Old 08-13-2013, 09:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.7
Courses Played: 125
Niced 2,365 Times in 1,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerplunk View Post
I am surprised only one person has mentioned stretches. I tweak my back occasionally, and stretching definitely helps, especially what I call the donkey kick, where you get on your hands and knees and slowly extend you leg and then bring your knee up to your chest, about 10x with each leg. You can find lots of good back stretches on the interwebs.
My orthopedist told me that lower back pain is often the result of tight hamstrings, and relieved by stretching. I'd definitely recommend stretching, on the grounds that it's very unlikely to make the situation worse, and is something you should probably do, anyway.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2013, 10:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.7
Courses Played: 125
Niced 2,365 Times in 1,119 Posts

Speaking as an Old Guy, back pain can come and go. So the starting point is to ask, how severe is the pain, and how long has it been going on? Rest and stretching may be all that's needed. Anti-inflammatories as needed, but not as a regular thing. My experience with chiropractors has been ineffective, but enough people swear by them that I wouldn't dismiss the idea if the condition persists. Heck, my physician even told me to continue seeing the chiro if it helped (it didn't).

I'm usually first on the go-see-a-doctor bandwagon, but with back pain, unless it's pretty severe and persistent, I might hold off.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:26 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 241
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 129 Times in 60 Posts

As another old guy: I jacked my back up last fall fixing up our house, and ended up with back pain and numbness in one leg. Scary stuff.

I went to my doctor who didn't really offer much, but he referred me to a Physical Therapist and that was the answer. A combination of anti-inflammatories and PT got me going again in about 3 weeks. The Physical Therapy involved heat, electrical stimulation, some very specific massage, and follow-up exercises. During the first massage the therapist and I could feel a lump in a particular spot, and at each appointment (3 per week) we could feel the lump getting smaller. On the last scheduled treatment the lump was gone and I was much, much better.

I still get back pain now and then, and I immediately start the back exercises that I was taught during PT. So I am a huge fan of Physical Therapy.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:32 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 67
Niced 85 Times in 49 Posts

Best way to keep back pain in check is exercise daily and stretch every day. Its a constant battle against the war on back pain. Comming from a guy with multiple herniations and buldging discs. Even when ur back feels pretty good dont forget to stretch and exercise.

Bottom line, stretch and exercise likes it your religion.

P.s. stretch and exercise
Old 08-13-2013, 11:05 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 58
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 38 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGAC1 View Post
Best advice is to go see a doctor.

That being said, how exactly did you injure yourself? What motion were you doing at the time? You mentioned that certain flexive and rotational moverments exacerbate the pain - in what capacity, and to what degree? Can you be more descriptive of the specific movements that increase your pain level, and what movements do you find relieve pain?

I personally wouldn't advocate the efficacy of chiropracting, however - some people swear by them. I think its a matter of opinion... If you believe that they give you a more positive mindset on pain management - then by all means take advantage of their practice.
I'm probably going to wait about a week with stretching, RICE, and some anti-inflamatories when needed, and then see if the the pain subsides. It isn't really too bad, just that I've never experienced any sustained back pain in my life before. I'm not sure how I injured it, but it is probably a combination of a lot of things. I bought a house recently and have been doing a few projects, also haven't had as much time for normal stretching and exercise lately. Just got a new mattress a few weeks ago and it may be causing some of the discomfort, although I've been sleeping really well on it. Lastly, I was on vacation for a week and playing lots of golf (a lot more than I am used to these days) and was also camping on an air mattress, but that hasn't given me any issues in the past.

Anyways, I've just been a little stiff in the morning and when twisting to turn off the alarm this morning, really noticed a sharp pain. With some stretching and hot shower, it subsided but it still feels a little tender.

Going to really focus on stretching and getting my core back in shape over the next few weeks. I'll put off disc golf for now until I feel I'm able to play again. Not that big of a deal for me, I can go months without playing and don't miss it a bit.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 58
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 38 Times in 16 Posts

BTW, thanks everybody for the replies. Lots of good info here.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:12 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 24
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by juju View Post
Not sure I want to see a chiropractor since they're not a real doctor. Any advice? Anti-inflamatories, RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation), etc?
First off, you sound like an idiot, chiropractors are primary care physicians.

Second, chiropractors spend much more time treating neuromuscular conditions then your family doc.

Third, There are good and bad doctors in all professions, use your gray matter, what little appears to be there, and search out a highly recommended physician for lbp in your area, be it MD, DC or DO.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:03 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 112
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Nothing 800mg wont fix.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 800mg.jpg (87.6 KB, 7 views)
Old 08-14-2013, 05:35 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.9
Courses Played: 16
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterer View Post
do the hanging-upside-down thing. totally works
I've been meaning to try this because I drive a forklift for 8 to 10 hours and my back kills all the time.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:07 AM

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 7
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Chiropractors have gained acceptance in the medical community. Definitely see at least your PCP. I'm a nurse on a neurosurgery unit and many of the neurosurgeons that I work with refer their patients to chiropractors. They can really help you out.