#21  
Old 06-05-2015, 05:30 PM
joegraham's Avatar
joegraham joegraham is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oregon
Years Playing: 36.1
Courses Played: 111
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 734
Niced 23 Times in 13 Posts
Default

NW: Wheatland DGC, Gervais, OR
SW: Morley Field, San Diego, CA
NE: Pleasant Hill DGC, Scarborough ME
SE: Turkey Lake, Orlando, FL
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-05-2015, 06:25 PM
mashnut's Avatar
mashnut mashnut is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Escondido, CA
Years Playing: 18.4
Courses Played: 831
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 14,396
Niced 32 Times in 20 Posts
Default

The trips we took to the southeast stand out to my wife and I in terms of density of quality courses. Charlotte itself is easily the best single city we've disced in, and when you add in the NC mountains and the courses in GA and SC it's a really fantastic region to go road tripping. That said, you can't go wrong at Selah or Highbridge either, those are really standout destinations in their own right. Wisconsin in general has a ton of great places to play though they're pretty spread out throughout the state, and white there aren't a ton of truly amazing courses in Dallas it's hard to beat the sheer number of above average courses in that metro area. California is a little tougher, there are some really fantastic places to play, but they're really far apart and it's a lot harder to put together a trip to play the standouts in a reasonable amount of time.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-05-2015, 08:15 PM
tallpaul's Avatar
tallpaul tallpaul is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Appleton, Wisconsin
Years Playing: 32.1
Courses Played: 913
Posts: 2,659
Niced 122 Times in 61 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
The trips we took to the southeast stand out to my wife and I in terms of density of quality courses. Charlotte itself is easily the best single city we've disced in, and when you add in the NC mountains and the courses in GA and SC it's a really fantastic region to go road tripping. That said, you can't go wrong at Selah or Highbridge either, those are really standout destinations in their own right. Wisconsin in general has a ton of great places to play though they're pretty spread out throughout the state, and white there aren't a ton of truly amazing courses in Dallas it's hard to beat the sheer number of above average courses in that metro area. California is a little tougher, there are some really fantastic places to play, but they're really far apart and it's a lot harder to put together a trip to play the standouts in a reasonable amount of time.
^^^This...pretty much word for word.
*Though I have not yet made the Selah pilgrimage; and though as I hit as much as possible; my time on the west coast was limited.*
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-05-2015, 09:25 PM
Martin Dewgarita's Avatar
Martin Dewgarita Martin Dewgarita is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In the Woods, WI
Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 1370
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,948
Niced 916 Times in 314 Posts
Default

For a single destination, Highbridge cannot be beat. So many great courses at one venue, any one of which could make my top 10 on a given day (excluding chestnut and woodland green). Wisconsin is probably my favorite state for dg (as unbiased as possible, yeah I live here, but my opinion was the same when I lived in the neighboring state where I was born and raised to despise cheeseheads). Highbridge tops the list, but then you throw in places like Rollin Ridge and Justin trails and Winter Park and solid DG cities like Madison, Milwaukee, Stevens Point and the area surrounding Eau Claire, nothing can top it. Except maybe...

For a road trip worthy destination, it's hard to beat the southeast - Charlotte is incredible, hands down best city for dg. And as Mashnut (and consequently tallpall) eluded to, a drive to the surrounding area like triad and stoney and the mountains will leave you amazed. Throw in that the IDGC and surrounding courses are a short day's drive away, and the Southeast tops the list of destinations.

One of the most epic places to play is right in the center of the country and I will never miss the opportunity to play Ozark Mountain, throw in a day or two in St. Louis and an evening in Crystal City and you will have a very memorable experience.

The South. Selah is an experience of a lifetime, it was a great experience, loved both courses, would definitely play them again if I'm in the area, but don't feel the need to go out of my way for them. Haven't played trey texas yet, so I would plan a trip back to the area to spend some time at both locations. The Lodge isn't too far north and is one that I will go out of the way for (once it has been repaired, for now if I was in the area maybe I'd stop by to volunteer some labor to help rebuild). I had a blast in the Houston area, Austin was pretty awesome, and DFW had solid courses but nothing spectacular.

The West. Cali had some of my favorites, but they are few and far between, I don't see the state as a disc golf destination area, more of a culture and natural destination area with some great disc golf thrown in. The same can be said for most of the western states, some great golf in Montana, Arizona, Utah, Idaho, etc, but course bagging involved more driving than throwing.

Northeast. Pennsylvania, Delaware, New York, (Can't speak for Maine really, though from what I've heard it could easily be included), all have amazing courses with not too much driving in between, definitely a road trip worthy destination area that I plan to return to someday.

