Old 10-17-2019, 05:29 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 27
Niced 543 Times in 223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Heck, they can even ask the TD before signing up, if he'll be providing accurate distances.
.....but, you know, please don't as we have more important things to do than answer such self centered questions before a tournament....
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 10-17-2019, 05:18 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 184 Times in 100 Posts

Udisc works out the distances on holes.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 10-17-2019, 05:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 87
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,859 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesethin View Post
Udisc works out the distances on holes.

Yes but is it accurate enough? Cell phones (and I’ve already covered this) will likely get 30’ +/- accuracy in the woods or worse. That could potentially measure the tee 30’ too close to the basket and the basket 30’ too close to the tee thus making the over all length 60’ too short or the error could go the other way making the length 60’ too long.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:10 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
Yes but is it accurate enough? Cell phones (and I’ve already covered this) will likely get 30’ +/- accuracy in the woods or worse. That could potentially measure the tee 30’ too close to the basket and the basket 30’ too close to the tee thus making the over all length 60’ too short or the error could go the other way making the length 60’ too long.
Yes you're right in terms of GPS accuracy but you can use landmarks/trees/bushes/etc on the satellite maps to improve the accuracy of placing your tee and basket points on the udisc map.

I've only mapped one course on udisc, a short under used 9 holer that had very little info online about it. A lot of the time I didn't use the GPS, the course had been in the ground for a while so some of the baskets were visible on Google maps, and I could pinpoint the (tiny) tee markers just by lining up a couple of trees. The zoom level is quite astonishing I think. I half expect to see myself waving back at me.

Edit
Not so good on heavily wooded courses.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesethin View Post
Yes you're right in terms of GPS accuracy but you can use landmarks/trees/bushes/etc on the satellite maps to improve the accuracy of placing your tee and basket points on the udisc map.

I've only mapped one course on udisc, a short under used 9 holer that had very little info online about it. A lot of the time I didn't use the GPS, the course had been in the ground for a while so some of the baskets were visible on Google maps, and I could pinpoint the (tiny) tee markers just by lining up a couple of trees. The zoom level is quite astonishing I think. I half expect to see myself waving back at me.

Edit
Not so good on heavily wooded courses.
Don't get me wrong, I love uDisc and I think its a wonderful app and from a players standpoint I think the distances are plenty accurate for my game. Of course I suck tremendously so take that with a grain of salt...And I am totally fine with us as a DG community agreeing to use whatever uDisc spits out for distances so long as everyone knows its limitations and are okay with that.

What I don't want to see is a accuracy requirement placed on TD's because that's going to become a tool for salty bro's to bludgeon the TD's they are irritated at and frankly it really means nothing to the final score. It really doesn't. I like the best practices idea.

One way to really increase accuracy is to average locations which certainly doesn't work at all for surveyors who are billing by the hour but might work here for those (like me) who are a wee bit more anal. This is commonly done with hand held GPS units and those that geocache. So if you maintain a cache its good form to go back to the cache multiple times on different days to get an average location via multiple readings. I wonder how hard that would be to incorporate into the uDisc app? It would just mean every time you play a course over say a month just take a new reading at each tee and basket to add to the location average which would help mitigate the error. This happens because every reading means gauging the location with a new constellation of GPS/GLONASS satellites in the sky.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:39 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 27
Niced 121 Times in 33 Posts

I was just redoing the distances on some of the holes on my course and started overthinking how to measure. Do I measure the intended line, or the direct route from tee to basket?
If I measure the intended line, say, on a right turning fairway, do I measure the shortest distance to the pin,as close to the tree line as possible, or perhaps the wide route? Maybe split the difference?
Or, do I measure the direct route that goes over the trees?
What if there's multiple lines?
Right now I use google earth and go with the intended line distance it gives me.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:41 PM
Birdie Member

I also suck tremendously. If I'm 'gauging' the distance of my next shot, it's going to basically be an upshot that anyone could judge by eye. The rest of the time I'm playing 'throw it as far as you can'.

So I'm never competing in a context where accurate distance appraisal is critical - but it seems like a pointless burden to put on TD's. Let TD's get paid first, and then we can draw up our list of demands!

Old 10-17-2019, 06:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.9
Courses Played: 104
Niced 317 Times in 140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by riltim View Post
I don't think I've ever referenced a tee sign distance for deciding what disc to throw on a hole. it's useless data as there are so many other variables that go into what shot to throw. At my home course there is a 340' hole that I'm throwing a putter on all day and then there is a 255' hole that I'm throwing my a 10 speed driver on to try to get near the pin.
I always look at the distance on the tee sign when playing a new course, and it can influence what disc I am going to use.

If knowing the distance to the basket is useless data why are some of the top pros using range finders?
Old 10-17-2019, 10:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscgolfStu View Post
I was just redoing the distances on some of the holes on my course and started overthinking how to measure. Do I measure the intended line, or the direct route from tee to basket?
If I measure the intended line, say, on a right turning fairway, do I measure the shortest distance to the pin,as close to the tree line as possible, or perhaps the wide route? Maybe split the difference?
Or, do I measure the direct route that goes over the trees?
What if there's multiple lines?
Right now I use google earth and go with the intended line distance it gives me.
IMHO the best thing to do is (if possible) show the line you measure on the hole map and let the player decide from there. So basically if its a dog-leg just measure along the dogleg if you're using a tape and show that on the map. If you're using a GPS device then your results are going to be directly from tee to basket as the crow flies. Again, show that on the map and let the players figure it out from there.

Niced: (1)

Old 10-17-2019, 11:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 330
Niced 2,424 Times in 1,189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
On some courses, the real value of knowing the distance, the first time out, is knowing where to look for the basket if it's not readily visible---or, knowing that the basket is 700' away and not likely to be visible.
Amen.