Old 03-06-2019, 09:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 868 Times in 493 Posts

Best names: Envy, Wraith, Wizard, Destroyer , Crave, Comet

Worst names: anything with both a letter and a number or law enforcement names.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2019, 09:58 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.7
Courses Played: 23
Niced 356 Times in 217 Posts

Man, lots of hate for Dynamic Discs names. They've got some decent ones IMO. Felon is a great name. And Escape is solid too, although it would have made more sense as a massively flippy utility "get out of jail" disc. Unfortunately they wasted perhaps their best name on what is easily their worst disc (Renegade).

Niced: (1)
Old 03-06-2019, 10:18 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 163
Niced 2,135 Times in 1,006 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
Man, lots of hate for Dynamic Discs names. They've got some decent ones IMO. Felon is a great name. And Escape is solid too, although it would have made more sense as a massively flippy utility "get out of jail" disc. Unfortunately they wasted perhaps their best name on what is easily their worst disc (Renegade).
Yeah, it's a renegade...of fail.

Worst: Daedalus

Best: Devil Hawk.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 52
Niced 3,704 Times in 1,964 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
Never liked Roach.
Thought the Westside Pine was dumb... I don't want a disc named for a tree.

Quest AT had some of the worst names out there:
T-bone, Backbone, Double D...

But they also the 100m Lazer and 10m Brick.
Never thrown either of 'em, but loved the names.
10m Brick is probably the most properly named disc in history. it doesn't matter how you throw that thing, it will go about 30ft and drop like a brick. 100m Lazer was a weird looking disc. Like if you cut the top off a flying saucer or cut Saturn in half, then added golf ball type dimples to top side of the wing, that's what it looked like.

You can barely make out the "mound" in the middle of the disc.
Quote:
Man, lots of hate for Dynamic Discs in general
ftfy

Last edited by brutalbrutus; 03-06-2019 at 10:28 PM.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 632 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:

LOL. True story. That is BY FAR their worst disc. Decent name, horrible disc.

IMO a Renegade ought to be what the Defender is. A beefy, super long driver thrown by big armed pros.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:56 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Niced 166 Times in 116 Posts

I like ``Wedge'' a lot. Not only does it match the ball golf vocabulary but its rim is just that.

``Thor'' is a nice name, but it should have been used for a disc like a Nuke OS.

``Sail'' I think is a name on the right disc. ``Stiletto'' also does match well.

I never understood why the ``Zone'' has this name. Would have been a better name for a putting putter.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:00 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
10m Brick is probably the most properly named disc in history. it doesn't matter how you throw that thing, it will go about 30ft and drop like a brick. 100m Lazer was a weird looking disc.
Seems, unlike the 10m Brick, the 100m Lazer did not fulfill what its name suggested. Sadly ... It would be one of the best selling discs then.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:11 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 823 Times in 474 Posts

The names most companies give there discs do not really say anything about what kind disc it is and how it flies. . . but Discmania and Prodigy names does, and i kind of like that

But other than that. . .The "Proton Photon" is by far the best name

Niced: (3)
Old 03-07-2019, 02:27 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 25
Niced 618 Times in 531 Posts

Quote:
Wizard is hands down the best name. I really really wanted to love Wizards just for the name and awesome stamp options alone. Unfortunately, me and deep dish putters don't get along.

I do also really like most names in the Daredevil Discs line. Yeti, Sasquatch, and Big Foot are awesome distance driver names. Also really like some of their midrange names like Caribou, Moose, an Grizzly.

As for worst, Lightning Discs' are all pretty stupid. #1 Hyzer, #1 Flyer, etc. Never trust someone who names their products "#1 ___."
Lighting has a good system for naming of discs taken from traditional golf so it is easy to find what you are looking for, plus on the Disc it has a stamp with picture of what the disc does sort of in power flight. Just remember that at one point # = number. It was not Hashtag on the Lighting discs. Yes a teen under 16 a few years ago who was playing that same weekend as me said: Why does your putter say hashtag 2 Upshot? when he looked at the disc and had picked it up from where it came to rest. I said that disc says number 2 Upshot.

The Lighting company has problems like the speed of the #1 driver is slow like a 8 maybe 9 speed and that is not helpful as modern discs one would think a #1 driver would be a 12 speed and anything over that would be called something else like a #1 power driver or a #1 max speed ____driver, the blank indicating the stability of disc. It was too late when a full premium plastic came out in 2009, not just the Prostyle but a premium Star/ESP/Gold Line that was only used on the one odd named High speed driver the MDX1 that was like a slightly worn in Destroyer. Lighting had not released a new disc since 1999. The baseline is one of the more durable if you get the newer DuPont version, old stuff broke in really quick.

Basically Lighting's flaw did not keep up with disc technology. The company owner just rested on his Laurels in 1999 and did not change when 95% of companies came out with premium plastic discs and higher speed discs in the 11-12 speed range. But prior to the faster discs in the 11 and 12 speed range and prior to the premium plastics the Lighting company made discs that were liked by a number of players and was considered the number 3 company after Discraft/DGA and Innova/Millennium. My dad Had Lighting discs for more then just the putters he uses the Rubber Putter as an approach disc, he had a #3 Hookshot a midrange that was a more os feeling Wasp but he lost them as he bought a older plastic black disc that he lost on course then asked for a light color online and got a light gray with black flecks, ones with the DuPont in disc. I had a #2 driver for water shots but the disc was not that great for the job, the disc only floats for 15-20 minutes then sinks to the bottom. I still have from 2005 a Prostyle #2 Upshot in my bag.

Old 03-07-2019, 02:56 AM
Birdie Member

... ``Hookshot'' is a great name! :-)

Niced: (1)