Old 05-17-2019, 04:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,377 Times in 1,523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parbequeue View Post
I think my issue with the sequence is that I’m
Concentrating so much on the equal and opposite swing/plant motion. When I delay the plant the backswing is too early. And vice versa. Got to find that sweet spot.

Is there anything going right for me at the moment? Because I do feel a more effortless drive on my shots recently.
Yeah you're definitely on track and making progress. The shoulder plane difference will have a huge change in the leverage and just how "easy" the throw feels. When it works out with that tilted shoulder plane, I don't feel anything really with the release and the disc just carries. I usually notice it covers the first 150' or so way faster than I expect and then it keeps gliding. The throws don't really feel any different to me, but the disc goes.

Be aware of equal and opposite, but don't force it. I would focus more on continual leverage and creating room for the backswing, which will in turn create room for the forward swing. I'm still experimenting with it, but it feels to me that when the disc is just crossing your rear leg that's when it starts to remain in place. So that's when you can start really turning back and shifting/gliding forward. If you do that, your upper body will essentially turn back an equal amount so the disc will remain in place. Don't force an "equal" amount with the arm, just turn back with the hips which turn the torso which turns the shoulders. Let it happen more naturally and later, which leads to a longer and more relaxed feeling.

Then when you plant, wait to throw, and have the torso turn so the rear shoulder comes through the same place. It'll feel very delayed again before you start to swing.

For me it's best to do this just trying little 200' putter standstill shots. If you connect it'll end up going 50'+ farther than you meant to throw. Focus on the balance, feel, and release leverage, not how far or hard you are throwing.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2019, 04:15 PM
Par Member

Niced 9 Times in 8 Posts

Fantastic advice thankyou SP. I’m
Playing my first b-tier this weekend so have to forget the form stuff momentarily (not totally ...!)

I’ll work in these things and get back you. Thanks again!

Niced: (1)
Old 05-17-2019, 08:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.9
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,404 Times in 1,496 Posts

I agree with SP, I'll add that your head is beating your disc in the backswing and disconnecting things. Keep your eyes locked on your disc so everything moves back together.

You are still over shifting/tipping/tilting/swaying your hips too far back in the backswing instead of turning/clearing the rear hip targetward "from behind". Your front hip should rotate back lower underneath the rear hip in the backswing so the hips tilt / like pendulum. That is what pendulums the shoulder as well.

If you take a swivel chair and tilt the chair so you are in more of an upright squat instead of horizontal seated position your pelvis rotates on a pendulum then and the upper body just follows.

Old 05-17-2019, 08:54 PM
Par Member

Niced 9 Times in 8 Posts

Thanks SW. It’s going to be a hard habit to break...
I’m Working on it!!

I wanted to concentrate on the timing more than anything else for the moment, but when I do try to rotate more inside, it feels like I’m going to just fall onto my plant leg, is this when you describe the plant leg “catching” and then rotating?
Old 05-17-2019, 09:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parbequeue View Post
I wanted to concentrate on the timing more than anything else for the moment, but when I do try to rotate more inside, it feels like I’m going to just fall onto my plant leg, is this when you describe the plant leg “catching” and then rotating?
Yeah that sounds right...turning the hips back to really cause/leverage the backswing gets your butt closer to the plant foot, so it's easier then to just fall/drop to where the plant foot will be.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:19 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.9
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,404 Times in 1,496 Posts

Yep, that sounds more like moving equal and opposite in the backswing. Should feel more G-forces and width in the backswing pulling the arm/disc taut while the pelvis rotates counterclockwise and starts falling forward backward aka "the shift from behind". So your rear side posture needs to stiffen up or extend somewhat in the backswing to rotate the pelvis and to not collapse back or get pulled away off balance from the target with those G-forces of the backswing pulling on your body/CoG. By keeping the rear hip inside the rear foot, then you have better leverage during the fall and can accelerate your whole CoG forward from the ground up underneath you into the plant, instead of leveraging a tip or push of your CoG over the plant leg.

