#21  
Old 01-16-2019, 10:43 AM
biscoe biscoe is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: spotsylvania, va
Years Playing: 23.7
Courses Played: 94
Posts: 5,994
Niced 1,026 Times in 491 Posts
Default

The ideal size of a green varies from hole to hole and like pornography I know it when i see it.

I dislike hanging baskets in general.

The basket in the stream is unique and photogenic but I can't say I like the concept from a gameplay standpoint if the stream is played as OB.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)

Last edited by biscoe; 01-16-2019 at 10:45 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-23-2019, 04:29 PM
joecoin's Avatar
joecoin joecoin is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: North Central Ohio
Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,170
Niced 575 Times in 286 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
...

The basket in the stream is unique and photogenic but I can't say I like the concept from a gameplay standpoint if the stream is played as OB.
How about, your next shot is from where you are finally able to stop your discs journey downstream?
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-23-2019, 06:41 PM
ToddL ToddL is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Greenville, SC
Years Playing: 22.7
Courses Played: 119
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 868
Niced 232 Times in 109 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootsDiscGolf View Post
What do you all think about putting a hanging basket up between 5 trees that are in a circle? I would make it stationary not on a chain so it is blowing in the wind.
Generally speaking, hanging baskets add nothing that you couldn't do just as good or better by sticking it in the ground. If you want it elevated, just build an elevated basket. Maybe if you're hanging it over the middle of a creek, but most of the time it's just a worse version of a regular basket.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-23-2019, 07:23 PM
Hyzflip10 Hyzflip10 is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 148
Niced 115 Times in 54 Posts
Default

My opinion is if you are within 10 meters of the basket, you should have some type of clean look at the basket (straddle or staggered stance). It ok to have to step around a tree or obstacle, but there shouldn't be a case where you are completely obstructed.

My home course has a hole where you can be 6 feet from the hole on your drive, and not have any shot at the basket at all because the basket is directly between two large trunked trees. It makes for an interesting hole but it adds too much luck into the equation imo. 2 feet either way and it is a birdie on an otherwise wide open hole (once you clear a 200 foot drive over a pond). It is fine to have the tree alter the putt and test different skills, but who wants to have to settle for a 3 on an otherwise perfect drive?

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-23-2019, 07:27 PM
DavidSauls's Avatar
DavidSauls DavidSauls is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Newberry, SC
Years Playing: 23.7
Courses Played: 125
Posts: 14,514
Niced 2,366 Times in 1,119 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddL View Post
Generally speaking, hanging baskets add nothing that you couldn't do just as good or better by sticking it in the ground. If you want it elevated, just build an elevated basket. Maybe if you're hanging it over the middle of a creek, but most of the time it's just a worse version of a regular basket.
But they look cool.

But, yeah, as the owner of one, I concede the point. Doesn't significantly change the way the hole plays. Sometimes annoying as the basket rocks or spins after a hard putt. But people smile when they first see it.

However, RootsDiscGolf is hoping for one trait a hanging basket may have over a fixed basket---swaying in the wind. If that's what you want, hang one. Though I'll caution that they don't really swing much in the wind, unless the limb they're hung from is small enough to do so, or they're put in a particularly wind-swept location, on a very windy day.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-23-2019, 09:20 PM
sidewinder22's Avatar
sidewinder22 sidewinder22 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Creeping Creek DGC
Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 219
Posts: 13,879
Niced 2,082 Times in 1,308 Posts
Default

Hanging baskets are usually level and can make death putts scarier because there is no pole under the basket to stop low misses.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-23-2019, 09:44 PM
nate22's Avatar
nate22 nate22 is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Queensland, Australia
Courses Played: 21
Posts: 892
Niced 82 Times in 32 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
The knock against putting baskets too close to OB is that people will use it as a backstop. A penalty isn't so punitive if you can easily make your comeback putt from your drop.

