Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 01-05-2015, 10:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 201
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

How does the Proxy compare to the Theory? Those two confuse the crap out of me for some reason.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2015, 11:24 PM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,035 Times in 527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppydisc View Post
How does the Proxy compare to the Theory? Those two confuse the crap out of me for some reason.
Proxy is a low profile, straight flying putter. Theory is an understable, but not "flippy," short-ish midrange.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:24 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 69
Niced 94 Times in 64 Posts

At lower to even medium power, there will be some overlap between the Proxy and Theory, maybe, but the Proxy is really just straight, all the time. It's basically what you'd look for in a beat up Envy, if the Envy were capable of getting really beat up.

My .02, the Proxy is more HSS than the Theory for sure, and maybe on some throws it seems like the Proxy has a tick more LSS as well. Not that it ever really dumps, it's just maybe not quite as neutral finishing as the Theory. I think on anny shots that you really need to hold it, the Theory, like, leans into the anny better and holds it a bit better, so they can both cover that shot, but the Theory needs less angle to do it the same shot than the Proxy. The separation becomes clearer the harder you throw them.

Theory's not as deep in the hand, may be the biggest difference for the intermediate-type thrower.

If you're using the Theory more as an approach type mid rather than a rip-it driving mid, and already use something like the Envy for windy/more OS approaches, there may not be a reason to bag both.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:36 AM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 134
Niced 1,087 Times in 730 Posts

Putters: Envy is to pure as proxy is to spike ... theory is a fuse without the stupid glide.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:37 AM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 1
Niced 1,035 Times in 527 Posts

The Theory is a tick more understable, even at approach distances. I feel like the Proxy wants to hold a hyzer line better, where the Theory wants to flip flat. But I agree that if you're not driving either of them, there will be some overlap.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:23 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

You have to throw the theory just right to have it go US, most throws with me it goes OS. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it in my bag. Still dialing it in.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:50 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 201
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro71 View Post
At lower to even medium power, there will be some overlap between the Proxy and Theory, maybe, but the Proxy is really just straight, all the time. It's basically what you'd look for in a beat up Envy, if the Envy were capable of getting really beat up.

My .02, the Proxy is more HSS than the Theory for sure, and maybe on some throws it seems like the Proxy has a tick more LSS as well. Not that it ever really dumps, it's just maybe not quite as neutral finishing as the Theory. I think on anny shots that you really need to hold it, the Theory, like, leans into the anny better and holds it a bit better, so they can both cover that shot, but the Theory needs less angle to do it the same shot than the Proxy. The separation becomes clearer the harder you throw them.

Theory's not as deep in the hand, may be the biggest difference for the intermediate-type thrower.

If you're using the Theory more as an approach type mid rather than a rip-it driving mid, and already use something like the Envy for windy/more OS approaches, there may not be a reason to bag both.
Nice summary. Thanks. Testing the Theory now vs my many Fuses. Proxy sounds like it is not needed. Cool.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:38 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 69
Niced 94 Times in 64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppydisc View Post
Nice summary. Thanks. Testing the Theory now vs my many Fuses. Proxy sounds like it is not needed. Cool.
yeah, no sweat. It's the kind of statement that gets people hating on me here, but they can do a lot of the same things. I've got both in my 'big bag' right now, but mostly because both are in the tryout stage.

I've already hit metal like 4 times from 100-200 in like 3 rounds with the Proxy, so looks like it's in.

Still not 100% convinced I 'need' the Theory.
Old 12-14-2016, 06:03 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 120
Niced 75 Times in 46 Posts

I'm a long time Proxy thrower and absolutely love it. It's the straightest disc in my bag and gets used for most of my upshots. It can be used for dead straight, annys, or hyzers (preferred for upshots if given an open field). Well today I tested a Pure and found it to be almost identical to my Proxy. Later in the the day I had a shoot off and dang these discs are close in every area from speed to glide to pure straightness and line holding. My testing was between a neutron Proxy and Opto Pure. I may switch to Pures just because they're made in soft hit and stick plastic but for drives with harder plastic these discs are pretty dang similar.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:10 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 26
Niced 51 Times in 42 Posts

I am about to test a max weight champ Dart for this slot in my bag, but these suggestions sound great, I may have to try some