That's all I have for now, I could go on and on, get me started on talking about courses, specifically my favorite courses, and I can hold a conversation for days...
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-05-2015, 09:30 PM
tallpaul's Avatar
tallpaul tallpaul is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Appleton, Wisconsin
Years Playing: 32.1
Courses Played: 913
Posts: 2,659
Niced 122 Times in 61 Posts
Default

Since mr. dewgarita chimed in, I should also note that I grew up in the mid atlantic and played a lot of early rounds in that region. I periodically get back there to visit family and old stomping grounds and have always told everyone that the region is underappreciated and was instigating great, forward design techniques (some a decade or more) ahead of their acceptance elsewhere. I am referring to Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Virginia, etc.

Unfortunately, in my early time spent in the northeast, there were literally no courses available to play. Just last year, I had the opportunity to play a handful, and there is great disc golf there as well.

Last edited by tallpaul; 06-05-2015 at 09:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-06-2015, 10:21 AM
flannelking flannelking is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 67
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I live in Chicagoland. Which is a close drive to parts of WI and MI, but sometimes visit my hometown in central IL. How is the DG in southern to mid MI? Would it be with the trip or should I go to WI instead? Indiana's Lemon Lake DG would be on my way to MI.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-06-2015, 02:09 PM
cefire's Avatar
cefire cefire is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bay Area CA
Years Playing: 21.1
Courses Played: 718
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 530
Niced 53 Times in 28 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Dewgarita View Post
For a single destination, Highbridge cannot be beat. So many great courses at one venue, any one of which could make my top 10 on a given day (excluding chestnut and woodland green). Wisconsin is probably my favorite state for dg (as unbiased as possible, yeah I live here, but my opinion was the same when I lived in the neighboring state where I was born and raised to despise cheeseheads). Highbridge tops the list, but then you throw in places like Rollin Ridge and Justin trails and Winter Park and solid DG cities like Madison, Milwaukee, Stevens Point and the area surrounding Eau Claire, nothing can top it. Except maybe...

For a road trip worthy destination, it's hard to beat the southeast - Charlotte is incredible, hands down best city for dg. And as Mashnut (and consequently tallpall) eluded to, a drive to the surrounding area like triad and stoney and the mountains will leave you amazed. Throw in that the IDGC and surrounding courses are a short day's drive away, and the Southeast tops the list of destinations.

One of the most epic places to play is right in the center of the country and I will never miss the opportunity to play Ozark Mountain, throw in a day or two in St. Louis and an evening in Crystal City and you will have a very memorable experience.

The South. Selah is an experience of a lifetime, it was a great experience, loved both courses, would definitely play them again if I'm in the area, but don't feel the need to go out of my way for them. Haven't played trey texas yet, so I would plan a trip back to the area to spend some time at both locations. The Lodge isn't too far north and is one that I will go out of the way for (once it has been repaired, for now if I was in the area maybe I'd stop by to volunteer some labor to help rebuild). I had a blast in the Houston area, Austin was pretty awesome, and DFW had solid courses but nothing spectacular.

The West. Cali had some of my favorites, but they are few and far between, I don't see the state as a disc golf destination area, more of a culture and natural destination area with some great disc golf thrown in. The same can be said for most of the western states, some great golf in Montana, Arizona, Utah, Idaho, etc, but course bagging involved more driving than throwing.

Northeast. Pennsylvania, Delaware, New York, (Can't speak for Maine really, though from what I've heard it could easily be included), all have amazing courses with not too much driving in between, definitely a road trip worthy destination area that I plan to return to someday.

That's all I have for now, I could go on and on, get me started on talking about courses, specifically my favorite courses, and I can hold a conversation for days...
Man, I agree with all of this (except for maybe Houston ) Makes me want to get out to Selah to see what I've been missing from that corner
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-06-2015, 02:11 PM
cefire's Avatar
cefire cefire is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bay Area CA
Years Playing: 21.1
Courses Played: 718
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 530
Niced 53 Times in 28 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallpaul View Post
the region is underappreciated and was instigating great, forward design techniques (some a decade or more) ahead of their acceptance elsewhere. I am referring to Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Virginia, etc.
Truth, they don't have the big names like Houck, but the culture of good course design has grassroots in the mid-atlantic
Reply With Quote
 

  #29  
Old 07-06-2015, 02:28 PM
goosefraba1's Avatar
goosefraba1 goosefraba1 is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Portsmouth, Ohio
Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 73
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,948
Niced 69 Times in 27 Posts
Default

I've got:

North (or is it Central)- Flip, MI
Central (I guess)- Idlewild/Coyote Trace/Holler, KY
East Coast- Richmond Hill, NC
West Coast - Golden Gate, CA (Only course I got to play out there... it is only alright)

I still have lots of courses that I want to get to.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to the whole disc golf world Colonel21 Newbie Intros and Q&A 57 01-26-2014 08:19 PM
Highest Disc Golf Course in the World? Webslinger Disc Golf Courses 10 09-17-2013 04:21 PM
Disc Golf in the World Games turbosteve General Disc Golf Chat 9 11-16-2012 08:11 AM
4 2012 disc golf world championship disc - 2 limited edition MrRaider The Marketplace 9 10-03-2012 10:04 PM
whats up disc golf world!? papacon General Disc Golf Chat 12 06-24-2011 02:15 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.