#71  
Old 08-23-2018, 01:29 PM
DiscJunkie's Avatar
DiscJunkie DiscJunkie is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Wilmington, NC
Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 4,512
Niced 530 Times in 225 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocNasty View Post
When pulling through the power point and spinning on the axis. Do you suggest rotation off the heel or toes? I have heard both and honestly catch myself doing both ways sometimes. Never noticed it causing any issues although I am sure sticking with one or the other would help with consistentsy.
Spinning through on the heel is easier on the knees.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 08-23-2018, 01:59 PM
slowplastic slowplastic is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 6,254
Niced 2,597 Times in 1,648 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocNasty View Post
When pulling through the power point and spinning on the axis. Do you suggest rotation off the heel or toes? I have heard both and honestly catch myself doing both ways sometimes. Never noticed it causing any issues although I am sure sticking with one or the other would help with consistentsy.
Most rotate through the heel. It just happens though with balance. If you look at super slow motion of top pro's they extend the leg and clear the hip, and on lower power shots it's kind of the whole foot foot that is pressured at this point with the toes lifting slightly, and the outside of the shoe drags. On high power shots it seems to be more through the heel. You're not trying to change it though, it just looks different.

This is a result of your balance though. If you are spinning on your toes you may be pushing your body around/in front of the brace? But actually pressuring the toes feels scary to my for my knee.

For example here's McBeth low power, vs. high power in the second clip at 0:36. Wysocki at the beginning is very heel emphasized though.



Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 05-04-2019, 05:48 PM
ragmanXL's Avatar
ragmanXL ragmanXL is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Wisconsin
Years Playing: 32.9
Courses Played: 14
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 47
Niced 28 Times in 14 Posts
Default

I feel kind of silly because I don't fit under any of your categories because I'm only throwing putters 190ft max and maybe my fairway drivers 225ft max on a great throw. I have made no progress in the last 3 seasons either even after watching numerous youtube videos on form and technique.

What should I be focusing on doing right now in my practices?

My current bag is a Leopard 3, a Diamond, and a Teebird for my drivers, my mids are a Z plastic Buzzz and a Z plastic BuzzzOS, my putters are Zero Hard Daggers and Lucid Wardens.

The reason I have two different putter molds is for super tight short fairways I can throw the Warden dead straight whereas the Daggers will fade to the left too much and jump off the fairway if its narrow enough.

I have been experimenting with the Luna and Aviars just to see if I can get those to perform better in the wind better then the others.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 05-04-2019, 06:11 PM
tylerc's Avatar
tylerc tylerc is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: nc
Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 74
Posts: 1,291
Niced 149 Times in 111 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragmanXL View Post
What should I be focusing on doing right now in my practices?
Practice with someone who knows how to throw and can teach you. It is hard to learn through just reading forums and posts on technique. Someone teaching you will always be much better. If that person isn't accessible then posting videos in the technique section is as close as you can get.

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 05-04-2019, 07:05 PM
slowplastic slowplastic is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 6,254
Niced 2,597 Times in 1,648 Posts
Default

Yeah just playing with someone who throws fairly will will open your eyes to what pace to take into the shot, what to focus on etc. For example people who come from Ultimate background often throw the disc way too slow initially and as soon as they see the right pace, backswing, and the velocity to aim for it's common for them to add 50-100' in short order.

Balance and leverage are the most important things though. No sense going faster if the disc is slipping out of your hand because your arm isn't actually swinging it right.

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 05-04-2019, 08:40 PM
ragmanXL's Avatar
ragmanXL ragmanXL is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Wisconsin
Years Playing: 32.9
Courses Played: 14
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 47
Niced 28 Times in 14 Posts
Default

I guess the way to go for me would be throwing strictly mid ranges and putters for now then. If I would chose a driver at this point I guess stick with that Star Leopard 3 or a Gold Line Diamond and my Metal Flake Teebird, I just got the Leopard 3 and Teebird a few weeks ago.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 05-04-2019, 08:43 PM
ragmanXL's Avatar
ragmanXL ragmanXL is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Wisconsin
Years Playing: 32.9
Courses Played: 14
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 47
Niced 28 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
Yeah just playing with someone who throws fairly will will open your eyes to what pace to take into the shot, what to focus on etc. For example people who come from Ultimate background often throw the disc way too slow initially and as soon as they see the right pace, backswing, and the velocity to aim for it's common for them to add 50-100' in short order.

