Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 11-08-2019, 08:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 91
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,140 Times in 573 Posts

Beat in stable discs tend to be more predictable in their flight and not as affected by wind. Off the shelf understable discs tend to get squirrely when they wear in. The wider the rim gets, the more pronounced these differences can be.

I prefer to wear in a stable disc and use that. The bad part is when you lose that worn in disc...unless you've been using the same molds for years and have a good cycle set up, that can really affect your lineup. For example, I lost a beat up z undertaker this fall that had been in my bag 2 years. That forced me to find something that flew similar off the shelf (lucky for me I have a bunch of pipelines just for that reason)

So ask yourself this: Do you want to cycle raiders, or go find another shryke that flies just right when the one you have gets too flippy? It's a conundrum, and I think the correct answer is subjective to each individual.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2019, 09:15 AM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 170
Niced 728 Times in 333 Posts

For you I would cycle Raiders. The issue that you are going to run into is trying to replace your perfect shryke with another shryke. If you cycle then you will most likely have a raider that fits the bill.

Niced: (2)
Old 11-08-2019, 09:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.5
Courses Played: 248
Niced 1,730 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsman View Post
For you I would cycle Raiders. The issue that you are going to run into is trying to replace your perfect shryke with another shryke. If you cycle then you will most likely have a raider that fits the bill.
Or go find a disc, out of the box, that flies like your beat in Raider. I am not a cycle guy. With the hundreds of molds in their varied plastics, I honestly believe that there is an, out of the box mold, that fits your needs. I play with new plastic and shelf (give away) discs, once their flight characteristics change significantly. It avoids losing that perfectly seasoned disc that is now irreplaceable.

Tis a pretty old debate, cycle vs new.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-08-2019, 10:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 219
Niced 1,971 Times in 1,133 Posts

also of recent i cant stand looking for green or yellow discs

if one was pink vs green i dont care what the mold is of the two i would say close enough and bag the pink

Old 11-08-2019, 10:55 AM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,449 Times in 745 Posts

My experience with naturally US discs is that they lose HSS quickly and lose their magic pretty fast. I also have found that certain molds season to fly lines that comparable new molds just can't. Late turn being one of those.

It sounds like you've answered your own question with the pros of the Raider over the Shryke. Keep the Shryke for if you lose a seasoned Raider and don't have a seasoned backup.

Niced: (2)
Old 11-08-2019, 10:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 46
Niced 4,348 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
My experience with naturally US discs is that they lose HSS quickly and lose their magic pretty fast. I also have found that certain molds season to fly lines that comparable new molds just can't. Late turn being one of those.

It sounds like you've answered your own question with the pros of the Raider over the Shryke. Keep the Shryke for if you lose a seasoned Raider and don't have a seasoned backup.
Bingo, well put.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 536 Times in 343 Posts

I would say shelve the Shryke until you lose that Raider that overlaps it.

Argument could be made for just bagging both, or bagging "what you like more," but clearly the dissonance from the overlap is bugging you, so just shelve the Skryke. Tadaaa!
Old 11-08-2019, 01:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 46
Niced 4,348 Times in 1,816 Posts

I like how people just assume it's a forgone conclusion he's going to lose the seasoned Raider...

Old 11-08-2019, 01:38 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 136 Times in 105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
I like how people just assume it's a forgone conclusion he's going to lose the seasoned Raider...
The more I like a disc the more I will slice, dice and sacrifice my time to find it. I have a super beat Volt that flies a lot like a couple other discs I use; I like it more, but if there's a course with lots of water, you can bet I'm leaving the volt in the bag and adding in one of the other discs if that's what the shot requires.

Just because you have your bag doesn't mean you can't add or take away discs based on the course/situation/time of year/etc

I'd say bag the Raider and keep the Shryke. I prefer sacrificing a bit of distance to improve accuracy-that's a much better strategy for saving strokes. If you're playing a longer course, say a golf course, and you don't need the accuracy on a huge 900' open hole, and need that extra 50' or so, bag the Shryke and let er rip. If you're worried ab your perfectly seasoned Raider on a water hole, bag the Shryke. Just my .02

Old 11-08-2019, 01:43 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 308 Times in 176 Posts

Just FYI, the Shryke has the same rim width as a Destroyer/Scorpius/DD3/PD2/XCal, if you prefer the Shryke over your beat-in Raider and want something else in the OS Shryke slot...

Last edited by jjmiller; 11-08-2019 at 01:46 PM.