So, if you're going to put a basket within 15 ft or so of OB, I'd suggest using drop zones for such situations. Granted, each hole if different.
Learnt that one, people where throwing ob on purpose, taking the 5m par putt. Installed a 15m dropzone, and it's a play it where it lies during casual play with penalty.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-24-2019, 08:10 AM
joecoin's Avatar
joecoin joecoin is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: North Central Ohio
Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,170
Niced 575 Times in 286 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddL View Post
Generally speaking, hanging baskets add nothing that you couldn't do just as good or better by sticking it in the ground. If you want it elevated, just build an elevated basket. Maybe if you're hanging it over the middle of a creek, but most of the time it's just a worse version of a regular basket.
Hanging baskets are easy to mow under.

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-24-2019, 08:10 AM
biscoe biscoe is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: spotsylvania, va
Years Playing: 23.7
Courses Played: 94
Posts: 5,994
Niced 1,026 Times in 491 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
But they look cool.

But, yeah, as the owner of one, I concede the point. Doesn't significantly change the way the hole plays. Sometimes annoying as the basket rocks or spins after a hard putt. But people smile when they first see it.

However, RootsDiscGolf is hoping for one trait a hanging basket may have over a fixed basket---swaying in the wind. If that's what you want, hang one. Though I'll caution that they don't really swing much in the wind, unless the limb they're hung from is small enough to do so, or they're put in a particularly wind-swept location, on a very windy day.
The potential for them to move/sway is why i don't care for them- inconsistent from one player to the next.
Reply With Quote
 

  #30  
Old 01-24-2019, 08:35 AM
JC17393 JC17393 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Years Playing: 21.1
Courses Played: 144
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 6,896
Niced 2,303 Times in 980 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyzflip10 View Post
My opinion is if you are within 10 meters of the basket, you should have some type of clean look at the basket (straddle or staggered stance). It ok to have to step around a tree or obstacle, but there shouldn't be a case where you are completely obstructed.

My home course has a hole where you can be 6 feet from the hole on your drive, and not have any shot at the basket at all because the basket is directly between two large trunked trees. It makes for an interesting hole but it adds too much luck into the equation imo. 2 feet either way and it is a birdie on an otherwise wide open hole (once you clear a 200 foot drive over a pond). It is fine to have the tree alter the putt and test different skills, but who wants to have to settle for a 3 on an otherwise perfect drive?
One could argue that if you have to "settle" for a 3 on an otherwise perfect drive, it isn't really a perfect drive. I mean, the phrase "an otherwise perfect drive" could describe any throw, could it not? If it weren't for that tree the disc hit, it was an otherwise perfect drive. If if weren't for the disc landing in the water, it was an otherwise perfect drive. "An otherwise perfect drive" doesn't really hold up as a good point to argue, IMO.

As a designer, I like the notion of blacking out portions of the target based on where one lands their drive/approach. I have a green on my course where the basket sits about four feet from a large tree (hole length is 290ish feet). As a result, there's a wedge of the circle that if you land in it, you have a very difficult chance of making the putt, particularly in the 10-25 foot range. It is possible to straddle out far enough to throw around the tree from very close, and if you are far enough back there you can bend a shot around, but in that 10-25' sweet spot, it requires a truly perfect shot (angle, speed, height) to throw around the tree and into the basket. By and large, if you land there on your drive, you are going to have to "settle" for a three. This is the only obstacle on the green within ~25 feet of the target in any direction, so that leaves a good 90-95% of the circle as a place for a "perfect" drive to land. I find that exceedingly fair for players of all abilities.

It's not something I'd do on every hole, but as with everything, if done in moderation and done with enough forethought, I don't think there's anything wrong with it as a design element.

Niced: (3)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Your Ideal Course DiscinMiller Disc Golf Courses 52 02-04-2015 12:17 PM
Keen Marshall's Size 13 Green Mike C The Flea Market 7 09-22-2014 04:40 PM
Your Ideal Course LetsPlayGolf Course Design 17 02-26-2012 12:09 PM
Ideal Plastic fountg Technique & Strategy 24 09-17-2010 10:01 AM
Ideal Course jaymon1 Disc Golf Courses 9 03-20-2009 10:28 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.