Old 01-20-2019, 10:25 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.7
Courses Played: 125
Niced 2,366 Times in 1,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyzflip10 View Post
I was refering to Chuck's quote where he definitely makes a distinction. I was just wondering what that distinction is. No big deal, just curiousity so I can follow the discussion.

"Financial sustainability is in growing the game, not so much the sport. More playing the game ultimately supports the viability of the sport."
I was, too. Though probably not clearly.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2019, 10:38 AM
Par Member

Niced 115 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
I was, too. Though probably not clearly.
I agree most people who use the phrase don't draw a distinction. It is possible at a strategic level there is a difference.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:11 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 575 Times in 286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Butlertron View Post
I got 2/3 of the way through a Gordie Howe "grow the sport" hat trick yesterday. I introduced disc golf to a completely new player and bought some sweet merch from a dg retailer. Unfortunately, I don't own a dog to take off leash to complete the cycle
Seems to me you need to sign a lease. I can get you 36 months at $420.00/month with $666.00 due at signing.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 19
Niced 637 Times in 356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDABRUSH View Post
They can't hear you cuz their ear buds won't let them. They will be assimilated, resistance is futile.
Better ear buds than having to listen to horrid music blasting. Even if it was Enya, Nightwish, Pachelbel or Megadeth, I prefer the sounds of nature.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-23-2019, 08:15 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 21
Niced 82 Times in 32 Posts

https://rad-creations.com/the-role-o...-in-disc-golf/

Apparently #growthesport can be used as a reason to steal people's work now.

'Yeah, I posted your video and photos, and half an article someone else wrote on our company page, but it was to growthesport. Don't you want to grow the sport?'
Old 01-24-2019, 09:55 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 64
Niced 59 Times in 36 Posts

Go outside and "grow the sport" sure beats sit inside and "grow the waistline"

Old 01-24-2019, 11:34 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 14.9
Courses Played: 164
Niced 48 Times in 11 Posts

Years ago, when I started playing (2003) my friends and I would use the PDGA site to find courses. When a new course got put in we were so excited. When DGCR launched, we were pumped because we could actually plan elaborate road trips and get solid info from locals through the reviews. In short, during that discovery phase for me, I got so excited when new courses or websites came out where I could experience different aspects of disc golf. More recently, it's the advent of professionally edited tournament footage. My sons wait for Jomez and CCDG to pump out content and they watch it all. They don't care who's playing; they want to see the courses.

In short, I've seen a ton of growth over 16 years. More discs and companies, more media, more players, etc. To me, I love the growth because it results in more courses. Many of you guys/gals have come into the sport within the last 7 years when it was already pretty big and is still growing. That makes it easy to want to keep the community small. Growing pains, I get it. But for those of us who used to have to plan weekend excursions and drive 35-45 minutes between courses...well, we love the number of new courses.

As a side note, because I saw it mentioned...please don't complain when a town puts in a "pitch and putt" course unless it's in a wide open field or something. Every area needs a course like that to introduce kids and new players. Also, it provides some of us with an opportunity for a very quick casual round. As a newlywed with no kids in 2003 (and now I have 3 kids) it was easy to go play when I liked for as long as I liked. Now, being able to sneak out a play a round in a little over an hour is a great thing.

Niced: (3)