Old 01-14-2019, 11:10 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 29.9
Courses Played: 669
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,097 Times in 526 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwgort View Post
Also, could we do other events? Ski jump long distance driving?
Wouldn't be surprised if some Finns were already trying this.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2019, 11:12 AM
I Don't Actually Disc Golf

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,422 Times in 1,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkgreen View Post
The Olympics are so corrupt and wasteful. I dont want disc golf to have any part in it.
This brings up a legitimate point that Disc Golf might be around long after the current IOC is dead and buried. It's getting to the point where almost no one can afford to host an Olympics, and the corruption in everything from soccer to the US gymnastics molestation scandal is really hurting the current Olympics.

Also, if you're reading this post on these boards, then you likely already have an avid interest in Disc Golf. And you are one of the very few that even know about it. When I have to explain to people what those metal poles with chains hanging down are (that they've seen as they drive on the road), then I know DG has a long way to go to become known in the real world.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:52 AM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 68
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 721 Times in 497 Posts

I know we are a small audience, but I now frequently watch tournament footage with my wife, our friends and kids. The girls, even though they don’t really play, get invested in the ladies especially.

I like watching disc golf if it’s shot well, but maybe were a small minority.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-14-2019, 12:27 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 44.8
Courses Played: 324
Niced 1,202 Times in 616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Discussion's fun.....not worth much of the PDGA's efforts or resources, though.
Setting aside the "O" aspect, it would seem like lighted night disc golf would at least be something one of the video crews could try. Sponsored by a provider of disc- and target-lights. That's who needs to be convinced.

Those "talent" shows on TV show how to light up people to emphasize movement.

I would think some sort of delay effect would create automatic flight tracks, and player movement tracks.

Perhaps one of the newer crews would want to get noticed by making a video that stands apart.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:15 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 82
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 42 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
You can't realistically focus on the Summer Olympics until you have around 50 national associations overseeing the sport in their country. We're in the neighborhood of 20 or so right now. More realistic to lobby for inclusion in the Winter Olympics with a lower minimum country threshold. Most of our disc golf countries are already active in the Winter Olympics with several other sports.
Disc Golf isnt eligible to be in the Winter Olympics because it isnt played primarily on ice or snow. You cant try to lobby for a sport to be in the Winter Olympics because it isnt popular to get into the summer olympics. Also there are probably more than 20 national associations if you include flying disc associations which the wfdf is pushing for. I could see a potential conflict where the PDGA recognizes one association but the WFDF recognizes another one. The WFDF has also created a mixed team event which the IOC has been pushing for recently. The PDGA co-sanctions it but Im not sure they are really supporting it. Teams could be formed by people who hold passports in multiple countries.