Old 11-01-2019, 11:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 314
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,283 Times in 1,128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellsbranch250 View Post
I wish that if someone's thumb-down count was lower than their thumb-up count, that their reviews wouldn't get factored into the course rating. or perhaps use unique voter thumb ups vs unique voter thumb downs.
I'm of the opinion that any review that hits manages to get 10 thumbs, and 8 of them are gets trashed. That's a pretty overwhelming majority, and provides plenty of space for different minded reviews (that will almost certainly get their share of negative votes, but will also receive some positives... hence should never get too close to 80% unhelpful) to survive.

It's not easy to collect 10 votes on a review for a course that's not well known.
However, if you can manage that feat and 8 of them say a review isn't helpful... obviously, that review isn't helpful, and people have spoken.

That doesn't necessarily mean the reviewer hasn't written (or can't write) a helpful review.
I don't see why each review shouldn't be considered individually, regardless of the member that wrote it. I don't care if you're a Diamond TR, Tim, or someone who created their account that day. If you write a bunch of meaningless tripe, and 8/10 people think it holds no merit, off to the compost heap with it.

It's quite possible to write funny, entertaining reviews that say something. But if all you want to is get laughs, do it in the forums.

/rant about reviews that are as useless as GoreTex Flip-Flops
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 11-02-2019, 04:15 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12
Courses Played: 58
Niced 246 Times in 147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscGolfCraig View Post
It's a bad review when taken in context of his other review from the same day for Bad Rock Creek. That course has a 4.31 rating w/ 16 reviews. His comments for this seemingly great/near elite-level course (based on its rating) are:

Cons: Nothing about this course "pops" out at you. Fairly mundane
Other Thoughts: Decent enough course to practice on. Not too difficult and not too easy.

So an exceptional course he calls 'fairly mundane.' As for the course he rates a 5.0, his observations include 'Very clean.' 'Baskets brand new.' 'No graffiti or anything either.' Seems like someone you wouldn't want to trust for a recommendation for anything.
I guess it's a new style, where you give bonus points for not having bad things. Like no Graffiti, used condoms or nude pictures of Slim Pickens lying about... or "There were not dead animals all over the place as far as I could tell"

Old 11-02-2019, 07:49 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 44.6
Courses Played: 193
Niced 514 Times in 254 Posts

He (skylab) lashed out and gave me a thumb down and I hadn't even given him one (yet).
Old 11-02-2019, 09:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 87
Niced 1,829 Times in 745 Posts

Check out Skylab's voting record lol:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=88708

One thumb up and 22 down and he's whining that he's getting a bunch of thumb downs. Hilarious.

Also hilarious...DGCR rating is 1053. Riiiiiiiggghhht.

Old 11-02-2019, 10:25 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 326
Niced 255 Times in 109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
I'm of the opinion that any review that hits manages to get 10 thumbs, and 8 of them are gets trashed. That's a pretty overwhelming majority, and provides plenty of space for different minded reviews (that will almost certainly get their share of negative votes, but will also receive some positives... hence should never get too close to 80% unhelpful) to survive.
That doesn't work because the locals get upset over perceived low ratings. What happens when someone gives Flip City 'only' a 3.5 or 4.0 in a well-constructed review? We know that local scene, and others as well, don't react too kindly.
Old 11-02-2019, 11:04 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12
Courses Played: 58
Niced 246 Times in 147 Posts

Quote:
That doesn't work because the locals get upset over perceived low ratings. What happens when someone gives Flip City 'only' a 3.5 or 4.0 in a well-constructed review? We know that local scene, and others as well, don't react too kindly.
That reminds me of Dave242 giving both Flip and Ildlewild 4 disc ratings. I remember title for the Idlewild review " Ever get beat up by your sister?" or something like that.

Old 11-02-2019, 02:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Yeah the contrarian review will almost always get some unhelpful votes... comes with the turf. But will a well thought out review get 4 negs for every positive? I honestly don't think so.

I believe enough of us read reviews and vote based on the content, to keep those reviews above the 20% threshold.

Old 11-02-2019, 02:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Contrarian reviews almost always get a lot of negative votes... comes with the turf. But 4 negs for every positive vote? I doubt it. Seems enough of us read reviews and vote based on content, to keep well thought out reviews above the 20% threshold so they stick around.

I think it's a moot point anyway. We've had this discussion ad nauseum, with several proposed "solutions," each with pros and cons. Apparently, Tim doesn't think any of them have pros that outweigh the cons, or he's to busy working on other, more functional changes. At this point, I honestly don't expect anything to change.

When it comes down to it, you can't take what everyone says at face value (true outside of DGCR, as well). There's no substitute for figuring out whose opinions you can count on and whose you can't.
Old 11-02-2019, 05:48 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 32.6
Courses Played: 222
Niced 20 Times in 14 Posts

But it doesn't have graffiti..............

Old 11-02-2019, 06:04 PM
* Ace Member *

No grafitti = 3.5
No trash = 4.0
No used rubbers = 4.5
Close enough to get completely inebriated and walk home = 5.0