#111  
Old 11-02-2019, 03:26 AM
Emoney's Avatar
Emoney Emoney is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 71
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,004
Niced 276 Times in 163 Posts
Default

I remeber Feldberg running a tourney in arizona. So he was the TD. He did not have his name listed as a open player participant leading up to it but...u guessed it...played in the tourney and won.
Also he paid out Ams in his sponsored plastic/swag.
Idk. That experience just felt dirty.

Im not saying he did anything wrong. I just had a gross feeling about the whole thing.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 11-02-2019, 06:39 AM
Keller's Avatar
Keller Keller is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Above ground
Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,916
Niced 1,611 Times in 713 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey_Jim View Post
I love this thread
Happy now?
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 11-02-2019, 07:25 AM
Horsman's Avatar
Horsman Horsman is offline
Pandamonium Discs
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 170
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,311
Niced 728 Times in 333 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoney View Post
I remeber Feldberg running a tourney in arizona. So he was the TD. He did not have his name listed as a open player participant leading up to it but...u guessed it...played in the tourney and won.
Also he paid out Ams in his sponsored plastic/swag.
Idk. That experience just felt dirty.

Im not saying he did anything wrong. I just had a gross feeling about the whole thing.
Yea, we have a TD in WI who has done something similar to this a few times. He will run an event with added cash and if no one signs up for pro masters then he will just play pro masters and take a cut of the added cash.
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 11-02-2019, 10:29 AM
DiscJunkie's Avatar
DiscJunkie DiscJunkie is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Wilmington, NC
Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 4,488
Niced 513 Times in 212 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoney View Post
I remeber Feldberg running a tourney in arizona. So he was the TD. He did not have his name listed as a open player participant leading up to it but...u guessed it...played in the tourney and won.
Also he paid out Ams in his sponsored plastic/swag.
Idk. That experience just felt dirty.

Im not saying he did anything wrong. I just had a gross feeling about the whole thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsman View Post
Yea, we have a TD in WI who has done something similar to this a few times. He will run an event with added cash and if no one signs up for pro masters then he will just play pro masters and take a cut of the added cash.
I think this may be what the OP may have been talking about in the original post.
Some situations just don't seem on the up and up...

Personally played in tourneys where the TD was a Pro and he played and nobody thought it strange. The whole busy TD thing must've gotten to him because he usually tanked in the last round.
I have played in tourneys where I was the TD (I'm not a Pro, BTW) but I tanked, so I quit playing and TD'ing in the same tourney.
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 11-02-2019, 10:40 AM
DavidSauls's Avatar
DavidSauls DavidSauls is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Newberry, SC
Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 125
Posts: 15,226
Niced 3,520 Times in 1,530 Posts
Default

Elsewhere, people are complaining about pros who only play, and never run tournaments or do anything to give back.

Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 11-02-2019, 11:57 AM
Emoney's Avatar
Emoney Emoney is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 71
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,004
Niced 276 Times in 163 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Elsewhere, people are complaining about pros who only play, and never run tournaments or do anything to give back.
I have never seen a "pro" doing course maintenance or picking up trash.
Thats what i want to see...

Its an illusion to think the "pro" running a tourney in your small town is a way to give back. Its just a way to make money off you.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 11-02-2019, 02:08 PM
Jay Dub's Avatar
Jay Dub Jay Dub is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SW Ohio
Years Playing: 39.7
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,918
Niced 977 Times in 375 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoney View Post
I have never seen a "pro" doing course maintenance or picking up trash.
Thats what i want to see...

Its an illusion to think the "pro" running a tourney in your small town is a way to give back. Its just a way to make money off you.
Running a tournament, even a local one, is still a lot of work. If a pro does that and then wins I see no problem with that.
I disagree, it is giving back. The locals know all the pros, they don't have to participate if they think it's unfair.
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 11-02-2019, 06:42 PM
Emoney's Avatar
Emoney Emoney is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 71
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,004
Niced 276 Times in 163 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
Running a tournament, even a local one, is still a lot of work. If a pro does that and then wins I see no problem with that.
I disagree, it is giving back. The locals know all the pros, they don't have to participate if they think it's unfair.
Idk. I dont usually put financial incentive and "giving back" in the same sentence.
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 11-02-2019, 07:12 PM
Jay Dub's Avatar
Jay Dub Jay Dub is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SW Ohio
Years Playing: 39.7
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,918
Niced 977 Times in 375 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoney View Post
Idk. I dont usually put financial incentive and "giving back" in the same sentence.
TDs are not going to be running tournaments for free for very much longer. If you TD a tournament you should get some $$ for it. Running a tournament is definitely "giving back" even if they get paid for it.

Reply With Quote
 

  #120  
Old 11-02-2019, 07:49 PM
Casey 1988 Casey 1988 is offline
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Pierre, South Dakota, USA
Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,753
Niced 786 Times in 667 Posts
Default

Only thing I see w to be a flaw is if the Pro/National Tour touring pro has set up the tournament is the Tournament director and then plays it, even worse if they had designed/modified the actual the course to their unique playing style not just the tournament to have OB and mandatory's to what the Touring Pro does play best. This is unfair bending of rules in the way they were probably not really designed to be used in most circumstance.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 11-02-2019 at 07:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The pros on your local course cjrogus General Disc Golf Chat 92 03-31-2014 09:46 AM
local tournaments in central ohio valiant Tournaments & Leagues 3 01-23-2012 12:37 PM
Pros and IPods during tournaments RHINESEL General Disc Golf Chat 66 09-21-2010 06:42 PM
shout out to the local pros bthoma1 General Disc Golf Chat 1 02-09-2010 08:43 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.