Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 08-02-2014, 07:30 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 120
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 75 Times in 46 Posts

Novas are very straight even at very low speeds. To me the flight is halfway between a lid and an Aviar P&A. I love the way it hovers down flat when it runs out of steam. It's currently my go to putter and just love the flight. The only issue for me is that the feel is a little deeper than I would prefer. I keep going back a forth on trying something else with a smaller rim. I've tried a few but keep going back to the Nova because of the straight flight.

I also keep a foxbat in the bag. This is another super low fade disc. Mine has significant turn, huge glide and zero fade. Many discs that turn at least try to come back at the end. When the Foxbat goes right it's not coming back. It's my go to disc for right turning shots. You can even throw it high in the air and it won't fade left - very unique disc in my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2014, 07:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 13
Niced 86 Times in 43 Posts

Put a Hulk dye on that purple and green nova and Hulk Smash some chains!

Niced: (1)
Old 08-02-2014, 07:47 PM
Par Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46YearOldSlinger View Post
Novas are very straight even at very low speeds. To me the flight is halfway between a lid and an Aviar P&A. I love the way it hovers down flat when it runs out of steam. It's currently my go to putter and just love the flight. The only issue for me is that the feel is a little deeper than I would prefer. I keep going back a forth on trying something else with a smaller rim. I've tried a few but keep going back to the Nova because of the straight flight.

I also keep a foxbat in the bag. This is another super low fade disc. Mine has significant turn, huge glide and zero fade. Many discs that turn at least try to come back at the end. When the Foxbat goes right it's not coming back. It's my go to disc for right turning shots. You can even throw it high in the air and it won't fade left - very unique disc in my opinion.
Dang! Your whole post makes me super interested in trying out both discs.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:48 PM
Par Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodysseus View Post
Put a Hulk dye on that purple and green nova and Hulk Smash some chains!
That is actually a REALLY good idea.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:01 AM
Par Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nothing too facinating in this post. There are more/better Nova threads to find. But I thought I'd jot down a few of my thoughts as the Nova relates to the "lid" spot in my bag.

Picked up that Nova today (weight = 172) and took it out for a casual "try stuff out" round.

As has been pointed out, yeah, it's NOT a lid. The neutral flight does give it some similar characteristics. But it doesn't really throw/fly like one. I found the Nova to be...touchy? Sort of a like a comet-putter. It demanded a lot more smoothness than I was expecting. At least the way I throw, lids don't require that of me as much. Sure, you can overmuscle a lid if you're that type of thrower. But I have a lot of love for the wristy finesse shot. So I really enjoy polecats/rattlers/etc.

The Nova is a really interesting disc though. Driving was tough. Getting a clean release requires a smooth throw. Upshots are fascinating for the ability to park a disc right at the basket. I had a hard time ranging it and tended to underthrow a bit. But I'm using it in place of a 150 Polecat that is much glidey-er (that's not a word). Plus, there isn't much skip/skitter on the ground even on low shots. Overall, with some practice my ranging should improve. Putting is decent. After just one round of messing and some practice basket tossing, I still like my regular putters better. Still, I could see how someone would really get into putting with the Nova. Particularly if they were a spin putter.

Speaking of that, it really seems to like spin. Too little and you can really lose that "flies straight/drops straight down" coolness.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:00 AM

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 11
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

The Nova did not fit my hand well and did not make the bag. The Foxbat is in my bag and is a very useful disc. very straight if thrown with slight hyzer and if thrown flat, the foxbat will turn slightly and stay on that line. No fade at all on the end. Very good disc and would recommend trying one.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:43 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 20
Niced 16 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photoguy View Post
Is throwing a nova something like throwing a rattler in terms of feel? I know the deep dish of lids like that or the super puppy can be annoying in some hands.
I haven't picked up anything that feels like a Rattler. That said, the Nova has at least temporarily supplanted the Rattler in my bag. I'm not sure it's permanent yet, but there are aspects of the Nova which are endearing, chiefly the aforementioned 'hit-and-stick'. I was using the Rattler as a long range 'lob' putter and under 175' anny disc, but was scared of it in the wind. I'm finding the Nova to a be a similar performer in my hands for those roles and slightly faster for an uptick in wind handling. I splashed out using the Nova a lot this past week though... could that ever have anything to do with the mold? Anyways, I digress. I like the Rattler - and the Nova, but they feel quite different in hand.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:22 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

The Nova intriques me. I have yet to throw one. The Foxbat, which I have thrown only a few times came across as under stable. So under stable it's actually beneath under stable, under-under stable.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:01 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 41
Niced 8 Times in 7 Posts

I've used a nova from the start as my main putter and upshot disc. I love how I can just get it to fly straight and just die with a nose up throw. Takes some practice to get that range dialed in as it is different but once you have it it's money. Only thing I don't like about it is that it is so deep and I have small hands. Every once in a while it just comes out funny because of this. I'm currently trying a summit to see if I want to switch and am undecided...

Old 08-04-2014, 10:16 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 20
Niced 43 Times in 28 Posts

I am not a nova fan. The McPro and Rpro (soon to be g*) aviar and KC Pro and G* beaded aviar take care of all my putting needs. I was also skeptical of the foxbat at first. I tried a friends 170 and it was fun. A little more forgiving to too much power than a DX Wolf or Stingray, but still as flippy and in premium plastic. I bought a 180g thinking it would help with it turning over too much, but that disc ended up flying just about the same as my mako3. I liked the lines I could make with the 170, so I tried one more, a 175 F2. This one was perfect. Hyzer flips close to leopard distance, and stays right when thrown flat or anhyzer no matter how little snap you give it. That disc was so perfect that I overthrew it into a clump of kudzu you could lose a house in.

Since then I have been searching for another one I like as much. I got a used 171 first run, and it is too flippy unless I am throwing a stand still finesse type shot. The next 175 f2 I got feels great in hand due to less dome, but it has nowhere near the glide of the other Foxbats I have.