#21  
Old 12-06-2018, 01:57 PM
PMantle's Avatar
PMantle PMantle is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Alexandria, La.
Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,912
Niced 724 Times in 505 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
I think what irked me most about the Escape was the fact that it flew NOTHING like the flight numbers on the disc. Same with the Renegade. I have no clue why Dynamic can't put more accurate flight numbers on their discs. To me the Escape was like a Sidewinder or Valk. Lots of high speed turn and completely wild.
.
Escape numbers are accurate.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-06-2018, 09:04 PM
SD86's Avatar
SD86 SD86 is offline
Snowflake
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Atlanta, GA
Courses Played: 8
Posts: 8,414
Niced 1,817 Times in 1,367 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
I think what irked me most about the Escape was the fact that it flew NOTHING like the flight numbers on the disc. Same with the Renegade. I have no clue why Dynamic can't put more accurate flight numbers on their discs. To me the Escape was like a Sidewinder or Valk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
Escape does fly like the numbers for me. I've never measured, but I'd guess I probably max them around 320. I bag a year-old beat Lucid that's 9/5/-1.5/2, and a Moonshine that's been in the bag since late summer and flies 9/5/-0.5/2. Also have a backup fresh Lucid that is spot on the listed #'s of 9/5/-1/2. I do have an extremely beat biofuzion that flies kind of like a less glidey Hatchet or Sidewinder. But that thing was absolutely abused by trees...it was my main driver as I was just learning the game, so it saw more tree hits than fairways for a long time.

Regarding the Renegade though...totally agree. I have to give one midrange power to keep it from turning over uncontrollably. I bought one and thought that surely it was a fluke. So I bought a second, and it was the same thing. Sold them both. My noodle-armed buddy throws it pretty well though, but I don't think he gets much further than 275.
I wish I could find one of those super-flippy Renegades like y'all apparently have. My three Renegades were decent discs. Yes, I'm a noodle arm.

I have not tried an Escape, but it has a reputation for not being as stable as its numbers suggest. But it's a popular disc...
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-06-2018, 09:37 PM
bcr32 bcr32 is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Courses Played: 3
Posts: 163
Niced 40 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
Escape numbers are accurate.
If it were thrown around 280-300, they might be. Past that, I would have to agree with Twmccoy that it is a turnover disc. So no, the numbers are not objectively accurate. Especially after some wear.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-06-2018, 10:05 PM
Twmccoy Twmccoy is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 2,007
Niced 628 Times in 494 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
I wish I could find one of those super-flippy Renegades like y'all apparently have. My three Renegades were decent discs. Yes, I'm a noodle arm.

I have not tried an Escape, but it has a reputation for not being as stable as its numbers suggest. But it's a popular disc...
I've tried a couple Escapes. Not impressed. At all. Its kinda this weirdo stability for me. Flippy as a Valk and uncontrollable. Its too bad. The Escape looks good and feels good in the hand. It seems like a disc that ought to be thrown hard and flat for easy, accurate yards. Not the case. I don't like to finesse speed 9 discs. I'd rather just throw a mid hard.

Renegade. Yeesh. What a stinker. If you want a disc like a Renegade (flippy) but better, use a Mamba. I was crushing Mambas way further than Renegades.

I almost think DD introduced the Getaway because they knew the Escape was a weak performer for what it was SUPPOSED to do. They even named the Getaway something similar because it was supposed to be built as a more overstable Escape.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-06-2018, 10:43 PM
BrotherDave's Avatar
BrotherDave BrotherDave is offline
Verified Jurkface
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Macedonian Troll Farm
Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 163
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 14,992
Niced 2,123 Times in 1,002 Posts
Default

