Old 08-23-2018, 01:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 530 Times in 225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocNasty View Post
When pulling through the power point and spinning on the axis. Do you suggest rotation off the heel or toes? I have heard both and honestly catch myself doing both ways sometimes. Never noticed it causing any issues although I am sure sticking with one or the other would help with consistentsy.
Spinning through on the heel is easier on the knees.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2018, 01:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,597 Times in 1,648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocNasty View Post
When pulling through the power point and spinning on the axis. Do you suggest rotation off the heel or toes? I have heard both and honestly catch myself doing both ways sometimes. Never noticed it causing any issues although I am sure sticking with one or the other would help with consistentsy.
Most rotate through the heel. It just happens though with balance. If you look at super slow motion of top pro's they extend the leg and clear the hip, and on lower power shots it's kind of the whole foot foot that is pressured at this point with the toes lifting slightly, and the outside of the shoe drags. On high power shots it seems to be more through the heel. You're not trying to change it though, it just looks different.

This is a result of your balance though. If you are spinning on your toes you may be pushing your body around/in front of the brace? But actually pressuring the toes feels scary to my for my knee.

For example here's McBeth low power, vs. high power in the second clip at 0:36. Wysocki at the beginning is very heel emphasized though.

Old 05-04-2019, 05:48 PM

Years Playing: 32.9
Courses Played: 14
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 28 Times in 14 Posts

I feel kind of silly because I don't fit under any of your categories because I'm only throwing putters 190ft max and maybe my fairway drivers 225ft max on a great throw. I have made no progress in the last 3 seasons either even after watching numerous youtube videos on form and technique.

What should I be focusing on doing right now in my practices?

My current bag is a Leopard 3, a Diamond, and a Teebird for my drivers, my mids are a Z plastic Buzzz and a Z plastic BuzzzOS, my putters are Zero Hard Daggers and Lucid Wardens.

The reason I have two different putter molds is for super tight short fairways I can throw the Warden dead straight whereas the Daggers will fade to the left too much and jump off the fairway if its narrow enough.

I have been experimenting with the Luna and Aviars just to see if I can get those to perform better in the wind better then the others.
Old 05-04-2019, 06:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 74
Niced 149 Times in 111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragmanXL View Post
What should I be focusing on doing right now in my practices?
Practice with someone who knows how to throw and can teach you. It is hard to learn through just reading forums and posts on technique. Someone teaching you will always be much better. If that person isn't accessible then posting videos in the technique section is as close as you can get.

Niced: (2)
Old 05-04-2019, 07:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,597 Times in 1,648 Posts

Yeah just playing with someone who throws fairly will will open your eyes to what pace to take into the shot, what to focus on etc. For example people who come from Ultimate background often throw the disc way too slow initially and as soon as they see the right pace, backswing, and the velocity to aim for it's common for them to add 50-100' in short order.

Balance and leverage are the most important things though. No sense going faster if the disc is slipping out of your hand because your arm isn't actually swinging it right.

Old 05-04-2019, 08:40 PM

I guess the way to go for me would be throwing strictly mid ranges and putters for now then. If I would chose a driver at this point I guess stick with that Star Leopard 3 or a Gold Line Diamond and my Metal Flake Teebird, I just got the Leopard 3 and Teebird a few weeks ago.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
Yeah just playing with someone who throws fairly will will open your eyes to what pace to take into the shot, what to focus on etc. For example people who come from Ultimate background often throw the disc way too slow initially and as soon as they see the right pace, backswing, and the velocity to aim for it's common for them to add 50-100' in short order.

Balance and leverage are the most important things though. No sense going faster if the disc is slipping out of your hand because your arm isn't actually swinging it right.
might have to film myself throwing RHBH, believe it or not most of the guys in my group throw Forehand primarily.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-04-2019, 09:41 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Niced 225 Times in 147 Posts

Never a mistake to bring this thread up again. :-)

I'm not so much experiencing these big plateaus, but smaller ones. Some time ago I tried the deep flightplate grip (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=121557). It instantly gave me 10m more. Yesterday I re-watched Simon's form video. I took notice of the lateral positioning of the front foot. Placing it more to the left (for RHBH) gave me 5m more instantly.

What I like about these form improvements, is that they are no complex motions, no timing issues, no stuff in the hit second, but both of them are simple changes, easy to make, easy to check and done outside of the hit second.

Sure, this is only part of the distance secret, but never yet I gained more distance so easy.

For reference, I throw from a standstill/1-step and drive Valkyries, Eagles, Teebirds 90m (= 300') far on the field.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-04-2019, 11:18 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 36.1
Courses Played: 2
Niced 81 Times in 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meillo View Post
Never a mistake to bring this thread up again. :-)

I'm not so much experiencing these big plateaus, but smaller ones. Some time ago I tried the deep flightplate grip (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=121557). It instantly gave me 10m more. Yesterday I re-watched Simon's form video. I took notice of the lateral positioning of the front foot. Placing it more to the left (for RHBH) gave me 5m more instantly.

What I like about these form improvements, is that they are no complex motions, no timing issues, no stuff in the hit second, but both of them are simple changes, easy to make, easy to check and done outside of the hit second.

Sure, this is only part of the distance secret, but never yet I gained more distance so easy.

For reference, I throw from a standstill/1-step and drive Valkyries, Eagles, Teebirds 90m (= 300') far on the field.
Best video i ever watched. Thanks

Old 10-28-2019, 05:49 PM

Niced 22 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
-throw felt like flinging forearm at the target from the elbow, rather than using the shoulder

-does not feel like elbow is flinging forearm anymore…shoulder is doing the work
Can you elaborate a little bit more on what you mean with "shoulder is doing the work" please?

For context, I tend to not think of the throw as a "pull" but more of an opening and collapsing of the elbow angle and my primary focus when throwing is on keeping the angles in the right place for all the hinges (elbow, etc..) in the throw to work together. I start my walk up with a wide angle between chest and upper arm (hugging someone else) and feeling a loose but controlled elbow hinge. What works best for me is to almost feel like the upper arm is flung out in a controlled manner when I turn back, and then it naturally collapses in and fires out. In none of that is my shoulder doing work (at least in my mind) beyond holding my upper arm and elbow up high. I hyzerflip a pro wraith out close to 400' with a walkup (and maybe am just capped as a relative newcomer to the sport at 40+) but would love to break that barrier.

So I am trying to understand this concept of the shoulder doing the work better to see if there is something I'm missing or not quite understanding.

TIA