Old 03-12-2018, 08:30 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default First Card at 1018 Memorial Final Round

I have been watching PDGA Tournament streams for almost a year now. As a novice player I saw something about Round 4 of this year's Memorial that raised a question in my mind. At the end of three rounds Paul McBeth and James Conrad were tied for fourth at -27. Being pretty new to this sport I wondered how they determined which of the two players would go to the first card for round four. I figured it would probably be Paul McBeth because, in my view, that would have been a more "star-studded" (i.e. entertaining) card to follow or be streamed.

Obviously there are factors at play that I don't understand. Can someone enlighten me?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2018, 08:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,674 Times in 967 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by russsipe View Post
I have been watching PDGA Tournament streams for almost a year now. As a novice player I saw something about Round 4 of this year's Memorial that raised a question in my mind. At the end of three rounds Paul McBeth and James Conrad were tied for fourth at -27. Being pretty new to this sport I wondered how they determined which of the two players would go to the first card for round four. I figured it would probably be Paul McBeth because, in my view, that would have been a more "star-studded" (i.e. entertaining) card to follow or be streamed.

Obviously there are factors at play that I don't understand. Can someone enlighten me?
It goes by who shot the best round. Conrad shot a 48 in the 3rd round and Paul was 50.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:27 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
It goes by who shot the best round. Conrad shot a 48 in the 3rd round and Paul was 50.
Ah! That's logical. Thanks for the explanation.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by russsipe View Post
Ah! That's logical. Thanks for the explanation.
No problem. Btw, if they would have had the same scores thru 3 rounds, whoever has the lower PDGA membership number would be put on the lead card.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:18 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 29
Niced 122 Times in 77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
No problem. Btw, if they would have had the same scores thru 3 rounds, whoever has the lower PDGA membership number would be put on the lead card.
Is that how they determine who starts the tourney?
Old 03-13-2018, 09:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by lines View Post
Is that how they determine who starts the tourney?
https://www.pdga.com/rules/competition-manual/106
Quote:
B. All players within a division should be grouped for the first round via one of the following methods:

1. Random grouping; players within a division may be randomly grouped for the first round.

2. Player Rating grouping; players within a division may be grouped by player rating to set first round groups. Highest rated player starting on the lowest number hole, the second highest rated player starting on the following hole, etc. This process would continue until all starting holes have been filled. For example, a division of 12 players across 3 holes set by the ranking of their ratings would be:
Hole 1: Players 1, 4, 7, and 10
Hole 2: Players 2, 5, 8, and 11
Hole 3: Players 3, 6, 9, and 12

3. In the case of a division that is large enough to be in multiple pools or sections, the players should be split by rating (example: 72 highest ratings in Pool A and 72 lowest ratings in Pool B) and then randomized within each pool for the first round.

4. C-Tier events have the option to randomly mix divisions for groupings (first round ONLY) with the exception that Junior II - Junior VI divisional players should only be mixed with other players from those same divisions

Old 03-13-2018, 11:13 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1
Courses Played: 4
Niced 166 Times in 88 Posts

At the Memorial because it was the DGPT, i guess, the set up was a little different I remember Dodge describing it something like this...

Feature 1
Points Leader - Wysocki
Previous Champ - McBeth
Presenting Sponsor Player - Doss
Fan Vote - Paiju

Feature 2 and 3 were done the same way. With Next Previous champs, a presenting sponsor and a fan vote.