Old 09-13-2014, 11:05 PM

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 8
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Possibility of a New Disc Golf Course in Denver Metro?

I work for the University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus. My primary work location is the Anschutz Medical Campus at the former Fitzsimons Army base in Aurora, Colorado, near Colfax and Peoria.

I've been playing disc golf for about 15 or 16 months and consider myself a serious addict of the sport. I am posting here in search of some local (or maybe not-so-local?) expertise on getting through the political red tape of getting approval to build a disc golf course.

The campus that I work at (Anschutz|Fitzsimons) used to be an army base. The (ball) golf course that has been a fixture at Fitzsimons for many decades is going to be shutdown in the near future, as more healthcare and bioscience businesses are being built on a campus where healthcare education is flourishing -- and the landowners are looking for more room to expand.

I feel that there is a great potential to create a disc gold course on the campus. There is a lot of space and a lot of opportunity, but I am pretty clueless as to how to convert that opportunity into reality. Denver has some great disc golf courses, and I feel like there is a HUGE opportunity here to create a very unique disc golf course using a lot of land and quite a few old trees (and maybe buildings?) - and perhaps pulling in parts of the old "ball" golf course that has been there for years.

Is there anybody out there who can help me out with, or put me in contact with people who know how to work through the process of proposing a disc golf course on publicly-owned land?

Any other ideas out there?

This looks to me like a HUGE opportunity- let's not waste it!

Sean
Sponsored Links

Old 09-13-2014, 11:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 156
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 736 Times in 297 Posts

A good start would be to contact the Mile High Disc Golf Club. There are a bunch of guys there that have the experience with exactly this sort of thing. Good luck to you, Denver could use a good, quality course, as for a city that size, it's a little bit lacking.