Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 03-15-2009, 02:16 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 18.1
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

ive seen that epic do some nasty tombstones(a discs stuck 1/2 way in the ground)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2009, 08:39 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.8
Courses Played: 548
Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

I've heard rumors of a guy who can throw thumbers with an EPIC that fly over 400'. Accordingly after the disc goes through all of its flipping motions, it flips up and then glide like a regular disc for another 200'. I can't throw a thumber as a drive because they hurt my elbow, but if someone else can throw that thing that far... more power to 'em.
DSCJNKY
Old 03-27-2009, 09:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.5
Courses Played: 79
Niced 8 Times in 7 Posts
Send a message via AIM to _.-Dut-._

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSCJNKY View Post
I've heard rumors of a guy who can throw thumbers with an EPIC that fly over 400'. Accordingly after the disc goes through all of its flipping motions, it flips up and then glide like a regular disc for another 200'. I can't throw a thumber as a drive because they hurt my elbow, but if someone else can throw that thing that far... more power to 'em.
DSCJNKY
Vile (sp?) has a 450+' thumber and this is the disc he uses.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:43 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 164
Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

I have one and it is fun to take out and throw a thumber with every once in a while for kicks. It WILL go 400 feet plus pretty easily. Thrown high and right it will barrell roll into a flat position and then soar from there right to left. There is no other disc that I know of that behaves this way. I don't use it, sadly to say, because I feel wierd throwing it. It is so unusual that I don't like the funny looks I get after throwing it. Most people think it is some kind of fluke. Also, it has to be "tuned" which I'm not really into. I got mine from a friend who already tuned it so I'm not even sure how to replicate the state that is in.
Mainly I don't want to waste my time learning to throw a disc that is so unlike anything else out there. I'd rather work on my backhand, forehand, thumbers, etc with standard discs. I'm really suprised that the Epic is even PDGA approved.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:46 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 164
Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDisc View Post
i dont like the sound of changing my thumber style
You don't have to change your style, just the trajectory you throw it on.
Old 09-29-2018, 01:48 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 44 Times in 24 Posts

Throwing an epic is no different than any other disc. For example if you can't throw a forehand it doesn't matter what disc you pick up you will note be able to magically throw a forehand. All discs take a certain amount of skill level and practice to master. Epics are a very valuable tool to have in the bag but you have to know what they are good for and what they aren't good for. I've thrown them for a long time and find it to be a very reliable disc aslong as you don't try to start using them for every shot. The epic is only good for shats that it gives you a high probability advantage. For me that limits to 2 different types of throws that it is worth it to take my epic out of my bag. #1 straight up wide open distance where distance is more important than placement and #2 when i have to go up and over something instead of thru it and a lot of wide open area on the otherside to glide for distance. Tomohawks go farther than thumbers with any disk when thrown properly and the Epic is no different. A thumber finishes with the same fade as your backhand and should give you about the same distance with less control so thumbers usual dont give you any type of advantage unless you have to go up and over. The tomohawks however come in very handy for some one like me that gets no distance from a forehand. it allows you to rip it for distance and get that hard left to right finish. It's not for everybody but no disc is or else there wouldn't be 1,000+ discs on the market

Old 09-29-2018, 02:33 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 165
Niced 64 Times in 21 Posts
Send a message via AIM to ElementZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RShope33073 View Post
Throwing an epic is no different than any other disc. For example if you can't throw a forehand it doesn't matter what disc you pick up you will note be able to magically throw a forehand. All discs take a certain amount of skill level and practice to master. Epics are a very valuable tool to have in the bag but you have to know what they are good for and what they aren't good for. I've thrown them for a long time and find it to be a very reliable disc aslong as you don't try to start using them for every shot. The epic is only good for shats that it gives you a high probability advantage. For me that limits to 2 different types of throws that it is worth it to take my epic out of my bag. #1 straight up wide open distance where distance is more important than placement and #2 when i have to go up and over something instead of thru it and a lot of wide open area on the otherside to glide for distance. Tomohawks go farther than thumbers with any disk when thrown properly and the Epic is no different. A thumber finishes with the same fade as your backhand and should give you about the same distance with less control so thumbers usual dont give you any type of advantage unless you have to go up and over. The tomohawks however come in very handy for some one like me that gets no distance from a forehand. it allows you to rip it for distance and get that hard left to right finish. It's not for everybody but no disc is or else there wouldn't be 1,000+ discs on the market
I respect that your first post on this board is on a thread that's been dormant since 2009.

Old 09-29-2018, 02:40 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 44 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementZ View Post
I respect that your first post on this board is on a thread that's been dormant since 2009.
I try to give advice when I can. I don't really care what anyone thinks. If I cared what other people thought I probably wouldn't throw and epic at all and lose a stroke or 2 per round but all I care about is having the best disc golf game I can.
Old 09-29-2018, 03:04 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 23.5
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 210 Times in 111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RShope33073 View Post
The epic is only good for shats that it gives you a high probability advantage.
Unlike the groove? Which ain't good for shat?

Niced: (1)

Old 09-29-2018, 03:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.9
Courses Played: 84
Niced 1,301 Times in 569 Posts

Wow. We haven't had a necrobump this good in a while. This one is 9.5 years. Has to be some kinda record.

Niced: (2)