Balance and leverage are the most important things though. No sense going faster if the disc is slipping out of your hand because your arm isn't actually swinging it right.
might have to film myself throwing RHBH, believe it or not most of the guys in my group throw Forehand primarily.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 09-04-2019, 09:41 AM
Meillo's Avatar
Meillo Meillo is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Ulm, Germany
Years Playing: 3.1
Posts: 478
Niced 225 Times in 147 Posts
Default

Never a mistake to bring this thread up again. :-)


I'm not so much experiencing these big plateaus, but smaller ones. Some time ago I tried the deep flightplate grip (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=121557). It instantly gave me 10m more. Yesterday I re-watched Simon's form video. I took notice of the lateral positioning of the front foot. Placing it more to the left (for RHBH) gave me 5m more instantly.

What I like about these form improvements, is that they are no complex motions, no timing issues, no stuff in the hit second, but both of them are simple changes, easy to make, easy to check and done outside of the hit second.

Sure, this is only part of the distance secret, but never yet I gained more distance so easy.


For reference, I throw from a standstill/1-step and drive Valkyries, Eagles, Teebirds 90m (= 300') far on the field.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 09-04-2019, 11:18 AM
ballgolfconvert ballgolfconvert is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Years Playing: 36.1
Courses Played: 2
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 125
Niced 81 Times in 48 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meillo View Post
Never a mistake to bring this thread up again. :-)


I'm not so much experiencing these big plateaus, but smaller ones. Some time ago I tried the deep flightplate grip (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=121557). It instantly gave me 10m more. Yesterday I re-watched Simon's form video. I took notice of the lateral positioning of the front foot. Placing it more to the left (for RHBH) gave me 5m more instantly.

What I like about these form improvements, is that they are no complex motions, no timing issues, no stuff in the hit second, but both of them are simple changes, easy to make, easy to check and done outside of the hit second.

Sure, this is only part of the distance secret, but never yet I gained more distance so easy.


For reference, I throw from a standstill/1-step and drive Valkyries, Eagles, Teebirds 90m (= 300') far on the field.
Best video i ever watched. Thanks

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
 

  #80  
Old 10-28-2019, 05:49 PM
Tinkles Tinkles is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 42
Niced 22 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
-throw felt like flinging forearm at the target from the elbow, rather than using the shoulder

-does not feel like elbow is flinging forearm anymore…shoulder is doing the work
Can you elaborate a little bit more on what you mean with "shoulder is doing the work" please?

For context, I tend to not think of the throw as a "pull" but more of an opening and collapsing of the elbow angle and my primary focus when throwing is on keeping the angles in the right place for all the hinges (elbow, etc..) in the throw to work together. I start my walk up with a wide angle between chest and upper arm (hugging someone else) and feeling a loose but controlled elbow hinge. What works best for me is to almost feel like the upper arm is flung out in a controlled manner when I turn back, and then it naturally collapses in and fires out. In none of that is my shoulder doing work (at least in my mind) beyond holding my upper arm and elbow up high. I hyzerflip a pro wraith out close to 400' with a walkup (and maybe am just capped as a relative newcomer to the sport at 40+) but would love to break that barrier.

So I am trying to understand this concept of the shoulder doing the work better to see if there is something I'm missing or not quite understanding.

TIA
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Distance plateaus... which one is most difficult to overcome? Twmccoy Technique & Strategy 34 01-25-2018 08:00 PM
The Psychology of Learning Plateaus HyzerUniBomber Technique & Strategy 8 01-29-2014 06:05 PM
Pushing through plateaus bnbanbury Technique & Strategy 10 05-16-2013 01:02 PM
Growing Pains and Plateaus UFO51 Technique & Strategy 35 02-23-2012 09:02 AM
Breaking out of Plateaus djjeremiahj Technique & Strategy 9 02-15-2011 04:52 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.