Old 10-31-2019, 12:45 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 27
Niced 542 Times in 223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojorooks View Post
This I don't understand. Looking at it as 'losing' the money sounds pretty depressing. I think of it as money spent as a privilege to play in a tournament as opposed to lost gambling or something.
Preach.

I did a survey with our players to see what they actually turned up to tournaments for.

I was so gladdened by the results, the highest positive answers by far were "because competitions are fun" "getting PDGA ratings" and "because I like playing"

Winning money/cash/merch was one of the least important considerations for players to play. Now, TBF, this is really just a series of am events as we don't have enough good players over here to have a real pro scene but it was still really refreshing to see that most UK based players play in tournaments because they just want to play and have fun.

Whining that someone better than you comes along and wins the only division available to them is just odd.
Sponsored Links

Old 10-31-2019, 12:59 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 30.6
Courses Played: 145
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 256 Times in 115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
I think the original point about the MA40 comment, is that those guys aren't playing MP40?
I interpreted his sentence to mean some MA40 and MA50 players were too talented to play in age-protected divisions and should instead be playing regular Am-1. He said they "refuse to play advanced" if I paraphrased from memory correctly.
Old 10-31-2019, 01:12 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 24
Niced 523 Times in 298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
I interpreted his sentence to mean some MA40 and MA50 players were too talented to play in age-protected divisions and should instead be playing regular Am-1. He said they "refuse to play advanced" if I paraphrased from memory correctly.
I think both arguments are out there. Either way I don't get it, especially when the comment is about a group of guys playing MA40. We have a group here and I love playing with and against them. In that group are guys that range from just turned 40 to a guy that is low 50's. Some play a LOT of tournaments, others like me only play 2 or 3 a year. We like each other, we get along, we have fun, and someone will win. Its a semi-local group a few of them I only see at tournaments, some I rarely see but sometimes casually and a few I play with regularly. I don't see why any or all of this group should feel pressure to play in a different division. None are super serious but all like to work on their game. Merch has nothing to do with enjoyment of winning.
One guy I have played against played AM1 in all of the local tournaments, maybe because he was winning MA40 and wanted to challenge himself more, or I think it was for more points in a larger field for Am worlds where he competed in MA40. But yeah... none of the other guys had a goal like Am worlds we are just trying to score the best we can when we play. Having a 910 rated guy younger than me tell me I should be playing AM1 or MP40 because of a win in MA40 is silly to me.
Old 10-31-2019, 01:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 53
Niced 4,384 Times in 2,315 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by filobedo View Post
??? Is this a serious question? Try playing MA40 or MA50 in SC. SC is loaded with baggers in those divisions who refuse to play against players with the same skill level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
I think you need some ginkoba memory formula...
Old 10-31-2019, 01:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 53
Niced 4,384 Times in 2,315 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putt for D'oh View Post
Having a 910 rated guy younger than me tell me I should be playing AM1 or MP40 because of a win in MA40 is silly to me.
In my comment, I thought I made it clear that this isn't about " a win "...
Old 10-31-2019, 02:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 19
Niced 992 Times in 582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putt for D'oh View Post
Funny no matter how many threads you are told that it’s possible to be older, and good, and want to play with others the same age your still don’t believe it and think it’s about the merch.

To each his own but your assumptions about other people’s motivations are wrong.
My wording of "refuse" to play was wrong. I should have said "prefer to play". And while I certainly respect anyone's opinion that I am wrong, I've seen too many tournaments where there will be a few 940,950 rated guys playing against a field of much lower rated players. While I would hope winning more plastic is not their main motivation, but if it's just the hunt for more ego wins, I would hope that is not the case either. And if it's truly about playing competitive disc golf why wouldn't they play in advanced? Hey.. if you think beating a bunch of low rated old guys (or easily coming in 1st-5th) is a fun day of paid pdga disc golf, more power to you. While I personally have beaten much higher rated old guys several times, if I ever get past 935 I am moving straight to advanced regardless of my age. I see no personal satisfaction playing in a division where I am in the minority having an advanced rating and the majority is rec or less.
Old 10-31-2019, 02:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by lines View Post
Sexton used to show up to our putt nights to collect lunch money and people gladly handed it over. People pay money at some events to be on cards with these pros.
Heck yah! I consider it like getting lessons, sometimes much cheaper.
Old 10-31-2019, 02:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Third, run ratings based leagues with cash payouts in the higher or all divisions. This is allowed even in PDGA leagues without ams losing their am status since payouts are not reported.
Interesting, never knew that. Thank you.
Old 10-31-2019, 02:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsman View Post
If you are one of those fringe pros that is complaining that better pros are taking your money then you are probably delusional in the first place. Being a fringe pro my whole career, there has never been a time where I wouldnt play an event because the competition was too good.

Its pretty simple, if you dont want to get beat then get better.
The op should be happy he doesn't live in Texas where a very active pro by the name of Emerson Keith could show up at any time and crush your chance of winning your local c-tier.

Niced: (2)

Old 10-31-2019, 02:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHearChains View Post
Funny "its not about the merch" but no one is mentioning MP40 or MP50. If it's not about the merch, more oldsters would play in those.
yes...Yes...YES.