Old 11-12-2019, 06:28 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 123
Niced 243 Times in 94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscJunkie View Post

You want a Roc or a Firebird or a Destroyer or a TB?
Yeah, DD and Lat64 and Legacy and Discraft sells one of those, they just call it a different name.
This is not true. I'm not wading in to say one company is better than the other. I'm saying I've tried a lot of discs from a lot of different brands and I haven't found anything that flies quite like a Teebird. Maybe some Legacy Rivals. Nothing that Trilogy has though.
Same with Firebirds. Sure, other companies have speed 9ish overstable stuff, including Trilogy, but they don't fly like a Firebird. The differences are important.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2019, 07:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.6
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,717 Times in 558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
Partridge Family?
Sure, that's a better comparison. But like the sophisticated drunk said, "Bartender, give me an entendre. And make it a double!"

Niced: (3)
Old 11-12-2019, 08:03 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.8
Courses Played: 140
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 417 Times in 185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
So, DD is the Kardashians of disc golf?
Quote:
Partridge Family?
Manson family?...
Old 11-12-2019, 08:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 212
Niced 286 Times in 170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
So, DD is the Kardashians of disc golf?
Quote:
Partridge Family?
Call it whatever you want. What I do know id there is one company that gets 1500-some-odd disc golfers to a small town in northeastern Kansas once a year for a whole week of huge tournament/events. And it's done without the traditional Am payout for more than 1200 of them.

Don't think I've ever seen or heard of that kind of weeklong in-person commitment achieved by those above. It's more than "just" social media.

Old 11-12-2019, 11:45 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 21.6
Courses Played: 123
Niced 17 Times in 10 Posts

DD runs good events thats for sure. but they aren't doing it out of the goodness of their heart. its a business. They know no payout big players pack = more disc sales

Niced: (1)
Old 11-13-2019, 08:11 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 244 Times in 166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvphobic View Post
I always find it funny when people complain about DD's "In your face social media". People realize that you and unsubscribe from any social media/player that you want. It isn't like they are jumping into public forums and shoving it in people's faces.
I have unsubscribed to all their channels/podcasts because they disguise advertisements as content. They have some good stuff, but 3/4's of the DGAM is talking about their plastic. They have every right to do that, it's just not good content in my eyes, and not really worth the time. I think DD is a great brand, and does awesome for the sport, but why I'm jaded on the company has more to do with fanboys than the brand itself.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-13-2019, 08:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,506 Times in 861 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjacko View Post
I have unsubscribed to all their channels/podcasts because they disguise advertisements as content. They have some good stuff, but 3/4's of the DGAM is talking about their plastic. They have every right to do that, it's just not good content in my eyes, and not really worth the time. I think DD is a great brand, and does awesome for the sport, but why I'm jaded on the company has more to do with fanboys than the brand itself.
But every time a manufacturer makes a video it’s going to be a “disguise advertisements as content” ?

The “problem” seems to be that DD actually makes content that’s is more than just a commercial

I rather have content that I can choose to see or not to see....to have no content at all

Discraft basically had no content for years..now they do..but most are commercials ..but I like it

Most of Prodigy’s content is the players vlogs..but it well made, but I would like to have more

Innova makes nice in-the-bags but not much more

Niced: (2)
Old 11-13-2019, 09:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 91
Niced 1,140 Times in 573 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkgreen View Post
This is not true. I'm not wading in to say one company is better than the other. I'm saying I've tried a lot of discs from a lot of different brands and I haven't found anything that flies quite like a Teebird. Maybe some Legacy Rivals. Nothing that Trilogy has though.
Same with Firebirds. Sure, other companies have speed 9ish overstable stuff, including Trilogy, but they don't fly like a Firebird. The differences are important.
Maybe to players like us, sure.

Paul proved last season that it doesn't matter what the Pros throw, and all discs can be worked with if you actually have some elite skill. How far did Ricky slide after changing his whole bag again, to the 4th company in like 6 or 7 years?
Old 11-13-2019, 10:11 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 151
Niced 3,829 Times in 1,580 Posts

Quote:
The differences are subtle at best. It's fine if you prefer a Firebird to brand X's equivalent. Or a Teebird. Or whatever disc. You throw what you feel works best for you.

Every disc is unique, but I've yet to see a disc so unique that it couldn't be adequately (note I'm not saying exactly or perfectly) replaced by a disc from another brand. And if you're a good player, you'll be able to make things work no matter the brand of disc.

If you took 100 random players and gave each of them a brand-new, unthrown Firebird, Ahti, Felon, Pioneer, H1, FD3, and Raptor, and have them throw all of them in a blind test, my guess is no one disc is going to stand out as better than the rest. You're going to find people preferring different discs for different reasons...feel, grip, flight, etc...but they'll all agree that each disc does the job expected of a speed 9ish overstable driver.

Old 11-13-2019, 10:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 40
Niced 513 Times in 212 Posts

Quote:
First, apologies for the thread drift.

I've got maybe a couple dozen FB's, from DX to FAF to Glo to Champ, to G* and have had Stars and Pro's and KC Pro's and CE.
Everything from U/S to wicked O/S.
Pretty much the same variation with Rocs and TBs.

The kind of variation in most of these molds, from all the mfrs' (especially Innova) has convinced me that very few molds are really unique, and from my experience, TB's and FB's are not that unique - as a mold (although you may have a disc or two that fly particularly well for you).
Those two, and Rocs, are probably the most copied molds.

We can just agree to dis-agree.

Niced: (3)

Last edited by DiscJunkie; 11-13-2019 at 10:25 AM.
Closed Thread