Old 11-29-2018, 07:59 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.7
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 356 Times in 217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docxen View Post
i know this was two weeks ago but as a newbie having to throw lhbh can you tell me some about how you use the hatchett? i have terrible trouble on holes going left which seems to be almost all around here. Thank you
Throw the Hatchet flat LHBH and it should fly a long turnover without coming back much (if at all), similar to the line a RHBH throw would get on a hyzer line. The two main differences are that throwing a flippy disc on a turnover will suck in a headwind, and distance control is much harder.

Depending on just how new you are, a slower disc with similar characteristics might work better. Maul (speed 7) or Tursas (speed 5 midrange) are similar flights in slower speeds.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (3)
Old 11-29-2018, 09:50 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.1
Courses Played: 8
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 64 Times in 43 Posts

thanks
Old 11-29-2018, 11:47 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 9
Niced 23 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docxen View Post
i know this was two weeks ago but as a newbie having to throw lhbh can you tell me some about how you use the hatchett? i have terrible trouble on holes going left which seems to be almost all around here. Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
Throw the Hatchet flat LHBH and it should fly a long turnover without coming back much (if at all), similar to the line a RHBH throw would get on a hyzer line. The two main differences are that throwing a flippy disc on a turnover will suck in a headwind, and distance control is much harder.

Depending on just how new you are, a slower disc with similar characteristics might work better. Maul (speed 7) or Tursas (speed 5 midrange) are similar flights in slower speeds.
aphilso1 speaks the truth!

I have both the VIP and TP Hatchet in my bag. The VIP is nice for turnovers that pan back at the end while the TP is perfect for turnover lines that do not come back at all.

I also bag a VIP Tursas for slower midrange turnovers and a beat-up GL Maul for extreme turnovers, rollers and super-flippy duties...
Old 12-06-2018, 10:14 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 439 Times in 285 Posts

Picked up a Getaway yesterday as an OS bookend to my Escapes - guys... I think the Getaway is just an Escape with the leading bottom wing filed down, pushing the PLH slightly higher.

I mean, eyeballing these molds I see no discernable difference in lower or upper mold shape, rim width and depth are the same, even the PLH is the same as my moonshine escapes aside from the filed wing.

Thoughts?
Old 12-06-2018, 10:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 48
Niced 732 Times in 508 Posts

When I got mine, I was hoping for that, but ended up with something too OS for me to use often. I plan to force into the bag to get some throws in hoping it breaks in like most Trilogy FDs do.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:42 AM
Eagle Member

Getaways may look and feel like Escapes, but they fly significantly more OS than Escapes. That's why I bag a mid-160's bio Getaway...it acts like an Escape Pro, whereas my 170's Lucid first run Getaway is a glidey meathook. In my opinion the bio Getaways will be the ones most throwers eventually gravitate toward, similar to Enforcers.

That being said, lately I've found myself more confortable throwing my most stable Escape (Moonshine) with additional hyzer for Getaway-like lines. The Getaway goes back in the bag when there's snow on the ground (for visibility reasons) or when the winds pick up. In normal conditions I've been just bagging Felon/Escape/Escape/Hatchet.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-06-2018, 10:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 632 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
Picked up a Getaway yesterday as an OS bookend to my Escapes - guys... I think the Getaway is just an Escape with the leading bottom wing filed down, pushing the PLH slightly higher.

I mean, eyeballing these molds I see no discernable difference in lower or upper mold shape, rim width and depth are the same, even the PLH is the same as my moonshine escapes aside from the filed wing.

Thoughts?
Maybe I had a lousy Escape, but I thought the Getaway flew a LOT more overstable. My Escape was a flip machine. I got really mad at it and stopped throwing it. Every flat release was turning and burning. The Getaway I have is more like a Thunderbird. Long, straight flight with no high speed turn.

My Escape has legit -3 or -4 high speed turn. Getaway has 0. I adore the Getaway. It does everything its supposed to.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:31 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
Maybe I had a lousy Escape, but I thought the Getaway flew a LOT more overstable. My Escape was a flip machine. I got really mad at it and stopped throwing it. Every flat release was turning and burning. The Getaway I have is more like a Thunderbird. Long, straight flight with no high speed turn.

My Escape has legit -3 or -4 high speed turn. Getaway has 0. I adore the Getaway. It does everything its supposed to.
Escape is definitely more power sensitive. We've got a bunch of 300 ft flat shots, 280 ft uphill shots, and 330 ft downhill shots at my local courses. Thrown with a touch of hyzer on a nice easy pull, and the Escape is money on these types of holes. It's probably my most-parked mold overall. But I also max at 350 ft on an average day with distance drivers, so IIRC you've got a much bigger arm than me. Doesn't surprise me that a power thrower wouldn't like the Escape.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 632 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
Escape is definitely more power sensitive. We've got a bunch of 300 ft flat shots, 280 ft uphill shots, and 330 ft downhill shots at my local courses. Thrown with a touch of hyzer on a nice easy pull, and the Escape is money on these types of holes. It's probably my most-parked mold overall. But I also max at 350 ft on an average day with distance drivers, so IIRC you've got a much bigger arm than me. Doesn't surprise me that a power thrower wouldn't like the Escape.
I think what irked me most about the Escape was the fact that it flew NOTHING like the flight numbers on the disc. Same with the Renegade. I have no clue why Dynamic can't put more accurate flight numbers on their discs. To me the Escape was like a Sidewinder or Valk. Lots of high speed turn and completely wild.

Anything up to about 350' I'll use a mid on. I like fairway drivers for 350-400' shots. The Escape is too flippy for that range. The Getaway is perfect for 375' all day. It loves to be thrown hard.

Some of their more recent offerings (Getaway, Musket, Explorer) fly exactly like they numbers they're assigned.

Old 12-06-2018, 01:47 PM
Eagle Member

Escape does fly like the numbers for me. I've never measured, but I'd guess I probably max them around 320. I bag a year-old beat Lucid that's 9/5/-1.5/2, and a Moonshine that's been in the bag since late summer and flies 9/5/-0.5/2. Also have a backup fresh Lucid that is spot on the listed #'s of 9/5/-1/2. I do have an extremely beat biofuzion that flies kind of like a less glidey Hatchet or Sidewinder. But that thing was absolutely abused by trees...it was my main driver as I was just learning the game, so it saw more tree hits than fairways for a long time.

Regarding the Renegade though...totally agree. I have to give one midrange power to keep it from turning over uncontrollably. I bought one and thought that surely it was a fluke. So I bought a second, and it was the same thing. Sold them both. My noodle-armed buddy throws it pretty well though, but I don't think he gets much further than 275.