Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Rules Questions & Discussion

Old 07-25-2019, 03:27 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 39 Times in 24 Posts
Default Apologies If Answered - Newish Rule About "Lie" and "Flipping Disc"

I am sorry, all... I cannot get a clear answer. I read the rules and saw the diagram with the "shoebox" (20cm wide and 30cm deep) behind the disc/mini marker.

I cannot figure out if I am "allowed" to flip the disc and THEN place the mini.

Can I take my disc, turn it over and mark from the front of the position? Or, do I align my mini with the part of the thrown disc CLOSEST to me?

Here, it seems to answer it, but I am still feeling uncertain:

"Marking the Lie
QA-MAR-1: An inexperienced player in my group flipped his disc to mark it and threw from there. What’s the call?

That is a marking violation since an improper method was used to mark the lie. A player’s first marking violation results in a warning."

Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image1.jpg (49.1 KB, 37 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2019, 03:33 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19
Courses Played: 72
Niced 313 Times in 172 Posts

It's all in Section 810.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:56 PM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 177
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 860 Times in 391 Posts

I wont tell you to just go read the rule book.

You are never allowed in sanctioned play to flip your disc. Lay your mini at the front of your disc and then pick up your disc, and that will be your new lie. You also dont have to mark your disc, you can just throw from where it landed.

You would mark your disc at the furthest point away from you or the closest point to the basket.

Now in casual play you are more then welcome to flip your disc and play from that lie but it is slightly frowned upon, and if you do flip your disc you do not mark it with your mini. I would suggest not flipping your disc at all since in sanctioned play if you do you will get a penalty.

Old 07-25-2019, 04:04 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsman View Post
I wont tell you to just go read the rule book.

You are never allowed in sanctioned play to flip your disc. Lay your mini at the front of your disc and then pick up your disc, and that will be your new lie. You also dont have to mark your disc, you can just throw from where it landed.

You would mark your disc at the furthest point away from you or the closest point to the basket.

Now in casual play you are more then welcome to flip your disc and play from that lie but it is slightly frowned upon, and if you do flip your disc you do not mark it with your mini. I would suggest not flipping your disc at all since in sanctioned play if you do you will get a penalty.
Thank you for taking the time to answer my question instead of telling me to "just go look at the rules." Isn't that the point of this sub-forum, anyway???

And, 810 is NOT exactly clear on this issue.
Thanks again

Niced: (1)

Last edited by phishbiscuits; 07-25-2019 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-25-2019, 04:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19
Courses Played: 72
Niced 313 Times in 172 Posts

My answer was telling you where to look in the rules that answers your specific question. The marking section tells you how to do it. Section 810 tells you why you can't do what you are asking.
Old 07-25-2019, 04:10 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 131
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 831 Times in 374 Posts

As Horsman explained perfectly, you are never allowed to flip the disc you just threw as a means of marking in a sanctioned event. You either play from behind where the disc currently lies or you place a mini marker down, remove the thrown disc, and then play from behind the mini.

I think your attached diagram is simply showing the box size/location doesnt change for either method, mini or thrown disc as the lie.
Old 07-25-2019, 04:53 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 245 Times in 128 Posts

Others have given you the answer.

The picture you posted can be misleading. It is meant just to demonstrate foot position on the lie whether your lie is marked by a mini or a thrown disc. But it can be misconstrued as implying that the mini is marked at the back of the thrown disc - it is not, as others have said, it is marked at the front of the thrown disc.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Niced: (1)

Last edited by cheesethin; 07-25-2019 at 04:57 PM.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:16 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krupicka View Post
My answer was telling you where to look in the rules that answers your specific question. The marking section tells you how to do it. Section 810 tells you why you can't do what you are asking.
I appreciate it. I am just not well-versed in PDGA rules and sought a clear ELI5-type response. It's sort of like my student coming to ask me a question about an assigned reading and me telling them, "it's in the reading." The "reading," in this case, was the relevant sections of the PDGA rule book. It was unclear to me as written.

Thanks again.

Last edited by phishbiscuits; 07-25-2019 at 05:18 PM.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:17 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future_Primitive View Post
As Horsman explained perfectly, you are never allowed to flip the disc you just threw as a means of marking in a sanctioned event. You either play from behind where the disc currently lies or you place a mini marker down, remove the thrown disc, and then play from behind the mini.

I think your attached diagram is simply showing the box size/location doesnt change for either method, mini or thrown disc as the lie.
Thank you for the clarification.

Old 07-25-2019, 05:18 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesethin View Post
Others have given you the answer.

The picture you posted can be misleading. It is meant just to demonstrate foot position on the lie whether your lie is marked by a mini or a thrown disc. But it can be misconstrued as implying that the mini is marked at the back of the thrown disc - it is not, as others have said, it is marked at the front of the thrown disc.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
I think this was part of the problem for me, honestly. So, thank you!