Old 09-08-2019, 01:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 314
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,267 Times in 1,122 Posts

I can just see foot golf enthusiasts geeking out the way plastic fondlers do. A few friends checking out the local pro shop before a round...

*cue soft focus for hazy dream sequence*

Quote:
Player A: "Hey, check out the new release from Adidas. Too bad they only have it in 450g... I'd be all over it if they had one the 420-430g range."

Player B: "Yeah, they're alright, but a bit too lively for my taste. Those tend to bounce and roll pretty far from where they land, so you hardly ever get the lie you planned on. I prefer one that's stays closer to where it hits the ground, so you can plan your next shot better."

Player C: "Yo, guys! Check out how this one feels. No, not like that, dude.
You really need to take your shoes and socks off to see how it feels coming of your instep."
And FWIW... I'd much rather be called a "Plastic Fondler" than a "Ball Fondler" any day... but that's just me.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 09-08-2019 at 01:34 PM.

Old 09-08-2019, 01:58 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 383 Times in 151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscJunkie View Post
I grew up in front of a municipal golf course in the 70's.
Membership was <$20 month for the family, unlimited play.
Started playing golf again in the 80's, and the yearly fee for a (different but similar) municipal course was $350/yr for the family, unlimited play.
If I wanted to play now, it would be several thousand per year, plus greens fees every time I played. Most private courses around here are $30-60 per round, a little less in the off-season.
My point is, golf has changed over the years, generally, into even more elitist and expensive than in the past.
It's not something that I want to get back into, that's why I play DG.
How much of that municipal bargain was underwritten w/taxpayer money and how much money is being contributed now? I have no investment in golf but the rising price to play has to be tied, in part, to loss of affordable municipal options, and the lack of that investment is tied to government austerity.

Granted, I’m not going to do research in this, so I don’t have #thedata, but I suspect a decline in tax contributions is likely true. Having grown up playing ball golf in Louisville, KY, I was awash in an abundance of affordable municipal options but didn’t really understand that until I moved away. The junior summer pass was ridiculously, stupidly cheap.

The Inside Line episode on Iron Hill made apparent the degree to which the course is almost exclusively maintained by volunteers. I don’t see that happening at most ball golf courses for many reasons including the higher degree of expertise needed (grass lengths, chemicals, green management, watering, etc.). So when the funding lessens and prices increase, people find other things to do, as you point out.

Niced: (1)