Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Rules Questions & Discussion

View Poll Results: Should the PDGA allow opting out of player packs?
Yes 23 47.92%
No 25 52.08%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #121  
Old 12-26-2019, 02:33 PM
araytx araytx is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: DFW
Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 213
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,238
Niced 301 Times in 180 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
My point was that perhaps there are players who would only do no-players-pack, while others would only do players-pack. Maybe 40% want no-pack and 60% want a players pack. If we start offering ONLY players pack events (because that is what is more popular) we would miss the other 40% of potential players.

We should not limit all events to "THE ONE" best style. Tight standards to make every event the "best kind" of event is not the way to maximize total attendance at all events. TDs should be able to sanction almost any kind of event.
I believe that no one is limiting it to any one style. I think TDs can do what is proposed in the OP, and many other options as well. What I've just said is, that as a TD, it seems like it is a huge logistical nightmare to actually do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trasf View Post
Is it really that important to have participation trophy for adults on low tier tournament?
Apparently yes. Because many people say, including on this forum, that they won't even sign up if they don't get something out of it.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 12-26-2019, 03:36 PM
JC17393 JC17393 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Years Playing: 22.1
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 7,941
Niced 3,925 Times in 1,618 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by araytx View Post
Apparently yes. Because many people say, including on this forum, that they won't even sign up if they don't get something out of it.
I think the consensus is more that they won't sign up if they *can't* get something out of it. In other words, many people who don't like or want a player pack don't necessarily desire a lower entry fee in exchange for no player pack. They'd be fine with, and in many cases really prefer that the money earmarked for player packs goes to the payout to the winners instead.

It's really the source of the viewpoint that a player pack is a "participation trophy". You really can only view it that way if you view the value for your entry based on what you take home rather than the totality of the experience.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 01-09-2020, 09:44 AM
miyabhai101 miyabhai101 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 3
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

So to be clear, for those opposing this idea and who has posted so, are you saying if player packs were sold separately at the event and not part of the registration fee, the majority of players (if not all of them), would buy one?
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 01-09-2020, 11:15 AM
Future_Primitive's Avatar
Future_Primitive Future_Primitive is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Michigan
Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 131
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,592
Niced 756 Times in 334 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyabhai101 View Post
So to be clear, for those opposing this idea and who has posted so, are you saying if player packs were sold separately at the event and not part of the registration fee, the majority of players (if not all of them), would buy one?
The problem is the majority of folks who TD and run events dont own a disc store. Most are just your fellow players trying to put something together for others in the area to participate in. It is very hard to know what to order for the event if everyone gets a choice of pack or no pack even up to the night before when signing up.

Say you got 72 player max tourney and you need to order discs from manufacturer 2-3 weeks before the event to get them in time, how many do you order? Do you do 36, what if 50 people want a player pack so 14 people will be mad? Do you order 72? What if the same 50 people want packs? Now the TD is stuck with 22 extras coming out of his/her pocket or the clubs funds. Unless you are a disc golf store owner who can just put extras in stock it is really unfair to expect an individual to absorb the cost and wait until the next tournament.

To me its either an all or nothing proposition, higher entry and pack or lower entry and no packs. At some point the entitlement of a portion of DG'ers needs to stop. OMG, can you believe they charged me $30 entry fee to a two round c-tier and made me take home $15 worth of merchandise, what a robbery. I would venture a guess those few whiners for this option have never TD'd and event and never will.

Reply With Quote
 

  #125  
Old 01-10-2020, 12:42 PM
araytx araytx is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: DFW
Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 213
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,238
Niced 301 Times in 180 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future_Primitive View Post
The problem is the majority of folks who TD and run events dont own a disc store. Most are just your fellow players trying to put something together for others in the area to participate in. It is very hard to know what to order for the event if everyone gets a choice of pack or no pack even up to the night before when signing up.

Say you got 72 player max tourney and you need to order discs from manufacturer 2-3 weeks before the event to get them in time, how many do you order? Do you do 36, what if 50 people want a player pack so 14 people will be mad? Do you order 72? What if the same 50 people want packs? Now the TD is stuck with 22 extras coming out of his/her pocket or the clubs funds. Unless you are a disc golf store owner who can just put extras in stock it is really unfair to expect an individual to absorb the cost and wait until the next tournament.

To me its either an all or nothing proposition, higher entry and pack or lower entry and no packs. At some point the entitlement of a portion of DG'ers needs to stop. OMG, can you believe they charged me $30 entry fee to a two round c-tier and made me take home $15 worth of merchandise, what a robbery. I would venture a guess those few whiners for this option have never TD'd and event and never will.

^^^
Players. See above. From a TD's point of view. Logistical nightmare.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Player Packs claytonwoirol TD's Corner 24 09-04-2019 11:02 AM
Trilogy challenge player packs!! shue The Marketplace 12 07-29-2014 12:28 PM
What's in the Worlds' player packs? TheOtherBill General Disc Golf Chat 8 07-16-2012 05:33 PM
Ace Race - Additional Prize packs or additions to the player packs jkoffsuit Tournaments & Leagues 11 05-06-2011 03:04 PM
Worlds Player's Packs Camgolfer Tournaments & Leagues 25 07-29-2009 04:10 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.