Old 04-17-2019, 10:23 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 31 Times in 25 Posts
Default Chingteresting...

https://www.discgolfdisc.info/blogs/...-CE-and-Ching/

The Ching stamp story. (1997-2003) Ching is a company started in Charlotte in 1997. The founder, Mike Holgate, had discovered a new way to stamp discs using a computer generated design and a new application process. An end result of the process was a flattening of the top flight plate during the application and a certain feel to the top flight plate which was the result of a protectant added afterwards to help preserve the stamp. The 1st Ching stamped discs released were in the summer of 1997 as fundrasiers for the 97 Worlds in Charlotte. The process along with the Ching Skillshot design were eventually sold to Innova in early 2003. After the sale the process was renamed the Innova Full Color stamp.

Anybody know who owns the USA rights to "Ching"? It is still the best 1 word descriptor

of the sound of a disc hitting chains. One of the coolest named disc golf companies that

existed once upon a time. I still love to putt with a Y2K Tank. Be neat if someone could

bring the brand back.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 04-17-2019, 10:38 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 606 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by InDaWoodsDiscN419 View Post
https://www.discgolfdisc.info/blogs/...-CE-and-Ching/

The Ching stamp story. (1997-2003) Ching is a company started in Charlotte in 1997. The founder, Mike Holgate, had discovered a new way to stamp discs using a computer generated design and a new application process. An end result of the process was a flattening of the top flight plate during the application and a certain feel to the top flight plate which was the result of a protectant added afterwards to help preserve the stamp. The 1st Ching stamped discs released were in the summer of 1997 as fundrasiers for the 97 Worlds in Charlotte. The process along with the Ching Skillshot design were eventually sold to Innova in early 2003. After the sale the process was renamed the Innova Full Color stamp.

Anybody know who owns the USA rights to "Ching"? It is still the best 1 word descriptor

of the sound of a disc hitting chains. One of the coolest named disc golf companies that

existed once upon a time. I still love to putt with a Y2K Tank. Be neat if someone could

bring the brand back.
Tank is now made by Millennium brand Hyzerbomb. My dad uses a Ching Juju putter. He got it in 2005 as the brand was dying off and payed $30 for the disc only tested a few times. I think Innova owns the molds and is not doing anything with them or allowing anything to happen with the molds.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:43 AM
Par Member

Default Not much love for CHING...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
Tank is now made by Millennium brand Hyzerbomb. My dad uses a Ching Juju putter. He got it in 2005 as the brand was dying off and payed $30 for the disc only tested a few times. I think Innova owns the molds and is not doing anything with them or allowing anything to happen with the molds.
Almost zero interest from folks here, strange.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:50 AM
Par Member

Default Hyzerbomb Tank...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
Yup, I have a couple Hyz'bomb Tanks, very similiar to Ching tank. Ching's were soft, Hyz'

offers Soft and Hard versions. I also have Ching juju and mojo putters.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.2
Courses Played: 95
Niced 597 Times in 239 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

I use old Ching discs. Aviars & Stingray are in my bag now, sometimes a Ching Roc goes in also.
I'd love to have more but they'd have to be just like they were in the late 90s to keep my interest.

Old 05-22-2019, 11:33 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 130
Niced 1,685 Times in 672 Posts

Ching! was around for several years after they sold the Skillshot and the full-color stamp machine to Innova. They sold discs with weird grip indentations on the flight plate they called "Excelerators." These were for sale under the Ching! brand name long after the Innova deal, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say Mike Holgate still has the rights to that brand name.

The original Ching! discs were Innova mix-'N-match molds like Millenium. The Tank was a small bead Rhyno. The Sniper and Stinger were also Thumtrac discs, similar to the Puma. The Bomb was I think the same as an EXP1; it was just sold in DX plastic that Millennium didn't use. Ching! could probably reuse the names, but the molds were Innova's. They couldn't re-introduce those without a deal with Innova.

The Hyzerbomb Tank makes me think they cut a deal with Ching! to use the name.

Ching! still has a website up. http://www.chingsports.com/go/

Old 05-23-2019, 12:21 AM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 41
Niced 604 Times in 343 Posts

The Oracle was awesome for a while, shame it came in such ****ty baseline plastic.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:38 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 46
Niced 2,953 Times in 1,281 Posts

The Genesis driver was pretty solid.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:55 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 25
Niced 606 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripEnemy View Post
The Oracle was awesome for a while, shame it came in such ****ty baseline plastic.
Yeah I remember a few Innova brand's only throwers in the 2000's from tournaments used a Oracle for a bit as a Secondary disc to the ROC as the Oracle was a ROC with the odd top plate. The plastic for the Oracle was not that great was what a lousy run is in the modern DX plastic from late 2000's on up and why those players moved to the ROC entirely when the stiff KC Pro plastic came out in the 12x and up runs, well most runs now are not as stiff as they once were.

Old 05-24-2019, 11:50 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.1
Courses Played: 148
Niced 534 Times in 232 Posts

Shortly after I started playing I bought a Ching! Bomb, but somewhere along the way I traded it to someone. I wish I still had it, I didn't know it would eventually be cool to have years later. I do remember it had a nice rainbow stamp on it.