Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 20.7
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,233 Times in 1,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep View Post
Lets have some fun.

These are all the discs up to the end of 83.

The aviar didn't get approved till jan 1st of 84.
Definitely an 86 Softie.

86'

Damnit.

Produced 88'- huh?

Approved 91' - wtf?
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)

Last edited by GripEnemy; Yesterday at 08:23 PM. Reason: Produced date
Old Today, 08:00 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 65
Niced 214 Times in 142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
I've got to imagine there wasn't a huge amount of difference between most of those lids when it came to actually playing golf with them...at the handful of courses that existed at the time. I wouldn't play for another 6 years, and Stingrays were out by then (my first one). I have yet to ever see, let alone hold or throw, a real vintage Midnight Flyer, but that's what the good players used according to all the stuff I've seen and read. They were heavier than standard Frisbees, correct?

(Now that I think about it, I was in PDGA #315's garage while buying that first Stingray for $6, where he had basically a museum on the wall, and the odds are pretty good there were some Midnight Flyers there but I wouldn't have known what they were as someone brand-new that day to the sport...)
Never thrown one, but I know a few people who have them.

Old Today, 12:51 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 33.5
Courses Played: 156
Niced 1,680 Times in 627 Posts

I suppose I should actually answer the OP's question for today and not 1983 after giving it some thought last night. It would have to be a putter, one that I can put some power into but also use with some touch and for actual putting. My go-to putting putter (a well-loved XT Aviar) wouldn't work because it doesn't really take a power throw well. My go-to driving putter (an Opto Mercy) would be ideal for throws but its premium plastic isn't ideal for actual putting. I have some base plastic Mercies that would probably do the trick.

I only outdrive my throwing putters with my speed 9 stuff by like 80-100 feet, so driving with the burst Mercy would still get me pars on most park courses so long as the holes aren't over 450'. Upshots would be fine. I'd wish I still had a Zone and a beat Deputy for those upshots that require either over or understability, but I'd survive.

To be quite honest, all the extra Discs I bag probably don't save me many strokes. I just really enjoy their company!
Old Today, 01:11 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 1,085 Times in 498 Posts

Elite X Buzzz, no doubt. I can actually hit some putts with that thing too. What I lose in distance over a driver I can definitely make up with the fact that it's a lot easier to bang in all those 15 footers with one versus a Leopard.

It goes a lot longer than my putters do and a lot easier to forehand as well.

Old Today, 01:34 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 33.5
Courses Played: 156
Niced 1,680 Times in 627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripEnemy View Post
Definitely an 86 Softie.

86'

Damnit.

Produced 88'- huh?

Approved 91' - wtf?
Our local guru, who played on lead card with Climo at worlds twice back in the day, still putts with an 86 Softie. I think the number refers to a mold number, not a year, although it was coincidentally close. The 44 mold Whippet-like one I had would definitely make less sense in regards to a year!

Niced: (2)

Old Today, 01:57 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 20.7
Courses Played: 43
Niced 2,233 Times in 1,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
Our local guru, who played on lead card with Climo at worlds twice back in the day, still putts with an 86 Softie. I think the number refers to a mold number, not a year, although it was coincidentally close. The 44 mold Whippet-like one I had would definitely make less sense in regards to a year!
Ha, yeah, I was mostly going for silly. I know a handful of players that still use them and it's certainly impressive...odd feeling disc but if they made a new run I'd buy some!