Old 11-01-2019, 10:10 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 101
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 145 Times in 76 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
If it's sitting on a store rack, it's already sold and the player is already getting the check.....
While that is true...it's a pretty loose interpretation around your previous statement.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2019, 10:34 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 31
Niced 746 Times in 362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmiller View Post
...and BBQ sauce, preferably Sweet Baby Ray’s. The best pizza topping combination, AND connects back to BBQ.
The worst mass produced BBQ sauce in the US. Seems to be something northerners like

Old 11-01-2019, 10:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 132
Niced 605 Times in 287 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoobyPls View Post
The worst mass produced BBQ sauce in the US. Seems to be something northerners like
Possibly, but it's still 5 steps up from Open Pit
Old 11-01-2019, 10:41 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 16 Times in 6 Posts

There is also an understated "trickle down effect" on hot sponsored discs. It is true that only a very small fraction of DG players pay any attention to the pro circuit and what discs are being used by what player, a refrain often repeated on these threads. However, on the local courses all it takes is one or two players, who are usually pretty serious ones, who do follow this stuff, try the hot new sponsored disc, and then at local leagues, casual rounds its usage can really proliferate simply because John Q Local, the 980 rated league player, debuts the disc, likes it, and word spreads and 6 months later said disc is in a lot of casual bags.

Niced: (2)
Old 11-01-2019, 11:18 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 6
Niced 531 Times in 287 Posts

Quote:
If it's sitting on a store rack, it's already sold and the player is already getting the check.....
While this is true, if the retail store doesn't sell them, are they ever going to restock them? So while that pro might have gotten one check, what's the second one gonna look like? Or how long before they see a second one?
Old 11-01-2019, 11:36 AM

Niced 10 Times in 5 Posts

back to talk about using JC instead of Jordan Castro. I'm not sorry...but I won't do it again. I see how things roll around here.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:43 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 98
Niced 47 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post
While this is true, if the retail store doesn't sell them, are they ever going to restock them? So while that pro might have gotten one check, what's the second one gonna look like? Or how long before they see a second one?
I agree with you 100%. At my local dg store, which sees a TON of traffic, with the exception of the McBeths, Sexton FB, Cloud Breakers etc, tour series discs just do not sell consistently.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:44 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 98
Niced 47 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
I've seen people hint he either owns or is a part of FadePDGA on facebook. Would be funny if that's his new "sponsor". lol..
that would be very funny.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-01-2019, 11:59 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 24
Niced 521 Times in 298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBooM View Post
There is also an understated "trickle down effect" on hot sponsored discs. It is true that only a very small fraction of DG players pay any attention to the pro circuit and what discs are being used by what player, a refrain often repeated on these threads. However, on the local courses all it takes is one or two players, who are usually pretty serious ones, who do follow this stuff, try the hot new sponsored disc, and then at local leagues, casual rounds its usage can really proliferate simply because John Q Local, the 980 rated league player, debuts the disc, likes it, and word spreads and 6 months later said disc is in a lot of casual bags.
... -ish... I think more of a trickle up? or just fertilizer spread.

Here the guys buying up and bringing attention to tour discs are not the 980 league player. most of those guys have their discs, old discs and they pay zero attention to whats new on the market and can't be arsed to keep up with the names of discs from manufacturers they don't know.

The guys spending the money are super fans, watch a ton of DG on youtube and spend money like mad. For every $1 your "average" disc golfer spends on discs they question if they should buy there area small handful of people out there buying 3 for 4 or 5 more discs. They have the new first runs, they have the proto-types, and not just one but will talk about their throwers, their wall hangers and the 3 in plastic bags in the tubs, and they are doing this with every new disc with a name on it that comes out. Sometimes these guys strike gold and it migrates around and people buy more, but I believe the vast majority of most tour discs go to a small handful of over buyers.

On the note of best selling discs from someone you might not expect? I wonder about the Jen Allen Teebird. I know she had some injury early season but they sell, I see a lot of them around and she didn't even tour this year. As people said though sometimes players don't sell discs, the discs that sell are going to sell regardless of the name.

Old 11-01-2019, 12:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,166 Times in 671 Posts

Quote:
So you don't think that Tim Barham doesn't sell a lot of Cranks? Austin Turner Forces? Hannah Leatherman Terns? Brinster Teebirds?
I have seen exactly 1 Brinster TeeBird in the wild; I have never seen any of the rest. It is fair to say that I also don't see Cranks or Forces in the wild period. Lots of Comets though.
Closed Thread