Old 09-06-2017, 12:55 AM
Par Member

Niced 106 Times in 58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zj1002 View Post
They all fit a gap/line without being bad versions. Pretty happy overall. You won't see us hiding from the fact that colors can fly a little different.
This is what I am really liking about this mold. I will always think of fairways in terms of Innova's bird slots; TL, Teebird, Eagle, Thunderbird, Firebird. All great molds no question (though I bag none of them), but there are nuances to each one that make them great. In the Alpha I feel the good attributes of those molds are combined often and the variation, subtle variation at that, covers down all slots out of the box. It's pretty great:

Blue Eternal: TL/Teebird
Blue Apex: TL/Thunderbird
White Apex/Dark Blue Sublime: Teebird/Thunderbird
Light Blue Sublime: Thunderbird/Eagle
Yellow Apex: Thunderbird/Firebird
Pink Eternal (1st Run): Teebird/Eagle

Want the HSS of a TB with the LSS bite of an Eagle? Grab a pink eternal. The shapeability of the TL with the distance, speed and sweeping fade of a Thundy? Grab a blue apex.

Great mold, really can't imagine someone not finding what they want in an OS fairway in the Alphas somewhere.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2017, 09:23 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 28
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 225 Times in 109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsk View Post
This is what I am really liking about this mold. I will always think of fairways in terms of Innova's bird slots; TL, Teebird, Eagle, Thunderbird, Firebird. All great molds no question (though I bag none of them), but there are nuances to each one that make them great. In the Alpha I feel the good attributes of those molds are combined often and the variation, subtle variation at that, covers down all slots out of the box. It's pretty great:

Blue Eternal: TL/Teebird
Blue Apex: TL/Thunderbird
White Apex/Dark Blue Sublime: Teebird/Thunderbird
Light Blue Sublime: Thunderbird/Eagle
Yellow Apex: Thunderbird/Firebird
Pink Eternal (1st Run): Teebird/Eagle

Want the HSS of a TB with the LSS bite of an Eagle? Grab a pink eternal. The shapeability of the TL with the distance, speed and sweeping fade of a Thundy? Grab a blue apex.

Great mold, really can't imagine someone not finding what they want in an OS fairway in the Alphas somewhere.
Yup exactly.

I'm rocking this in order of stability:
First Run Sublime 170g Blue-green
First Run Eternal 170g Light Blue
2nd Run Apex 172g Purple
1st Run Eternal 174g Orange
2nd Run Eternal 173g Candy Pink
2nd Run Apex 173g Yellow

A couple overlap, and I'd go more simple in a tournament, but I can play most courses with just this bag, and a couple mids/putters. Don't "need" distance drivers since they Alpha can stretch out pretty far.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-07-2017, 06:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 45
Niced 530 Times in 270 Posts

I received my green Eternal Alpha in the mail yesterday. For a fairway driver, I was kind of surprised at how wide the rim felt. It has a 2.0 cm rim which puts it in line with an Orc/Beast/Monster/Starfire. The profile is much higher than a typical distance driver though, which I am guessing is what drops it into the speed 8 fairway category.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocheez View Post
I received my green Eternal Alpha in the mail yesterday. For a fairway driver, I was kind of surprised at how wide the rim felt. It has a 2.0 cm rim which puts it in line with an Orc/Beast/Monster/Starfire. The profile is much higher than a typical distance driver though, which I am guessing is what drops it into the speed 8 fairway category.
Correct it is a little taller than those drivers. The domey ones will feel more like a fairway to you. I agree the really flat ones feel a lot faster in the hand, but that is what a flat dome does for any disc. You'll find it flies more like a fairway/control driver.

Also of note, what we consider fairway may not be what other manufacturers label it as. We attempted to categorize it as how we thought it should be thrown not where it needed to fit. We'll try to stick that above all else. In some ways we'll conform to the market(base flight ratings) and in others we'll try to do things different(Power Fairway & flight ratings per color).

I chose to just put Power Fairway on there because I knew the base rating may not always be accurate but I wanted people to know where it fits in the bag. So we kept the ratings off and let Power Fairway do the talking. I think if I had just put Control or Fairway Driver plus the flight ratings, people may have different expectations for the disc and not enjoy it as much. Probably way too much thought for one disc, but that is what we try to do at MINT...

Last edited by zj1002; 09-08-2017 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 45
Niced 530 Times in 270 Posts

Thanks for the detailed response. I threw it a bit today and agree that Power Fairway is a perfect way to describe it.
Old 09-08-2017, 05:18 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 83
Niced 319 Times in 216 Posts

165g light blue sublime and 172g light blue eternal power fairways in the mail call today! Man, these things look FLAT and EPIC! Perfectly clean with no flashing and the plastic of both is simply beautiful. Can't wait to hit the field.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:48 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 83
Niced 319 Times in 216 Posts

I made a few throws. I'll hold back a bit on my initial thoughts until I get a chance to throw them more but I will say that I'm pleasantly surprised that these things are not nearly as OS as I thought they would be. I can immediately see the potential.

An Escape Pro comes to mind...
Old 09-11-2017, 10:03 AM
* Ace Member *

Don't usually post marketing stuff here...but for those wanting to try out an Alpha today is a good time to start. We put First Run Eternal plastic down to $12.99. Let me know how you like it

https://mintdiscs.com/collections/sh...nt=37288657603
Old 09-11-2017, 03:16 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 15
Niced 58 Times in 33 Posts
Talking

Picked up a Pearly Green Eternal and Purple Apex today to pair with my 1st run Orange Eternal. Looking forward to testing the trio out against my C-CD2/S-PD/C-PD set.

Oh and grabbed a dark blue Sublime as well, not sure where it fits but it was too pretty to pass up

Last edited by jonkimbertx; 09-11-2017 at 03:19 PM.

Old 09-11-2017, 03:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkimbertx View Post
Picked up a Pearly Green Eternal and Purple Apex today to pair with my 1st run Orange Eternal. Looking forward to testing the trio out against my C-CD2/S-PD/C-PD set.

Oh and grabbed a dark blue Sublime as well, not sure where it fits but it was too pretty to pass up
The dark blue is an awesome color and the stamp really pops on it. The colors you picked up should fit pretty good next to the first runs. They compliment it well. Never a bad Alpha