Open to Closed Drill:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwy1HNMfhbk#t=6m57s
Old 05-21-2019, 03:54 PM
Par Member

Niced 9 Times in 8 Posts

Afternoon guys!

Well, the weekend went pretty great! I took home 1st place in ma4. By a large amount... should’ve gone up a division but there wasn’t any room in intermediate. My wonky form got me through though! But after watching the pros I’m eager than ever to get this dialed in.

Really trying to get inside the rear foot here. Please excus the plethora of other issues; high shoulder, not watching the disc exactly to name a few!

https://youtu.be/6O61WGnaEf4

I’ve been trying to fall onto my plant leg, but find it’s harder to maintain upright posture, will take some getting used to.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Don't focus on that max backswing/planting/stretched out position as much, like what you're doing at the end of the video. My form improved a lot when I stopped trying to get to that snapshot of a position as a goal...that's not where the acceleration starts. The acceleration is after you're on the right leg, after you've already had your weight clear and your arm/disc are near the chest. That's kind of the position to think about.

You don't take baseball practice swings by getting to the loaded back position and stopping. That's not what you have to practice. You imagine that last foot or two of the swing into where the ball will be. Same thing with the arm swing in disc golf.

I think you're turning your shoulders/head/upper body ahead of the hips a bit in the backswing. You are also unnecessarily rotating your right leg inward at the hip as you lift it off the ground...my form also improved a lot when I stopped trying to force that internal rotation. Just step the foot out and catch yourself, it'll look closed enough. Don't try to close the leg consciously, it seems to be unnecessary.

I also think your left arm is getting left behind on the wrong side of your torso really early. I don't know what is the best thing to do with the left arm, but I don't think it's what you're currently doing.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:18 PM
Par Member

Niced 9 Times in 8 Posts

The thing is SP, I find this position and the internal rotation (regarding the backswing hips position) so foreign. By doing it it helps me feel what the internal rotation feels like, so I do those as a exaggeration to get the feeling. But I will stop that if it’s hindering me.

I’m
Not sure why my foot does that I don’t forcibly make it turn inside. I think it’s bevause I’m trying so hard to keep inside my rear leg when I rotate. Perhaps I should load less?

So I really should be concentrating on moving my hips before everything else?
Am I correct in saying once I do the “fall” onto the plant leg, my hips will fire naturally? So it’s just a case of waiting until that happens then rotating the shoulders like a spinning top?

Last edited by Parbequeue; 05-21-2019 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Clarification

Old 05-21-2019, 05:51 PM
* Ace Member *

So much emphasis is put on having the plant foot closed, that for a long time I would also rotate my right hip internally when lifting my right foot off the ground or striding it in the X-step. It would just pre-open back to a natural position as I planted anyways, and make things feel weird to lift the leg during the steps before that. If you are set up at an angle and stride naturally, the foot will land closed enough. As long as you know not to pre-open the foot then it should be fine.

If you swing something heavy back and forth in the pendulum motions, continually, you should feel when you need to turn the hips/torso to get them out of the way and have it all sync up with the arm. Right from the start of your clip, your head is 45-90 degrees ahead of the arm in turning back, it's leading the backswing. If your head is just balanced on the spine, then everything should be turning more together. Turning shoulders first means that they aren't leveraged from the lower body.

As far as what to move first...the more connected I've been trying to stay through my torso the better results I've had. The lower body is what I concentrate on moving so that the base of my balance gets to the right place, but I try to keep my upper body with the lower body so it all lands ready to balance. No hips then shoulders firing, I try to keep things together and wait to use my shoulders...so yes my shoulders get used after the hips but I don't think about lagging them or moving the hips first or anything. I just wait to swing the upper body basically once my arm feels loaded and arcing.

I also don't try to "spin" the shoulders, I try to fire the arm out and let the shoulders swing through together. Basically the shoulders swing together like I'm doing a hockey slapshot...they turn at the same pace. But my throwing arm feels like it swings away/out from my body. It doesn't feel like yanking or spinny, it feels outward.