Old 02-14-2019, 10:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,954 Times in 1,282 Posts

Profile wise, what's this thing similar to?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2019, 11:05 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 19
Niced 860 Times in 487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhatton1 View Post

As for naming, whilst King and Queen have already gone the idea is to have an easy to follow line up that you intuitively know how they will fly compared to one another:

Eg.

Mids - Duke, Duchess, Archduke,

Putters - Baron, Baroness, Baronet,

Fairways- Count, Countess, Viscount

Distance - Earl, etc.
The naming schema won't translate to Americans. I am somewhat of a history nerd, and even I can't remember if a Duke or a Barron is higher on the hiarchy.

Perhaps have dual name(as RPM does), one for the commonwealth and one for American/Asian markets.

Highlander, Beefeater, Longbow, The Tower, Big Ben, Avon, Globe, RobRoy... are all very historical British names and would translate better to American pop culture.

Quote:

As a personal belief I'm very much anti monarchy and anti honorific titles bestowed by birth, but The Duke is a cool name, sooo....
I agree, but it could be worse. It could be..... oh wait, I fuss at others for bringing politics into play.

Best of luck on your project.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 44
Niced 661 Times in 387 Posts

The naming scheme won't make sense to Americans in terms of us understanding from the name which disc is faster just from the name. Still, I don't think that necessarily makes it bad; it will just seem more arbitrary to us (which is how most naming systems are anyway). It's certainly no worse than the law and order themed naming system that Dynamic uses. And I'm sure it will get less complaints than the letter/number system Prodigy uses. HOWEVER, all that being said, Big Ben, The Tower, and Beefeater would all make great names for discs so...

Niced: (1)
Old 02-14-2019, 11:38 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 19
Niced 860 Times in 487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugheshilton View Post
The naming scheme won't make sense to Americans in terms of us understanding from the name which disc is faster just from the name. Still, I don't think that necessarily makes it bad; it will just seem more arbitrary to us (which is how most naming systems are anyway). It's certainly no worse than the law and order themed naming system that Dynamic uses. And I'm sure it will get less complaints than the letter/number system Prodigy uses. HOWEVER, all that being said, Big Ben, The Tower, and Beefeater would all make great names for discs so...
It will get no complaints from me at all. I was just giving a bit of cultural feedback.

I actually am thinking that I want a Count, just so I can do a custom dye on it. I have seen Oscar the Grouch dyes, why not a Count dye on a Count.

Old 02-14-2019, 08:42 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 163
Niced 2,123 Times in 1,002 Posts

Should've named the baseline plastic Serf plastic.

I like the naming scheme for the discs though. The molds being related (Baron, Baroness, etc) makes as much sense as River/River Pro and Eagle X/L and H1 and H1v2 etc.

Niced: (2)
Old 02-15-2019, 10:16 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 30
Niced 647 Times in 320 Posts

I'm just waiting for somebody to buy a Duke and Americanize it with a custom John Wayne dye.

Quote:
The Noble is closest in feel to Retro from latitude I would say.

The Regal I'm struggling to think of a similar plastic feel.

As for naming, whilst King and Queen have already gone the idea is to have an easy to follow line up that you intuitively know how they will fly compared to one another:

Eg.

Mids - Duke, Duchess, Archduke,

Putters - Baron, Baroness, Baronet,

Fairways- Count, Countess, Viscount

Distance - Earl, etc.

the idea was also to tie in to something intrinsically British as well.

I'm also a history major and my favourite period was always the Dark Ages to medieval.

As a personal belief I'm very much anti monarchy and anti honorific titles bestowed by birth, but The Duke is a cool name, sooo....
Old 02-15-2019, 10:40 AM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 71
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 869 Times in 596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoobyPls View Post
I'm just waiting for somebody to buy a Duke and Americanize it with a custom John Wayne dye.
Honestly, that’s where my head went first. I can see a cold eyepatch True Grit dye eventually.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:59 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 26.1
Courses Played: 90
Niced 116 Times in 44 Posts

Might want to rethink that URL while you’re at it. Phonetically discgolfuk is, uh, interesting. You don’t want to go down the path of therapistfinder.com (for finding therapists, right? Right?). At least go with DiscGolfUK.com.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:16 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 46
Niced 2,954 Times in 1,282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
Should've named the baseline plastic Serf plastic.
"Bloody peasant!"

Old 02-16-2019, 04:32 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 25
Niced 606 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lines View Post
A. This disc would look great in blue (Go Duke)
B. This disc is great for comebacks (Go Duke)
C. In reality, the naming system is cliche, and discs like the Queen, King, Monarch already exist. I wonder why they chose that route. (Go Duke)
Well they might go the other route like Duke, Duchess, Monarchy not Monarch, Prince, Princess and others like that that are not taken from royalty stuff or they are going with random names in UK and could end up with a Kilt, a Big Ben, a Ale lots of British beer is a type of Ale, Highland or Fell, flat (apartment), Moor, Wimbledon, Rugby, Football (soccer), Cricket, Eye (London Eye), Stonehenge, ect. Odd names that do not fit other then they were British things, places, or sports.