Old 05-21-2019, 01:58 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,818 Times in 1,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
I've never thrown an E* Tern. I'd imagine they're pretty damn flippy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
Nope
Agreed. Not flippy, especially fresh out of the box. But they season in very well. It really is a shame Innova took E* OOP; the Tern is great in it.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2019, 02:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 630 Times in 496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
I'd have to disagree on the Mayhem. I find them to have an excellent combination of glide, distance and predictability.

I have a few molds I can throw a bit further, like the Teleport, but that extra 15-20' comes at the expense of control. Mayhem is my favorite raw distance disc for golf shots, even if it isn't my #1 during a field session.

Have you ever tried an Insanity? That's one of the first discs I let people try when they tell me they want a long range MVP / Axiom disc. The bit of high speed turn helps players from a variety of skill levels get a full flight, and it has really nice glide. Crave is another sneaky long disc. Even at my distance its raw glide keeps it surprisingly close to the speed 13 & 14 discs during field work.
I think I have thrown an Insanity, but I don't really remember it. I know I have one or two of them in my stacks of discs. I might have to dig around and find one of them. I know I've never thrown a Crave.

I don't dislike the Mayhem, but it didn't really wow me in the distance dept. It seemed to lack the glide of the Shryke. I was easily throwing Shrykes further than the Mayhem.

The Catalyst is still the longest disc I've tried from MVP. It'll hang with pretty much anything.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANBURGARLAR View Post
Has anyone had a chance to try out those new g-star corvettes? I imagine those would have some great distance potential.
I have not. I want to try a Corvette in any plastic. Reading up on that disc it looks like a massive bomber.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Agreed. Not flippy, especially fresh out of the box. But they season in very well. It really is a shame Innova took E* OOP; the Tern is great in it.
Somewhere I actually have an E* Tern. I found it like 5 years ago and its sitting in a stack of discs. I need to dig that thing out and see how it flies.

I also remember the starlite Tern being really long. Not super flippy either. For 158g that thing actually had a little beef to it.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:27 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,818 Times in 1,367 Posts

Quote:
I also remember the starlite Tern being really long. Not super flippy either. For 158g that thing actually had a little beef to it.
My Starlite Tern (don't remember the weight) was very overstable, especially relative to most other Terns, even my 157g Champion Tern. The plastic felt lousy in the hand, too. I have it in a box somewhere; it'll stay there, probably forever...

Niced: (1)
Old 05-21-2019, 05:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 122
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 481 Times in 303 Posts

Quote:
I think I have thrown an Insanity, but I don't really remember it. I know I have one or two of them in my stacks of discs. I might have to dig around and find one of them. I know I've never thrown a Crave.

I don't dislike the Mayhem, but it didn't really wow me in the distance dept. It seemed to lack the glide of the Shryke. I was easily throwing Shrykes further than the Mayhem.

The Catalyst is still the longest disc I've tried from MVP. It'll hang with pretty much anything.
Seems like we each found the mold that works best for us

If you ever come across a 160's Crave for a good price, it might work nicely for you.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
My Starlite Tern (don't remember the weight) was very overstable, especially relative to most other Terns, even my 157g Champion Tern. The plastic felt lousy in the hand, too. I have it in a box somewhere; it'll stay there, probably forever...
Starlite is no plastic I'd ever buy. The starlite Tern I have I dug out of a lake. Its a bit of a beater, but flies pretty decent.

Plastic is kinda junky.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-22-2019, 09:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 729 Times in 507 Posts

I love Starlite Terns. I just wish they were more US.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:55 PM

Niced 15 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
I have 2 really flippy terns. One is a 162g g*and the other is a 169g e* both of which have some seasoning. I also have a newish star one which is the most stable and a newish pro one which is pretty straight and way more stable that the beat in g* and e* but that is likely just due to its newness.

The two flippy ones can only be thrown on hyzer flips and I've had both go from a steep hyzer to a 90 degree turnover into a small headwind. I love them both for uphill wooded tee shots or big turnovers with no ceiling. For context, I'm probably maxing out around 350-390' with these, but they would both flip to flat and turn at 310 ish power with a normal nose down slight hyzer shot. The star would fade out hard on a sub 340' throw but its also pretty new.

I personally found these discs to be a little squirelly and unpredictable for me in the wind...and probably too much speed for my power level, so I'm trying out wraiths. I do keep the flippy ones in the bag because my wraiths can't do that - at least yet.

Old 05-23-2019, 02:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkles View Post
I have 2 really flippy terns. One is a 162g g*and the other is a 169g e* both of which have some seasoning. I also have a newish star one which is the most stable and a newish pro one which is pretty straight and way more stable that the beat in g* and e* but that is likely just due to its newness.

The two flippy ones can only be thrown on hyzer flips and I've had both go from a steep hyzer to a 90 degree turnover into a small headwind. I love them both for uphill wooded tee shots or big turnovers with no ceiling. For context, I'm probably maxing out around 350-390' with these, but they would both flip to flat and turn at 310 ish power with a normal nose down slight hyzer shot. The star would fade out hard on a sub 340' throw but its also pretty new.

I personally found these discs to be a little squirelly and unpredictable for me in the wind...and probably too much speed for my power level, so I'm trying out wraiths. I do keep the flippy ones in the bag because my wraiths can't do that - at least yet.
My 2 flippy star Terns will do about 450' regularly. A slight hyzer release is obviously needed though. Also, they're useless in a headwind, no matter how much you hyzer them. Terms simply are not headwind discs.

If you like star Terns, but want something a hair beefier, try a heavy champion Tern. Same feel and flight, but it'll take a little more to flip it over. Champion Terns also aren't quite as long as stars.

I don't like G* Terns. They're flat, very flippy, and just don't do what I want them to. Even on perfect lines they don't seem to glide as well as regular stars.

Last edited by Twmccoy; 05-23-2019 at 02:40 PM.