Old 10-16-2019, 04:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,362 Times in 1,824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
Rating went from 840s to almost 900 in his first year... seems pretty serious to me.
I think hamp was referring to bolfconvert, not Weema.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 10-16-2019, 04:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 1,983 Times in 470 Posts

Jees, get over it people. Sub 900 rated players can still play in Open in 99.9% of other events. There are literally less than 25 events they can't play in.

The purpose of the these events is high level competition. Scrubbing out the players who have the potential to bring the event to a screeching halt, have NO chance at cash, and can seriously affect other players isn't a bad thing. Build a bridge and get over it.

I have not heard one good reason why we SHOULD allow them to play. If the pros who play the event don't mind that there are 2 or 3 less players in their pool bumping up the purse (which won't happen, the events will fill up) then there is no reason that anyone on this board needs to complain.

As the kids say these days, if you want to play "git gud". (ok, kids probably don't say that anymore cause I am old).

Old 10-16-2019, 05:08 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 176 Times in 92 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvphobic View Post
Jees, get over it people. Sub 900 rated players can still play in Open in 99.9% of other events. There are literally less than 25 events they can't play in.

The purpose of the these events is high level competition. Scrubbing out the players who have the potential to bring the event to a screeching halt, have NO chance at cash, and can seriously affect other players isn't a bad thing. Build a bridge and get over it.

I have not heard one good reason why we SHOULD allow them to play. If the pros who play the event don't mind that there are 2 or 3 less players in their pool bumping up the purse (which won't happen, the events will fill up) then there is no reason that anyone on this board needs to complain.

As the kids say these days, if you want to play "git gud". (ok, kids probably don't say that anymore cause I am old).
completely agreed. and kids do still say that, although more often they say things like "kill yourself" or "uninstall"

Old 10-16-2019, 05:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 126
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 906 Times in 400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
Seriously, finishing ahead someone who withdrew is not considered beating them. They were all well well ahead of Weema when they withdrew. he beat no one. Just as he has beat no one in any of the events he has played this year. Last in every event by a large margin except for people that withdrew.
A tournament is not only a test of skill, but also a battle of attrition. You need to play within your physical limits to avoid injury, and you need the mental fortitude to push through struggles and finish. Sometimes that means checking your ego after a tough hole, or even an entire tough round.

My heart goes out to those 8 players that DNF'ed. For those that couldn't continue due to injury, that's a tough break that nobody ever wants to see. And for any that simply didn't want to keep playing due to frustration...well, that's their business. But there's no way you can say any of those players beat Weema in the tournament, or tied him. (Granted, they all beat him in the first round. Pretty soundly. But not for the #overall tournament.)

Philosophically, everyone may not see the "battle of attrition" the same way I do. But they don't have to, because more importantly:

IT'S RIGHT THERE ON THE PDGA RESULTS PAGE!

Weema in 188th place, then a 4 way tie for 189th, then another 4 way for 193rd. Lloyd took the punishment, came back for more, and finished 72 holes before he (unsurprisingly) missed the cut. And as such, he's listed in the official results as placing better than the eight players that DNF'ed.

It's a pretty obvious statement of fact. Any claim to the contrary is unbelievably asinine.

(Unless you have a personal definition where "beating" someone means finishing worse than them in the official tournament results. And in that case: Weema "beat" 187 players at Worlds )

Niced: (2)
Old 10-16-2019, 05:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.6
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,746 Times in 566 Posts

First World's came for the old guys, and I did not speak out-
Because I was not an old guy

Then they came for the sub-900 players, and I did not speak out-
Because I'm not sub-900

Old 10-16-2019, 05:43 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 61
Niced 141 Times in 44 Posts

Dom 900

Last edited by puck'n'disc5; 10-16-2019 at 05:45 PM.
Old 10-16-2019, 05:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.6
Courses Played: 194
Niced 143 Times in 80 Posts

I wonder how many views Jomez missed out on by not following this guy for just one round....

Old 10-16-2019, 05:52 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 28
Niced 39 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicRib View Post
I wonder how many views Jomez missed out on by not following this guy for just one round....
For real. Id play a round with him. Anyone that can get so many people up in arms probably has SOMETHING interesting to say.

Niced: (3)
Old 10-16-2019, 06:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 87
Niced 1,825 Times in 742 Posts

This thread...wow

Old 10-16-2019, 07:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 33
Niced 1,207 Times in 563 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvphobic View Post

But the events weren't filling right?

That's how he got in if I'm correct.

He wasn't taking a place from anyone else.

With this rule, they can no longer call it the Open Division.

Plus there are plenty of 950 rated guys in MPO that have no chance of cashing in these big events.

Why allow them to play? They could just as easily spend a round hacking through the woods and slowing down play.