Old 10-30-2019, 11:11 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 176 Times in 92 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowBot View Post
Recently at PDGA headquarters...

as I've said before: don't get so caught up on names

maybe you guys could turn your energy towards telling the NHL that they have to change their name because there are 7 Canadian teams
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 10-30-2019, 11:12 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.5
Courses Played: 146
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 348 Times in 166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigles View Post
Elite events should be for the elite. If your rating is not 4-digit you are not in the elite.

That would mean we need a "MPE" category though, "Mixed professional elite".
LVC:
64 > 1000
92 < 1000

GBO:
52 > 1000
92 < 1000

MC:
51 > 1000
30 < 1000

BSF:
59 > 1000
21 < 1000

DDGC:
30 > 1000
42 < 1000

HoF:
46 > 1000
42 < 1000

Old 10-30-2019, 01:18 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 36
Courses Played: 2
Niced 81 Times in 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallpaul View Post
As a person, like 3Putt who has been involved in parks and rec for 35 years now, and have run privatized leagues for 10 years. Reserving courses will require fees that league members will have to pay. I much prefer the live and let live scenario.
We pay no fees at all for reserving our courses.
Old 10-30-2019, 01:22 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 126
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 903 Times in 400 Posts

This conversation about where to draw the line is so backwards. 900? 950? 1000? Hey, here's an option: DON'T DRAW A LINE.

Any performance benchmark that you set as a threshold for tournament entrance is arbitrary. Really, is an 899 rated player that different from a 900 rated player? Or 949 from 950? That's the sort of trivial distinction being made. Someone winds up getting hosed. Where you set the cusp of qualification only decides who in particular is hung out to dry.

But you don't even have to cross that bridge if you stop and realize that MPO has always been -- and still should be -- an unrestricted division. Why would you abandon that simple premise? Let any and all competition come (until no more spots remain in the tournament, of course) and at the end of it all, the best score wins.

That's what makes MPO great, in my opinion. The unfettered elegance of open competition. Or more correctly, that's what made the division great, because in the future MP"O" will be a misnomer at our top events.

Old 10-30-2019, 01:39 PM
Double Eagle Member

So to the questioners, yes I do really care about "open"-ness. Not just in name, but more importantly in the spirit of competition.

And to be clear: I'm 100% in favor of tired registration. If Lloyd Weema doesn't get a spot because a herd of much better players got to register first, that's fine. But if you get through every tier of registration and there are still spots available, and Weema wants to throw his hat in the ring, why not let him?

Old 10-30-2019, 02:41 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 36
Courses Played: 2
Niced 81 Times in 48 Posts

Quote:
So to the questioners, yes I do really care about "open"-ness. Not just in name, but more importantly in the spirit of competition.

And to be clear: I'm 100% in favor of tired registration. If Lloyd Weema doesn't get a spot because a herd of much better players got to register first, that's fine. But if you get through every tier of registration and there are still spots available, and Weema wants to throw his hat in the ring, why not let him?
Open doesn't mean what you think it does. Most sports have Open tournaments which are actually only Open to certain caliber of players. I believe Open in disc golf means open to all sexes.

Old 10-30-2019, 02:51 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
Open doesn't mean what you think it does.
***double checks dictionary***
Yes it does.

Quote:
Most sports have Open tournaments which are actually only Open to certain caliber of players.
Lol, great point.
Other sports have deceptively named events and divisions, we should be just like them!

Color me unimpressed.

Old 10-30-2019, 02:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 87
Niced 1,807 Times in 740 Posts

Quote:
Lol, great point.
Other sports have deceptively named events and divisions, we should be just like them!

Color me unimpressed.
Yeah, I have never understood this need to emulate what everyone else does - especially ball golf seeing how many golf courses are closing at an astonishing rate. Just because that's what they do doesn't mean that's what is best for disc golf.

Old 10-30-2019, 03:07 PM

Courses Played: 17
Niced 15 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:

I am fine with the PDGA's new rule as it only applies to top level competitions out there and only affects a few people. As I stated before, Simon Lizotte can't register for the FPO in his next competition and that states it's an "Open" division.

If one is in favor of tiered registration for an Open division, isn't that a form of regulation as who can play? Granted it isn't as specific as a PDGA rating, but it can have the same affect if the top rated players fill up the available spots.

I believe someone stated that if a parent signed up their four year old child to play at the Worlds in the MPO event, should they be able to do that? I would think most people would agree they shouldn't be allowed. If that's the case, then Open doesn't always mean Open.

Old 10-30-2019, 03:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,830 Times in 1,580 Posts

Quote:
Open doesn't mean what you think it does. Most sports have Open tournaments which are actually only Open to certain caliber of players. I believe Open in disc golf means open to all sexes.
That's what the "Mixed" means in MPO, and why there is a Female Pro Open that quite obviously excludes males. Open is intended to imply no restrictions for age and until recently, skill as well. Just look at the rest of the divisions and their shorthand code...MP40 = restricted to 40 year olds and older, etc.

As I've argued before, the need to restrict the Open division for so-called elite players (no matter where the line is drawn) is extremely premature. There simply aren't enough players of appropriate caliber nor enough money in the purses to sustain an exclusive tour. The less than elite players are necessary to not only supply some of the purse via their entry fees, but also to pad out the field so the number of paid places at the top assures most of the elite/touring players the opportunity to cash consistently.

If the tour were to be restricted to some sort of tour card holders (we do have such a thing already), and those fields only paid a maximum of 50% of the field, we'd have a lot fewer players cashing each week. Currently, no one is winning enough in one weekend (even finishing 1st) that they can afford to stay on the road for more than a month or so without cashing again. If players aren't winning enough to stay on tour, the field's only going to atrophy more to the point where there's no one left. Hence the need for the sub-1000 (and sub-950 and frankly sub-900) players to fill the fields and create more cashing opportunities.

We need to reach a critical mass of total players and/or a critical mass of outside sponsorship before we can have a sustainable tour exclusive to the best players in the game.