Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer, the Beast or the Valkyrie?
Beast is better! 24 34.29%
Valkyrie is the one! 46 65.71%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-27-2019, 01:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 627 Times in 493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discgolfer48 View Post
Did you see this thread? Seems like the Orc is pretty close to Beast-x. There's some nice pictures in there.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...=131681&page=4
I agree they're fairly close. For whatever reason I found the Beast X to be a little longer and have better glide than an Orc. The Beast X has some high speed turn without being flippy.

I would still take an Orc over a Beast L any day.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2019, 01:23 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 9
Niced 87 Times in 70 Posts

From Marshall Street:

"Bringing back the original, more stable mold! Originally Posted by Innova Customer Service Thank you for throwing INNOVA. It appears the main question here is: Will Beasts only be produced with the new “old mold”? The answer is yes.Here is the whole story which should answer all of your other concerns.The Beast was created in late 2002. After Barry Schultz won his second world championship in 2004, Dave Dunipace made a slight change to the Beast mold to make it a little less high speed stable than the original. He felt the original Beast was too similar to the Orc. Since the original mold was retooled, we have only able to produce the new retooled Beast.In 2014, problems arose with the Beast. Malfunctioning mold parts could no longer be used and were retired. We ordered new Beast parts from our mold making company. They mistakenly produced the Beast from the original disc specifications and not from the updated 2004 specifications. So now we have a new “old mold” Beast. Barry Schultz was very happy about it as he got his beloved original Beast back. Since we can no longer make the Beast with the faulty retooled parts, every Beast going forward will be made with the new “old mold”. It is possible some retailers will continue to have older Beasts in stock until they sell out.The flight numbers on the Beast will remain unchanged as they accurately reflect the flight of the current version of the Beast. Collectors will be able tell an original old mold from the new old mold as the new mold does not have patent numbers. The only way to tell the difference between the retooled mold and the new “old mold” Beasts is by the shape of the rim. Most Beast throwers and savvy collectors are already aware of these facts. Again, all Beasts going forward will be made in the new “old mold”."

Though, I've personally never seen any Pro or Star Beasts in the X-mold. In one of the other Beast threads a guy mentions they have't made any Beasts in the X-mold using Star or Pro plastic.

I will say I love L-mold Beasts for rollers.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-27-2019, 02:16 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 19
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 172 Times in 100 Posts

Thanks for the info. I may stop somewhere this weekend and see if I can find one.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:30 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydex View Post
I will say I love L-mold Beasts for rollers.
I can definitely see that. But my arm speed needs more distance driver options in this speed range. I love my Champion Orc, but would like a few more choices to complement it.

I think with a bit more turn, and a tick less fade, the Beast-X could be it...I just need to find one that works for me

Thanks again for all the help everyone...I don't have anybody to talk to about this stuff, so I really appreciate your time.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 627 Times in 493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanA View Post
I can definitely see that. But my arm speed needs more distance driver options in this speed range. I love my Champion Orc, but would like a few more choices to complement it.

I think with a bit more turn, and a tick less fade, the Beast-X could be it...I just need to find one that works for me

Thanks again for all the help everyone...I don't have anybody to talk to about this stuff, so I really appreciate your time.
If you really want a great Beast, look on here or Ebay for an old, pearly champion Beast from about 2005. They're not ridiculously rare. You will be in love instantly.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:28 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,815 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanA View Post

While you're looking, check out the Infinite Discs Sphinx. Allegedly a Valkyrie top and Roadrunner bottom, it's a really great disc for distance, glide, as well as fairway accuracy when thrown for that.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:24 PM

Years Playing: 1.5
Niced 9 Times in 5 Posts

I was out throwing my dx Beast today on a 350 ft hole. My best rip got knocked down by a tree limb. I usually practice out in a baseball field away from trees. Also, I don't have a Valkyrie but I do have a Viking which only goes around 280 feet for me.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:10 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 41
Niced 604 Times in 343 Posts

^Viking will be more overstable than a Valk generally speaking.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:25 PM

Years Playing: 1.5
Niced 9 Times in 5 Posts

Right, then I got the FD thinking it would be better for my arm speed but it doesn't have any turn. Sometimes you can't win.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:23 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
While you're looking, check out the Infinite Discs Sphinx. Allegedly a Valkyrie top and Roadrunner bottom, it's a really great disc for distance, glide, as well as fairway accuracy when thrown for that.
I have the Exodus on my list already, so I'll add the Sphinx as well. Thanks for the suggestion.