The one Lucid Renegade I threw was a flippy turd. Never thrown an Escape though. I got a Fuzion Getaway in a player's pack recently and bought a Big Z Vulture at the same tourney. Weather permitting, I plan to test those out against each other since they sounded similar.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 12-06-2018, 11:20 PM
Twmccoy Twmccoy is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 2,007
Niced 628 Times in 494 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
The one Lucid Renegade I threw was a flippy turd. Never thrown an Escape though. I got a Fuzion Getaway in a player's pack recently and bought a Big Z Vulture at the same tourney. Weather permitting, I plan to test those out against each other since they sounded similar.
If you like Thunderbirds you'll love the Getaway. Very similar disc in speed, glide, stability, and overall distance. It'll handle 400'+ power without any high speed turn.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-07-2018, 01:20 AM
ILUVSMGS18 ILUVSMGS18 is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Keeseville, NY
Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 2
Posts: 1,501
Niced 337 Times in 251 Posts
Default

I had an Escape that was numbers flying even at 350'+ power. I stupidly traded it in to PIAS and I think it is still there. Since I've seen the Getaway compared to a ThB are Getaways comparable to the penned Star? Also does my ex-Escape seem like it would fit between a Champ ThB and a SW well?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-07-2018, 09:48 AM
aphilso1's Avatar
aphilso1 aphilso1 is online now
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Nebraska
Years Playing: 1.7
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 583
Niced 348 Times in 211 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSMGS18 View Post
I had an Escape that was numbers flying even at 350'+ power. I stupidly traded it in to PIAS and I think it is still there. Since I've seen the Getaway compared to a ThB are Getaways comparable to the penned Star? Also does my ex-Escape seem like it would fit between a Champ ThB and a SW well?
Not sure how the penned Star ThB flies relative to other ThB's. I've got pretty limited experience with Thundy's, so I can't distinguish between how different plastics/runs of Thundys fly. The Getaway is a much different beast depending on plastic type and weight, so you've got the ability to pick whether you want one that absolutely will have zero turn no matter what (Lucid in the 170's) or one that will have some turn to it before finishing with a consistent fade (low to mid 160's Biofuzion). Check out The Disc Store's youtube channel episode of "This Disc is Great With Steve and Nate" where they review the Getaway. They did a great review of it in a couple different plastic types. It's well worth your time to watch if you're on the fence about trying the mold.

Regarding your second question, it's a little tough to answer without knowing how beat your Escape was. But likely the answer is that yes, the Escape would sit well between your ThB and Sidewinder. I recommend going with Moonshine plastic if you want to be a touch on the more stable end compared to the Lucid you previously experienced.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-08-2018, 12:57 PM
Wyldcard Wyldcard is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 5
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I won a Getaway, and was pumped to try it after hearing a couple people rave about them locally.

Colour me disappointed. It flies the exact same as my Culverin when it was new, except it's domier and less comfortable in the hand. It's a perfectly fine disc, but I should have known that it wouldn't make my bag. It has the same flight numbers as the Culverin, according to Infinite. It'll either sit in my basement until I lose my Culverin or it gets too beat in, or maybe put it up for auction or something.

At least it has this cool ghost skull stamp thing on it, so that's nice I guess.
Reply With Quote
 

  #30  
Old 12-08-2018, 01:44 PM
Twmccoy Twmccoy is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 2,007
Niced 628 Times in 494 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyldcard View Post
I won a Getaway, and was pumped to try it after hearing a couple people rave about them locally.

Colour me disappointed. It flies the exact same as my Culverin when it was new, except it's domier and less comfortable in the hand. It's a perfectly fine disc, but I should have known that it wouldn't make my bag. It has the same flight numbers as the Culverin, according to Infinite. It'll either sit in my basement until I lose my Culverin or it gets too beat in, or maybe put it up for auction or something.

At least it has this cool ghost skull stamp thing on it, so that's nice I guess.
Well, I'm not sure what you were expecting out of the Getaway. It and the Culverin have practically the same flight numbers. Basically a speed 9 driver with no high speed turn and a predictable late fade.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dynamic disc Captain/Getaway/Trespass and a few Discraft Emoney The Marketplace 4 08-29-2018 10:53 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.