Old 09-03-2013, 03:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 36
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

XCals are not very o/s. I agree with everything that horsmanm has said. C or S line PD2's are a great substitute.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2013, 09:01 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 61
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 31 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsmanm View Post
Do not buy an ape, at high speeds it is not OS.

Now back to the topic at hand here. The old Aj destroyers were not OS at all but there is a new run of them with the new stamp that have the top of the DD2 (and all other early Discmania Drivers) that are incredibly overstable. Just pick up a PD and look at the top profile of the wing, and then try to find a new run of AJ's that have that same top and it will be OS as all heck

A Stiletto is also a good choice
I just got my hands on one of those AJ's with the top like a PD and some good dome... sooo overstable! I sold it already lol. Tooo much for my liking. I prefer my xcals or D1 over those crazy OS destroyers.

The OP seems to want something similar to the destroyer, but with more stability. Id say an Xcal fits the bill just fine. I really like my star xcals, but I have been starting to like my D1 quite a bit.. The D1 wants to go a bit further than the Xcal, but still has some good beef to it.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:17 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

It shouldn't be difficult to find beefy Destroyers. Like someone said earlier, look for one that has the top of the wing similar to a PD, and has a pop-top. Super beef. Gateway Spirits are great OS drivers too.

edit: I don't have any experience with Xcals, but would like to try one. Sorry for talking about Destroyers..
Old 09-04-2013, 05:15 AM
Big Country

Years Playing: 28.1
Courses Played: 52
Niced 184 Times in 104 Posts

X Cal is nasty OS for me...but not as OS as a Stiletto. If you want to venture out of the Innova realm, thats my suggestion. Stiletto is just dag nasty.

Discs from Innova that Ive thrown and found to be either as beefy or beefier than the XCal: Teerex-X, Ape and Max. All have big finishes like you are looking for.
Old 05-09-2017, 02:25 PM
Par Member

Niced 46 Times in 23 Posts

171-172 Star Xcals are my go to forehand distance drivers. I can throw my Q-Quasars and S-Scorps a little further but they need more room and touch when ripping. Mild dome to flat-ish Xcals feel the best in my hand with my "P" grip compared to the other main overstable distance Innova/DM/Millennium discs. Theres something about the rim and the flight plate that feels right and is consistent in most Xcals. I preffer the older firm star plastic that can still be found over the newer softer star plastic. Also the mild/flatter dome is more consistent with the older runs, the newer soft stuff is domey. Haven't got into PFN or echo stars so I don't know how they fly. Most or all echo stars I have felt have been domey and softer so I've passed at trying them out. Xcals definitely start out beefy overstable for me but they beat into lazer beams when I throw them hard and flat wristed after a while. I haven't experienced that with any other disc. If I need to send a disc really high over a tree or something I'll throw something with more dome though. I get the best lines at lower heights with my Xcals.

I wanted to post, not just out of my love for the magical Xcaliber, but to send vibes out to the world that Nate Sexton should get a signature Xcal someday.. How awesome would the SeXcal be?

Niced: (2)
Old 05-09-2017, 02:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 627 Times in 493 Posts

I've bagged a Champ XCal for a while now. Outstanding overstable driver. Its not so stable that you can't get distance out of it, and it actually has glide. Good to about 350' and very consistent flight. For me it flies like a faster Starfire. Overstable, but not to the point of ridiculousness.

Obviously its a great disc for windy days or shortish hyzer drives that need to be accurate.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:36 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 71
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 868 Times in 595 Posts

I used to bag an XCal at the suggestion of a friend who still uses some PFN Star XCals as his main drivers.

It used to be a good bridge between my Firebirds and Apes, but now that I can throw both farther and more consistently it just doesn't have a place.

Good feeling disc though, and though it is firmly in the OS category it's not a crazy hook.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 140
Niced 1,108 Times in 552 Posts

I like the protoStar Xcals very much. But there are plenty of Destroyers athat are just as OS. So I flip flop between beefy destroy or old xcal.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:51 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 11
Courses Played: 31
Niced 11 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_G View Post
171-172 Star Xcals are my go to forehand distance drivers. I can throw my Q-Quasars and S-Scorps a little further but they need more room and touch when ripping. Mild dome to flat-ish Xcals feel the best in my hand with my "P" grip compared to the other main overstable distance Innova/DM/Millennium discs. Theres something about the rim and the flight plate that feels right and is consistent in most Xcals. I preffer the older firm star plastic that can still be found over the newer softer star plastic. Also the mild/flatter dome is more consistent with the older runs, the newer soft stuff is domey. Haven't got into PFN or echo stars so I don't know how they fly. Most or all echo stars I have felt have been domey and softer so I've passed at trying them out. Xcals definitely start out beefy overstable for me but they beat into lazer beams when I throw them hard and flat wristed after a while. I haven't experienced that with any other disc. If I need to send a disc really high over a tree or something I'll throw something with more dome though. I get the best lines at lower heights with my Xcals.

I wanted to post, not just out of my love for the magical Xcaliber, but to send vibes out to the world that Nate Sexton should get a signature Xcal someday.. How awesome would the SeXcal be?
Just passing by to 100% agree with Anthony_G on this one. A SeXcal would be awesome, maybe even in swirly star. That would make me happy. That's all.

Niced: (2)

Old 05-09-2017, 04:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 140
Niced 1,108 Times in 552 Posts

I do not like swirly star.