Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 08-27-2018, 10:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 630 Times in 496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
I'll never understand the Firebird. That mold would be useless for me.

What's so special about the P2?
I'm surprised at the Firebird too. I wonder why people buy so many of them. Is it a disc that is commonly lost? I personally have never bagged a Firebird. I could, but I do most of my really overstable work with a Flick and XCal.

I just can't see people needing to buy so many Firebirds that they even make that list.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2018, 10:35 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 182 Times in 59 Posts

The P2 is special because Pros started using it, the population started using it, and I think genuinely liked it. I loved my S-Blend for driving and approaching. The P2 is a disc that's much more accessible than a Destroyer. I would be lying if I said the pros didn't influence that. When Simon started using it and Eagle started to get big a couple years ago, P2 sales soared like never before.

I too joke that most people who buy destroyers can't throw them but.... let the buy them. I always said if Infinite came out with a copycat Destroyer mold, it would probably be a dud for being too stable for most people. When I was new I bought a Destroyer cause I thought that was the key to big distance, then I couldn't throw it and I got it stuck in a tree during a tournament... then somebody took it. So I decided that was for the best and never owned a Destroyer again.

I don't throw the Firebird myself, but that disc has always been an awesome seller. Nate and the Pros really helped hype it up though, I mean those SexyBirds sell like fire all year long. It's crazy but I'm okay with it. Sometimes tempted to stash a couple hundred in a vault to release a year or two later so people can get the old editions.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-27-2018, 10:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 32
Niced 431 Times in 262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Um... View Post
On the flip-side I'd love to see the metrics on how many new people buying Destroyers caused them to walk away from the game entirely.

Thank you. I think a lot of new players get a hold of a Destroyer type disc and get so frustrated they don't attempt a second round. If I owned a PIAS or an online store I'd mark that mold as 'not beginner friendly'.

That said, I completely understand the appeal of the Firebird. The slower speed makes it more functional IMO. I think the majority of players using it are getting the intended flight.

Last edited by Stable; 08-27-2018 at 10:39 PM.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:37 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 182 Times in 59 Posts

I'll also say that with Firebirds and Destroyers both, people who physically come into the store feel up every one, often examine the PLH, and comment which ones will throw the best, etc. We even get emails a lot about checking the dome and the PLH (or is it PHL, I always forget). I think Firebirds and Destroyers have been made so long that people always buy new ones to see how they fly even though they have plenty.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stable View Post
Are the majority of people buying Destroyers actually throwing that mold at it's potential. I mean, most of the players using them could easily replace it with a Wraith or probably a Thunderbird and get similar, if not better results. Really? All those buyers are getting McBeth distance with those Destroyers? GTFO'tah here.
This is a very real point. I'm no expert, but if I had to guess I'd say about 10% (or less) of all people toting Destroyers around are getting anything resembling full potential out of them. I mean, really, how many guys throw 400' or more consistently? It isn't all that many. Yet you see Destroyers all over the place. A Destroyer isn't a very easy disc to get full potential out of.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Default Groove

How do Grooves sell? Anyone still buy those hunks o' junk?

Talk about a disc that would make a newb want to quit the game...

Old 08-27-2018, 10:43 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 764 Times in 411 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
I'm surprised at the Firebird too. I wonder why people buy so many of them. Is it a disc that is commonly lost? I personally have never bagged a Firebird. I could, but I do most of my really overstable work with a Flick and XCal.

I just can't see people needing to buy so many Firebirds that they even make that list.
I throw at least 50% FH and there's lots of wind around here so a FB in an indispensable part of my bag. I don't throw it often but I'm glad I have it when I need it. 20 mph sustained winds yesterday and I threw mine 3 times in 18 holes, once off the tee.

Pretty sure I can't get an XCal or Flick up to speed.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:48 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 126 Times in 69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan037 View Post
He said that about the aviar.
Nah dude I swear he said it about the P2. I mean, the P2 is just another tweaked Aviar I guess.. I’d better put my money where my mouth is and find the video or article, huh? Haha
Old 08-27-2018, 10:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,376 Times in 1,522 Posts

Yeah I definitely understand why Destroyers sell a ton even though most people can't really use them right. When people bag them, they often bag multiples because they can fly like several different molds. P2's for the same reason in different plastics, as well as several for putting practice. But I too am surprised with the Firebird. I mean everyone who bags a full spectrum of discs should have that speed 9 OS slot filled and the Firebird is the traditional choice, but I don't often see multiples of those in someone's bag like the Destroyer. Most people are not like Sexton with 4+ of them, and I do get for the normal person having a FAF and a domey thrower paired, but for the most part one Firebird is enough stability for almost anyone and they don't need a second until it gets lost or worn in over a decade.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 32
Niced 431 Times in 262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
This is a very real point. I'm no expert, but if I had to guess I'd say about 10% (or less) of all people toting Destroyers around are getting anything resembling full potential out of them. I mean, really, how many guys throw 400' or more consistently? It isn't all that many. Yet you see Destroyers all over the place. A Destroyer isn't a very easy disc to get full potential out of.
I don't understand why speed 8-10 drivers aren't the top sellers. Right before checkout a pop-up should appear saying 'are you sure you wouldn't rather buy a Valkyrie'. I like that Infinite posts these statistics but I really question the long-term benefit of new players buying D's (& the like) & getting so frustrated that they walk away & don't buy more discs down the line.

Niced: (1)