as much as the Leo except for when you need a heavy fade as well as wind resistance...or you can step up to a very OS disc like a Firebird and learn some new types of shots. Like spike shots, FH rollers, overhand shots, flex shots, intentional skip shots, etc. This is all fun to learn new shots with a disc like this, but do not expect something like a Firebird to go any distance or be enjoyable to throw normally if you don't have a reasonable arm speed.
I don't think you need a Firebird for those shots. During my first two years of playing my Champ Teebird provided all those lines to me (except the skip shots, which were too advanced anyways). The thing is: You don't need a Firebird to throw spike hyzers, FH rollers, thumbers/tomahaws, and without that much power not even for flex shots. If you increase your power (and your moderately overstable fairway driver gets more beat-in) you probably want to add something like a Firebird. Still I use the Teebird for all overhands and most spike hyzers. The Felon I bag is my least used disc. Actually I only use it for skip shots and those rare shots when I need as much fade as possible.

What I want to say: Recommending beginners Firebirds won't do them much good. Discs like Champ Teebirds will fly for them as Firebirds fly for you. And they are much more workable. Beginners need allrounder discs, not speciallity discs.

Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-18-2019, 11:52 AM
slowplastic slowplastic is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5,911
Niced 2,375 Times in 1,521 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meillo View Post
I don't think you need a Firebird for those shots. During my first two years of playing my Champ Teebird provided all those lines to me (except the skip shots, which were too advanced anyways). The thing is: You don't need a Firebird to throw spike hyzers, FH rollers, thumbers/tomahaws, and without that much power not even for flex shots. If you increase your power (and your moderately overstable fairway driver gets more beat-in) you probably want to add something like a Firebird. Still I use the Teebird for all overhands and most spike hyzers. The Felon I bag is my least used disc. Actually I only use it for skip shots and those rare shots when I need as much fade as possible.

What I want to say: Recommending beginners Firebirds won't do them much good. Discs like Champ Teebirds will fly for them as Firebirds fly for you. And they are much more workable. Beginners need allrounder discs, not speciallity discs.
You are absolutely right. I was trying to be upfront about a disc like that NOT being good for throwing or normal use at all...and if someone is not interested in trying all those trick shots, then do not get something like that until later on. I didn't get my first Firebird until like 2 years in, and I really didn't like it for the first 3 months I had it.

Something like a champ Teebird is a good suggestion because it can be overstable enough to act like a speed 7 Firebird for slower arms and do lots of those flex/overhand/etc. shots, but it isn't as completely unforgivingly overstable.

The best thing a new player can have in their bag is several putters to putt/approach/throw, several neutral mids like Mako3 style, and several neutral fairways like Leo/FD style. Practice with these for multiple lines/angles. Eventually when they turn too much or beat in too much or if it's too windy you can add in some more stable discs for different lines. But initially, neutral discs that fly how you throw them are the best for practice.

If you aren't consistent enough to throw 2 of the same disc within 15' of each other...then your throw's inconsistency has way more affect on your line than changing the mold.

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
 

  #19  
Old 05-18-2019, 01:01 PM
2naphish's Avatar
2naphish 2naphish is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: The Land Of Cotton
Years Playing: 38
Courses Played: 26
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 222
Niced 166 Times in 80 Posts
Talking

the reason i brought up an really overstable disc for a new player was not to get them to try and throw it from the tee but to have something you could throw flat up to say 100' and have it reliably hook BH or FH. most of my shots with my overstable utility (150 Flick) are relatively short shots and it is the consistency of the flight not any particular shot shaping skills on my part that make me feel it would serve a newer player well.

while i am at it, here is another disc that i feel everyone of all skill levels should have and is the best basis IMO for learning angles with.i never play without a 150 Aviar in a plastic that is comfortable playing catch with at distances up to say 75'. i encourage newer players to play catch and practice hyzers, turnovers and stall shots to where the catcher moves a minimal distance. when you get to where you can throw various lines to your partner and come close to having them catch the disc in front of their navel you are ready to play catch with a basket. same thing with putting. get a partner and putt to each other aiming right above their waistline at 25'. huge reward for the practice effort.

i know return you to your regularly scheduled micro analysis.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Beginner Bag btothej89 Bag Suggestions & Feedback 21 08-29-2013 07:05 AM
My Beginner Bag Sander50 General Disc Golf Chat 13 05-10-2013 10:13 AM
Another beginner bag... OutofStep13 Bag Suggestions & Feedback 7 07-31-2011 10:05 PM
Looking for a used bag for a beginner... joelw23 Bags / Carts / Straps / Tags 11 08-03-2009 05:21 PM
Looking for a used bag for a beginner.. joelw23 The Marketplace 0 08-03-2009 12:02 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.